RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 vs. MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 02:21 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skarface
That's sounds like a great deal. I'm basically shooting for under $45k otd with a $48k MSRP. I'm in Maryland with the same 6% tax. I'm thinking that might actually be doable closer to the end of the year after seeing your deal. Especially if the 2017 model is already out. Thanks for the information.
$48,000 MSRP and $ $45,000 OTD ? Sounds like you would need to get about 12% off of the MSRP. It may be possible the since the new models will be out and the 2016 will be one model year old. You take a hit either way-- at the beginning or at the end. Good Luck. You might want to try Sam Kim at Lexus of Siler Spring now and see what they will do. I bought my car there about three weeks ago.
301-680-0400
Old 04-18-16, 02:24 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Would you say the 2016 is quick, slow, average? Similar to the poster above, I don't want to get caught with no power if I need to pass or merge. Any issues with that?
You might be interested in this video of me driving my 2016 RX 350. You will see that it handles really well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0018f9cba5736
Old 04-18-16, 02:29 PM
skarface
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cec327
You might be interested in this video of me driving my 2016 RX 350. You will see that it handles really well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0018f9cba5736
Wow, handling looks amazing. Thanks!
Old 04-18-16, 02:31 PM
skarface
Rookie

$48,000 MSRP and $ $45,000 OTD ? Sounds like you would need to get about 12% off of the MSRP. It may be possible the since the new models will be out and the 2016 will be one model year old. You take a hit either way-- at the beginning or at the end. Good Luck. You might want to try Sam Kim at Lexus of Siler Spring now and see what they will do. I bought my car there about three weeks ago.
301-680-0400
Good point, if the 2017 is already released and I can get 10% off of it, I'd be better off getting it instead of a leftover 2016 (unless they were going more than 12% off the 2016)
Old 04-18-16, 05:07 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Good point, if the 2017 is already released and I can get 10% off of it, I'd be better off getting it instead of a leftover 2016 (unless they were going more than 12% off the 2016)
I wonder if you could get 12% off now? Never know unless you ask. You might be surprised.
Old 04-18-16, 05:53 PM
skarface
Rookie

I wonder if you could get 12% off now? Never know unless you ask. You might be surprised.
I was thinking it would be a great deal but doable now. If not I don't really want to spend more than $45k so I might just go with the MDX since it's less with more space.
Old 04-19-16, 06:14 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

What is everyone's opinion on the RX 350 vs. MDX? If the third row wouldn't get much use is it a clear choice to get the Lexus? I don't need the navigation so I don't see the value of the Tech package on the MDX minus the blind spot monitor.

A RX350 with the moonroof packaging (~$48k MSRP) seems like a better value but I'm trying to see if I should wait until 2017 when the Safety features are supposedly standard on the Lexus and Acura.

What do you all think? Any regrets getting the Lexus?
I had a 2005 and then a 2008 MDX and both were great vehicles, the 2008 with the SHAWD was fun to drive. I can't say anything bad about them. Bought a new TL in 2011 that is now my middle sons car and it has also been great for the 5 years we've had it. I have known Acura's to be very reliable.

A year and a half ago when we were finally getting out of the ML350, we test drove a 2015 MDX SHAWD / Tech with under 600 miles on it and we were left disappointed. While the MDX had better acceleration than the RX especially in sport mode, is bigger inside the fit and finish of the MDX left a lot to be desired IMO. There were several complaints posted on Acurazine by MDX owners about this, but I wasn't going to let that make a decision for me.

At around 50 MPH there was wind noise right behind my ear coming from the drivers door and my wife noticed that the right air vent on the dash was vibrating and making noise going over bumps, and it wasn't aligned properly. When I turned the steering wheel you would hear a slight scratching noise. So I pulled into a parking lot and while stopped I turned the wheel all the way left to right and confirmed the noise. I understand that this was a vehicle used for test drives but still, it had less than 600 miles on it.

The 2015 MDX I drove had the 6 speed trans so it shifted fine. But now that they put the 9 speed trans in it from the TLX, the trans that has given them so many problems in regards to rough shifting I would take it on an extended test drive.

