RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 vs. MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 03:52 PM
skarface
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX350 vs. MDX?

What is everyone's opinion on the RX 350 vs. MDX? If the third row wouldn't get much use is it a clear choice to get the Lexus? I don't need the navigation so I don't see the value of the Tech package on the MDX minus the blind spot monitor.

A RX350 with the moonroof packaging (~$48k MSRP) seems like a better value but I'm trying to see if I should wait until 2017 when the Safety features are supposedly standard on the Lexus and Acura.

What do you all think? Any regrets getting the Lexus?
Old 04-14-16, 04:55 PM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Appearance-wise I hands down love the RX more than the MDX. The RX will also get you better service at the dealership and supposedly has a better track record for reliability. So if you're looking at the same price with similar features and the 3rd row doesn't matter then I would personally go with the RX.
I was looking between the two vehicles when I purchased my RX and feature for feature the prices were similar at MSRP (MDX will likely be cheaper if you factor in negotiating power for pricing). However, I was looking to get the F Sport package which brought up the price by $8000 for me here in Canada and didn't quite get too many more features in it other than the aesthetics and Sport S+. I ended up getting $3500 off but still quite a bit more in comparison but definitely do not regret getting the RX over the MDX.
Old 04-14-16, 06:05 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by skarface
What is everyone's opinion on the RX 350 vs. MDX? If the third row wouldn't get much use is it a clear choice to get the Lexus? I don't need the navigation so I don't see the value of the Tech package on the MDX minus the blind spot monitor.

A RX350 with the moonroof packaging (~$48k MSRP) seems like a better value but I'm trying to see if I should wait until 2017 when the Safety features are supposedly standard on the Lexus and Acura.

What do you all think? Any regrets getting the Lexus?
If you don't need the 3rd row then I don't see a point in getting the MDX. It should be RX all the way.

BTW ... where did you read/hear about 2017 RX having all safety features (ADAS features I assume) standard?
Old 04-14-16, 06:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If your in need of a new vehicle try out Both the Lexus and the Acura and assess from there what sutis your needs the best. But imo the Lexus is the better sorted product of the two

Side note and purely based on observations:

If your doing a lease on the MDX then and ONLY then should you go for it. The third Gen MDX is a terrible product in terms of fit, finish, and general quality standards. Yes its a great value on paper, where one can attain a Fully specd Advance for $50K + tax on the 16s and higher on the 17, but the forums are virtual **** storm of what broke today. Misaligned panels, infotaiment system troubles, transmission problems, multiple TSBs, and lack of support on the issues like rear suspension noises. I recently had the opportunity to test drive an MDX, and on the test drive at stop signs there was a noticeable static hissing noise. Upon asking the salesmen, he casually informed me this was normal and comes from the 9 speed. (I checked if the radio was on etc, and nothing it was just a noise from somewhere).

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-14-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:12 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Honda's 9-speed transmission are terrible.
Old 04-14-16, 07:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NRX
If you don't need the 3rd row then I don't see a point in getting the MDX. It should be RX all the way.

BTW ... where did you read/hear about 2017 RX having all safety features (ADAS features I assume) standard?
Press Release by Lexus at the NYIAS. 2017 toyota and Lexus are going to offer some parts of the LSS system standard on their models except the GX for Lexus. I say some parts, since they mention FCW/A but then list LSS+.
Old 04-14-16, 07:21 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by NRX

The press release says by the end of 2017 so I guess it could be the 2018 model but Acura announced those features would be standard for the 2017 model so I would think Lexus would follow suit.
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...ndard+2017.htm
Old 04-14-16, 07:40 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If your in need of a new vehicle try out Both the Lexus and the Acura and assess from there what sutis your needs the best. But imo the Lexus is the better sorted product of the two

Side note and purely based on observations:

