RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 vs. MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 08:20 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
I agree the MDX does not measure up to an Rx. I would love to replace my 2014 MDX AWD with a Lexus 350 Rx (fully optioned) provided the lane keeping improved and I could have Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I think Lexus is inching towards smart phone connectivity, but it may not move fast on the more stronger lane keeping, being a bit conservative in making big changes.

My mother in law's observation is that Lexus RX is way smoother and less bumpy than the MDX. At her age she can sense the degree of smoothness of the ride.
If you have some time I would get some seat time in the MDX advanced packages open pore wood trim. Removes the cheapness out of the ultra shiny plastic wood in the MDXers of this generation. If you have some time I`d wager sitting in the new RDX lines to see what is it come in the next MDX that is around the corner. The RX feels better, well put together but still is plastic central inside. BMW and Volvo more so interiors use plastic but somehow make you forget that and focus on metal/cf accents and wood trim with different grains.
Old 07-27-18, 05:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by skarface
The better performance, mpg, cargo space, and price is what keeps the Acura in the running. I test drove the Lexus and it was a little 'soft' with handling. But it definitely looks better than the 2016 MDX. I'll have to see the 2017 to see if they made the interior more luxurious but the Lexus wins in that department too. I guess I'm just hesitant to switch over since my current MDX has been so good. It looks like no one is bashing the Lexus much over here compared to the MDX, which is another plus for the Lexus.

How's the real world city MPG with the Lexus? That's where I do most of my driving.
forget city mpg. It's a fuel hog but still love it.
Old 10-20-19, 01:53 PM
ISeeThruYo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016/2017 RX350 vs MDX

Hello all -

I am in the market for a used car (less than $35000) and have been doing a ton of research. Everything I have read is pointing me toward a RX350 - reliability, smooth ride, and nice interior. The only problem with Lexus is there is no Lexus dealer where I live - the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away. If i bought on I would buy one without a warranty and use a local repair shop for any issues.

Because of this, I have been looking at the Acura MDX (there is an Acura dealer where I live). However everything I have read seems to indicate that it is an inferior vehicle - particularly in regards to reliability of the MDX. This concerns me as I normally drive cars up to about 80000-100000K miles before I trade them in.

So my question is would you still buy a Lexus if there was no dealer located near you?

Thanks
Old 10-20-19, 04:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISeeThruYo
Hello all -

I am in the market for a used car (less than $35000) and have been doing a ton of research. Everything I have read is pointing me toward a RX350 - reliability, smooth ride, and nice interior. The only problem with Lexus is there is no Lexus dealer where I live - the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away. If i bought on I would buy one without a warranty and use a local repair shop for any issues.

Because of this, I have been looking at the Acura MDX (there is an Acura dealer where I live). However everything I have read seems to indicate that it is an inferior vehicle - particularly in regards to reliability of the MDX. This concerns me as I normally drive cars up to about 80000-100000K miles before I trade them in.

So my question is would you still buy a Lexus if there was no dealer located near you?

Thanks
Why not - any qualified mechanic can maintain it for you. No need for a dealer unless its warranty or recall related.
Old 10-20-19, 07:20 PM
ISeeThruYo
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at getting one with less than 30k miles.

thanks for the update on the known issues. Any other systemic issues know?

just perusing the threads here it looks like some people have had transmissions go out (big $$$$ to repair on my own). However, sounds somewhat isolated.

also reading about fluid leaking from the engine and having to remove the engine to fix it - also sound line it would be big money without warranty. Not sure how common this is.

any others?
Old 10-21-19, 05:08 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

Hello all -

Thanks
My maintenance is every 10,000 miles I take it in for an oil change and tire rotation. Every 30,000 miles a brake fluid change. the cabin and air filters both take combined less then 5 minutes to change. I take ours most of the time to our local Toyota dealership which is usually about 35% less. I would certainly buy a Lexus without a dealer in town especially if there is a Toyota dealership.
Old 10-21-19, 05:13 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

Hello all -

I have been looking at the Acura MDX (there is an Acura dealer where I live). However everything I have read seems to indicate that it is an inferior vehicle - particularly in regards to reliability of the MDX. This concerns me as I normally drive cars up to about 80000-100000K miles before I trade them in.

Thanks
Above stated have owned ten Acuras. Moved over to Lexus six years ago. A great move because noticed a trend of the newer Acuras will not built as well. Acura use to be in the top five in dependability 6-7 years ago. Since then they have dropped a few positions every year. Currently they are 26 out of 31 in reliability. Consumer Reports list every year their ten dogs to avoid. The MDX is on that list. That is enough for me to run.

Last edited by Freds430; 10-20-20 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 09:27 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Hello all -
Thanks
Not sure what I'd do in your shoes. As long as there is a good local shop that you trust and is knowledgeable regarding Lexus', you could go with it. But you'll probably still have a Lexus warranty, which presents the 200 mile problem. While Lexus is an extremely reliable vehicle, let's face it, anything can happen. If you have a Toyota dealer nearer to you, it's possible they could handle warranty issues for you, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 10-21-19, 09:38 AM
ISeeThruYo
Driver School Candidate

I call the Toyota dealer in our town a while back and spoke with the service manager - they do not do Lexus warranty service.

With all the negativity in the MDX, I will probably stay away.

Another option would be a 2017 Highlander limited platinum although from what I have read it sounds like there are issues with transmissions dying prematurely due to a error from the factory (presumably this would be covered under warranty).
Old 10-21-19, 10:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Highlander has a different transmission than the RX?
Old 10-21-19, 06:13 PM
ISeeThruYo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Highlander has a different transmission than the RX?

Not sure if the Highlander and RX350 have the same transmission, but people are having a lot of problems with the highlander transmissions:
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...mission-issues

Here is the TSB on the issue: https://toyotatalk.com/wp-content/up...ducedpower.pdf

sorry for getting off topic.
Old 10-22-19, 06:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if the Highlander and RX350 have the same transmission, but people are having a lot of problems with the highlander transmissions:
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...mission-issues

Here is the TSB on the issue: https://toyotatalk.com/wp-content/up...ducedpower.pdf

sorry for getting off topic.
Yeah that would be good to know but I haven't read of any widespread tranny issues with the RX other than the clumsy shifting drivers are unhappy with.
Old 10-22-19, 10:44 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 MDX with 204k miles, no major problems, original transmission too. average mpg is 21.

Lexus RX is smoother and more luxury but the new redesign 2021 MDX should be even better.
Old 10-22-19, 11:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimxo
I have a 2014 MDX with 204k miles, no major problems, original transmission too. average mpg is 21.

Lexus RX is smoother and more luxury but the new redesign 2021 MDX should be even better.
That's great longevity. Did you change the tranny fluid often?
Old 10-22-19, 01:29 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo

Wow, that's almost 41k a year. You must live in it!

Quick Reply: RX350 vs. MDX?