I know that they have updated the trans to work out most of the bugs from the TLX, but regardless I would still be careful. Also, some people have complained about the push button trans being very difficult to get used to even after using it for several thousand miles. So make sure you feel you can live with the buttons.

If you decide on the MDX I think you would be better off waiting for the 2017 because hopefully by then they have all of the bugs worked out on the trans.

After our MDX test drive we went to the Lexus dealer and test drove the 2015 RX F Sport. Immediately we noticed how much better the fit and finish was compared to the MDX. And even though we test drove the F Sport, which rides much stiffer than the regular RX, IMO it was quieter and so much more refined than the MDX. While there was some road noise (not too bad) with the MDX there was barely any with the RX.

As far as having any regrets getting the Lexus.. We have had it for over a year and a half, and while no car or SUV is perfect IMO the RX is pretty close when compared to others. So NO regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by JT4; 04-19-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-19-16, 10:41 AM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by JT4
I had a 2005 and then a 2008 MDX and both were great vehicles, the 2008 with the SHAWD was fun to drive. I can't say anything bad about them. Bought a new TL in 2011 that is now my middle sons car and it has also been great for the 5 years we've had it. I have known Acura's to be very reliable.

A year and a half ago when we were finally getting out of the ML350, we test drove a 2015 MDX SHAWD / Tech with under 600 miles on it and we were left disappointed. While the MDX had better acceleration than the RX especially in sport mode, is bigger inside the fit and finish of the MDX left a lot to be desired IMO. There were several complaints posted on Acurazine by MDX owners about this, but I wasn't going to let that make a decision for me.

At around 50 MPH there was wind noise right behind my ear coming from the drivers door and my wife noticed that the right air vent on the dash was vibrating and making noise going over bumps, and it wasn't aligned properly. When I turned the steering wheel you would hear a slight scratching noise. So I pulled into a parking lot and while stopped I turned the wheel all the way left to right and confirmed the noise. I understand that this was a vehicle used for test drives but still, it had less than 600 miles on it.

The 2015 MDX I drove had the 6 speed trans so it shifted fine. But now that they put the 9 speed trans in it from the TLX, the trans that has given them so many problems in regards to rough shifting I would take it on an extended test drive.

I know that they have updated the trans to work out most of the bugs from the TLX, but regardless I would still be careful. Also, some people have complained about the push button trans being very difficult to get used to even after using it for several thousand miles. So make sure you feel you can live with the buttons.

If you decide on the MDX I think you would be better off waiting for the 2017 because hopefully by then they have all of the bugs worked out on the trans.

After our MDX test drive we went to the Lexus dealer and test drove the 2015 RX F Sport. Immediately we noticed how much better the fit and finish was compared to the MDX. And even though we test drove the F Sport, which rides much stiffer than the regular RX, IMO it was quieter and so much more refined than the MDX. While there was some road noise (not too bad) with the MDX there was barely any with the RX.

As far as having any regrets getting the Lexus.. We have had it for over a year and a half, and while no car or SUV is perfect IMO the RX is pretty close when compared to others. So NO regrets.

Good luck with your decision.
Great input, thanks for the information. If you had driven a tester with better build quality do you think your opinion would be different? I think the fit and finish of lexus is much better but not all of the Acuras are put together sloppily like people have been seeing. As long as the one I pick out is good i won't hold it against them lol.
Old 04-19-16, 12:26 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Great input, thanks for the information. If you had driven a tester with better build quality do you think your opinion would be different? I think the fit and finish of lexus is much better but not all of the Acuras are put together sloppily like people have been seeing. As long as the one I pick out is good i won't hold it against them lol.
Tester being a bad product, I can attest to that as well on my 16 Test Drive. However the common rear suspension noise I still have not personally heard. but the hissing noise was uber annoying.

If your set on the 16, wait for the 17 MDX pricing figures to drop and inventory to come to the lots. The killer deals will be then.
Old 04-19-16, 12:45 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Tester being a bad product, I can attest to that as well on my 16 Test Drive. However the common rear suspension noise I still have not personally heard. but the hissing noise was uber annoying.

