RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn on/off Air Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 06:31 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

The compressor not only cools, but also controls humidity even on 20 year old cars. On the hybrids the compressor is driven by a little motor and so there is no drain on horse power or MPG.
When the air conditioner comes on and it is too cool, I just raise the temp to "turn off" the air flow from the vents or I just go directly to the dash button that manages where the air flow is directed and make the air flow go to my feet. The only problem with the later is that the system is not on Auto any longer.
Old 04-17-21, 07:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Following-Up on my previous post

This is the "OFF "button I use to turn off the fan and it does it instantly, it does not, however, turn off the compressor, but the cooling stops immediately.

The following users liked this post:
dibl (04-17-21)
Old 04-17-21, 07:10 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

A/C does not only cool air, its main function is to remove moisture from the air to make cooling or heating it much more efficient. The reason Lexus has taken away the A/C button is because the compressor should be running in most all situations. You need A/C to cool the interior, run the defrosters, and provide heat. Many people have this misconception that A/C makes air cold. No, it conditions the air.
Old 04-17-21, 08:34 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
This is the "OFF "button I use to turn off the fan and it does it instantly, it does not, however, turn off the compressor, but the cooling stops immediately.

How do you know it turns off the compressor? I thought it just redirected the air.
Old 04-17-21, 08:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by golferjack
How do you know it turns off the compressor? I thought it just redirected the air.
I said it does NOT turn the compressor off, but it does stop the fan thereby stopping the cooling
Old 04-17-21, 09:04 AM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I said it does NOT turn the compressor off, but it does stop the fan thereby stopping the cooling
Forgive me but how redirecting airflow button stops the fan? I am puzzled))
Old 04-17-21, 10:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by artem123
Forgive me but how redirecting airflow button stops the fan? I am puzzled))
Where does it say that by turning off the fan one redirects the airflow? The airflow stops completely until you reset it by pushing the auto button or the fan button you can then select how the flow will blow air.
Old 04-17-21, 01:29 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Where does it say that by turning off the fan one redirects the airflow? The airflow stops completely until you reset it by pushing the auto button or the fan button you can then select how the flow will blow air.
lol)
your red trim removal spatula pointing on airflow button. That confused me. I am easily confused nowadays)
Old 04-17-21, 03:06 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by artem123
lol)
your red trim removal spatula pointing on airflow button. That confused me. I am easily confused nowadays)
You and me both, there are times when I think that I'm playing Who's on First all by myself! :-)
The following users liked this post:
artem123 (04-17-21)
Old 04-18-21, 07:04 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bylan
A/C does not only cool air, its main function is to remove moisture from the air to make cooling or heating it much more efficient. The reason Lexus has taken away the A/C button is because the compressor should be running in most all situations. You need A/C to cool the interior, run the defrosters, and provide heat. Many people have this misconception that A/C makes air cold. No, it conditions the air.
I'm sorry Bylan but there is no "misconception that A/C makes the air cold". It lowers the airs temperature. Period. The evaporator is usually 40 degrees F. As a result when warmer air passes over the evaporator the water vapor in the air, humidity, condenses on the evaporator coils thus lowering the relative humidity in the cabin which makes it easier for your sweat to evaporate making you feel more comfortable. So to keep the cabin at 72 degrees you have to heat the air coming off the evaporator.
Old 04-19-21, 02:32 AM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus
I'm sorry Bylan but there is no "misconception that A/C makes the air cold". It lowers the airs temperature. Period. The evaporator is usually 40 degrees F. As a result when warmer air passes over the evaporator the water vapor in the air, humidity, condenses on the evaporator coils thus lowering the relative humidity in the cabin which makes it easier for your sweat to evaporate making you feel more comfortable. So to keep the cabin at 72 degrees you have to heat the air coming off the evaporator.
A/c's can also heat... An ac condenser is a form of heat exchange and the direction in temp doesnt matter, an ac can be used to heat or cool. The only difference of a heat pump and traditional ac is that a heat pump has a reverse flow valve which allows it to heat and also cool air temps while providing the benefits of acting as a dehumidifier.
Old 04-19-21, 10:36 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
A/c's can also heat... An ac condenser is a form of heat exchange and the direction in temp doesnt matter, an ac can be used to heat or cool. The only difference of a heat pump and traditional ac is that a heat pump has a reverse flow valve which allows it to heat and also cool air temps while providing the benefits of acting as a dehumidifier.
Is this a Lexus feature?
Old 04-27-21, 10:31 AM
kentuckyed
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to also chime in here. Our 6 month owned CPO 2018 RX350 must go through the mouse interface to turn ON the A/C in a manner that makes sense to me. Other button push sequences may also turn it ON but it's not an intuitive process, for me at least. I realize that pushing a defroster button will likely turn the A/C ON to get the demister function, but that's definitely not intuitive for my wife. I'm just now teaching my wife how to use the mouse to turn the A/C ON. Remember, first hot season with this car so it's all new to her. The lack of a hard A/C ON button is just in keeping with the non-intuitive man-machine interface on this car.