If your doing a lease on the MDX then and ONLY then should you go for it. The third Gen MDX is a terrible product in terms of fit, finish, and general quality standards. Yes its a great value on paper, where one can attain a Fully specd Advance for $50K + tax on the 16s and higher on the 17, but the forums are virtual **** storm of what broke today. Misaligned panels, infotaiment system troubles, transmission problems, multiple TSBs, and lack of support on the issues like rear suspension noises. I recently had the opportunity to test drive an MDX, and on the test drive at stop signs there was a noticeable static hissing noise. Upon asking the salesmen, he casually informed me this was normal and comes from the 9 speed. (I checked if the radio was on etc, and nothing it was just a noise from somewhere).
Yeah, I have a 2005 MDX that's been solid. It seems like the newer ones have dropped off in quality judging by the posts on MDXers, but they are probably going to be a few grand cheaper than the Lexus which is making the choice a bit difficult.
Old 04-14-16, 08:16 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Originally Posted by skarface
Yeah, I have a 2005 MDX that's been solid. It seems like the newer ones have dropped off in quality judging by the posts on MDXers, but they are probably going to be a few grand cheaper than the Lexus which is making the choice a bit difficult.
My 2005 MDX transmission just died yesterday, I think I got my monies worth out of it as I bought it new and put 155k miles on it. For me personally, I would buy the RX over the MDX for reliability and the RX interior looks more luxurious then the MDX. I have been in the market for the RX but have yet to get a deal I wanted, things have changed now that the MDX is worthless. Kicking myself that I could have sold the MDX for $3500 2 months ago and now they offered me $1200.
Old 04-14-16, 08:49 PM
NRX
Driver

Press Release by Lexus at the NYIAS. 2017 toyota and Lexus are going to offer some parts of the LSS system standard on their models except the GX for Lexus. I say some parts, since they mention FCW/A but then list LSS+.
Cool. Thanks! Safety features should always be standard IMHO. Acura/Honda used to do that and they still are leaders in that segment though not all active safety features are standard.
Old 04-14-16, 08:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NRX
Cool. Thanks! Safety features should always be standard IMHO. Acura/Honda used to do that and they still are leaders in that segment though not all active safety features are standard.
2017 model year the MDX goes standard Active and Passive Safety on all trim levels. So they still have the going.

Heck even their RDX offers more stuff at a lower cost of entry compared to the NX. But the thing that kills is build quality. Without that, there really is no point of paying for extra kit
Old 04-14-16, 08:56 PM
NRX
Driver

2017 model year the MDX goes standard Active and Passive Safety on all trim levels. So they still have the going.

Heck even their RDX offers more stuff at a lower cost of entry compared to the NX. But the thing that kills is build quality. Without that, there really is no point of paying for extra kit
Absolutely! I test drove RX, NX and RDX multiple times and always came away thinking that Acura is now a premium and not a luxury brand. Great value though! A base RX costed more than a loaded RDX (AWD w/ Advance Pkg.)
Old 04-14-16, 10:12 PM
skarface
Rookie

The better performance, mpg, cargo space, and price is what keeps the Acura in the running. I test drove the Lexus and it was a little 'soft' with handling. But it definitely looks better than the 2016 MDX. I'll have to see the 2017 to see if they made the interior more luxurious but the Lexus wins in that department too. I guess I'm just hesitant to switch over since my current MDX has been so good. It looks like no one is bashing the Lexus much over here compared to the MDX, which is another plus for the Lexus.

How's the real world city MPG with the Lexus? That's where I do most of my driving.
Old 04-15-16, 06:48 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent05
My 2005 MDX transmission just died yesterday, I think I got my monies worth out of it as I bought it new and put 155k miles on it.
cars today should run 200 or even 300k miles on the odo

I was disappointed in the new MDX. What were they thinking? The MDX a few years ago was really nice.
Old 04-15-16, 08:18 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Well historically speaking transmissions are a weak point for Honda in general. First Gen mdx had a defect out the gate. Second Gen was probably the most bullet proof. Third Gen is the same. The 6 speed was the same unit from the 2nd Gen so it was good now it's the new zf 9 speed that everyone is complaining about. The refresh will launch with I belive a honda inhouse dual clutch for the hybrid but 9 speed for everyone else.

Quick Reply: RX350 vs. MDX?