If your set on the 16, wait for the 17 MDX pricing figures to drop and inventory to come to the lots. The killer deals will be then.
Unless I get offered a great deal on a 2016 or my current car dies I plan to wait until the 2017s are released. But I kind of do feel like I'm playing a bit of a game of Russian Roulette if I grab an MDX.

Im seeing some complaints about hesitation and odd behavior from the lexus 8 speed. Have you all experienced that?
Old 04-19-16, 04:08 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Unless I get offered a great deal on a 2016 or my current car dies I plan to wait until the 2017s are released. But I kind of do feel like I'm playing a bit of a game of Russian Roulette if I grab an MDX.

Im seeing some complaints about hesitation and odd behavior from the lexus 8 speed. Have you all experienced that?
The 2016 Murano or Hyundai Santa Fe might be vehicles to consider since they would be below $45k.
Old 04-19-16, 07:09 PM
skarface
Rookie

The 2016 Murano or Hyundai Santa Fe might be vehicles to consider since they would be below $45k.
I already got quotes for the mdx under $43k. I'd rather go with that then either of the two vehicles you mentioned.
Old 04-20-16, 06:07 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I know Acura's are put together well because in my experience owning three of them, the fit and finish was always great. Our 2011 TL- Tech is five years old this month and has required nothing but scheduled maintenance and is still as solid as it was new. No squeaks, rattles nothing.. I hope I didn't just jinx myself..

That is why when we were considering the 2015 MDX I had to see it for myself when I read all the complaints about the poor fit and finish. But again, in all fairness that was a year and a half ago so if I had to guess I am sure Acura took care of any of those quality issues since then.

In all honesty even if the fit and finish of the tester MDX was what I had been used to with my previous Acura's, the refinement of the RX and overall look of the F Sport would have still pushed us towards the Lexus.

And even though styling is a personal preference, and IMO the MDX is a good looking vehicle, my wife really loved the way the F Sport looked, and we both felt it looked much sportier compared to the MDX.
Old 04-20-16, 10:52 AM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by JT4
I know Acura's are put together well because in my experience owning three of them, the fit and finish was always great. Our 2011 TL- Tech is five years old this month and has required nothing but scheduled maintenance and is still as solid as it was new. No squeaks, rattles nothing.. I hope I didn't just jinx myself..

That is why when we were considering the 2015 MDX I had to see it for myself when I read all the complaints about the poor fit and finish. But again, in all fairness that was a year and a half ago so if I had to guess I am sure Acura took care of any of those quality issues since then.

In all honesty even if the fit and finish of the tester MDX was what I had been used to with my previous Acura's, the refinement of the RX and overall look of the F Sport would have still pushed us towards the Lexus.

And even though styling is a personal preference, and IMO the MDX is a good looking vehicle, my wife really loved the way the F Sport looked, and we both felt it looked much sportier compared to the MDX.
I was pretty set on getting the MDX until the new rx came out. I agree, it makes the mdx look outdated and plain (even though the mdx is quicker, the RX looks sportier). But with the 2017 refresh that might give the mdx the advantage in my eyes again.
Old 09-16-16, 09:31 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

3rd Gen MDX vs 4th Gen RX350

We
have both models and to be honest, after driving both I have to give the MDX the upper hand on their IDS option to switch between comfort, normal, and sport driving systems. I was disappointed Lexus didn't offer that. The MDX driver seat is more comfortable as it hugs your body more, BUT I haven't worn in the 4RX seats yet (only at 300 miles). Lumbar on the RX doesn't feel natural yet, but I still need to break in the seats more. The leather quality on Lexus is much better than the MDX. The acceleration is faster and more responsive on the MDX. We do have two kids at 3 & 5 and they love both SUVs, but it's nice when they love to sit in the 3rd row away from us which sort of gives passengers in front more privacy.

I feel the ride is too soft and floaty for the RX so maybe after I upgrade to 20's or 22's I can feel the road a little more.

Our other option was the 2015 Audi Q7 S-Line of which the kids said the ride was "bumpy" and there were no other driving modes either.

Quick Reply: RX350 vs. MDX?