RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Crossbars and Thule Cargo Box fits in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19 | 09:41 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bam
I'm interested in purchasing a roof cargo box to carry my snowboards and I've been looking at Thule Pulse Alpine or the Thule Motion XT Alpine. Both of these have a low/flat profile which is basically all I would need to carry my snowboard and some other various items that I can fit in the cargo box. Has anybody installed a roof cargo box? If so, did you use the Lexus crossbars and if so, was it easy to attach to the silver rails that came with the car? I have a '16 with the panoramic roof and I've read that the Lexus crossbars won't work with the pano roof. Can't I just install the Lexus crossbars and not open the pano roof? If you didn't use the Lexus crossbars, did you use the Thule crossbars and if so, which ones did you buy to install with the silver roof rails?

If you have recommendations, please let me know. I'm looking at the Pulse Alpine and the Motion XT Alpine because they have a lower profile so I'm hoping it'll have less of an impact on mpg and will also fit easier in parking garages and parking structures.
I dont have a pano roof - but i still went with the thule kit. I pieced it together via amazon, ebay and REI. i went with the thule route at the time because i was able to get it for about same price as the OEM bars. i opted for the Force box because of amount stuff we need when going on road trips. it surprisingly didnt impact gas mileage as much as i was expecting. we took a 1600 mile (roundtrip) to orlando, FL. 3 adults, 2 small children, full sized 20" spare wheel/tire combo with a packed trunk and cargo box - we still got about 21-22 MPG. The wife got a better average MPG - but i blame that on me being much heavier footed. we averaged about 70-72 miles per hour

Wind noise wasn't terrible - but was definitely noticeable. we have lullaby music and Disney stuff playing the whole ride so the kids could sleep, so the wind noise was not too bad for our trip. we never drove into parking garages, though that was a concern for me.

I was able to install and remove the box alone - you just need to be careful not because the box is heavy.. it is just bulky and unwieldy.

hope this was helpful - if you have any more questions PM me.

List of parts:
Thule 4072 Podium Fit Kit
Thule Aeroblade 47'' Roof Rack/Load Bars
Thule Force L Roof Box
Old 01-06-20 | 12:44 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Nice post man!

Check out my recent setup

It most definitely won't fit in my garage lol

Attachment 385469

New Thule toys!

Attachment 385470

Sonic Cargo Box size Medium- goal was to be able to fit my snowboard and still have ability to open lift gate.

Attachment 385471

Attachment 385472
Just brought a 2019 RX and I was concerned on how a hitch would look on the F-Sport I must saw this looks really good made my decision easier