RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Nightfall mica swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16 | 10:08 AM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

We are going at 5pm today to look at the car again and drive it. The dealership told me all they did was take the plastic off and it hasn't have anything besides a wash yet. I'm still at a loss for how they told us 90-100 days from placing the order for the car to arrive and it's here 3 weeks later. My wife is dead set on the rx350 so worse case scenario we get our money back and go to another Lexus dealer and place an order.
Old 04-28-16 | 10:26 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Tarusse1
We are going at 5pm today to look at the car again and drive it. The dealership told me all they did was take the plastic off and it hasn't have anything besides a wash yet. I'm still at a loss for how they told us 90-100 days from placing the order for the car to arrive and it's here 3 weeks later. My wife is dead set on the rx350 so worse case scenario we get our money back and go to another Lexus dealer and place an order.
Manufacturing month is on the sticker on the driver side. It should say 04/16 if it is manufactured in April.

In Canada dealers can trade orders brute build some we don't have options. We only have packages which area only 6 in total.

Dealers place orders for each package at the cutoff date for deliveries of about 90 days. This is without gagging shy cussing orders, in anticipation. Then if someone at a different dealership wants that package and colour they trade orders.
Old 04-28-16 | 11:13 AM
bwsteg
Driver

All it takes is improper washing/drying to cause swirl marks which are very noticeable on dark color vehicles. this can easily be corrected with some paint correction but are you sure you're up to the task of caring for a dark color car?
Old 04-28-16 | 11:24 AM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

It shouldn't be a problem to care for the car. My truck is black and our X3 is black. We have had a number of new dark vehicles and never once have they arrived with swirl marks.
Old 04-28-16 | 12:51 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

It shouldn't be a problem to care for the car. My truck is black and our X3 is black. We have had a number of new dark vehicles and never once have they arrived with swirl marks.
I am with you. Last three vehicles were Obsidian and Caviar and never had swirling problems even with multiple wax applications!

My next vehicle will also be black
Old 04-28-16 | 01:34 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

I'll be surprised if the build date is actually April. Unless this dealer was slated to get delivery of a vehicle that exactly matches your order. It does exactly match what you ordered, right?

If the only issue is swirl marks in the paint, a reputable auto detailer should be able to fix that. You can certainly make that a condition of accepting the vehicle.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-28-16 | 03:38 PM
Tarusse1
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from driving the car. The build date is 04/16. The swirls we noticed last night are the adhesive from the plastic wrap. The dealer was very good about the whole thing. Car looks and runs great. We will take delivery tomorrow. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 04-28-16 | 04:30 PM
NRX
Driver

Just got back from driving the car. The build date is 04/16. The swirls we noticed last night are the adhesive from the plastic wrap. The dealer was very good about the whole thing. Car looks and runs great. We will take delivery tomorrow. Thanks for all the insight.
That is more like the famous "Lexus experience"

All is well that ends well. Congratulations!
Old 04-29-16 | 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is the beauty of cars being built in North America, it truly can be built and shipped to you within a month.

As to the swirls. Refusing delivery of a car that you have ordered and want because of dealer swirls is a gross overreaction. Dealers are notorious for swirling cars up when prepping them. In fact your swirls may come back, they often cover up swirls with a thick glaze to make the customer go away.

BUT, they are easily repaired by a competent detailer, simply take the car to a good one and have it polished out and it will be better than new.

Never let the dealer wash it when it's unfit service either.
Old 04-29-16 | 06:46 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is the beauty of cars being built in North America, it truly can be built and shipped to you within a month.

As to the swirls. Refusing delivery of a car that you have ordered and want because of dealer swirls is a gross overreaction. Dealers are notorious for swirling cars up when prepping them. In fact your swirls may come back, they often cover up swirls with a thick glaze to make the customer go away.

BUT, they are easily repaired by a competent detailer, simply take the car to a good one and have it polished out and it will be better than new.

Never let the dealer wash it when it's unfit service either.
According to the OP, above, the swirls were left over after removing the plastic wrap from the factory and are gone. They are happy and I doubt these swirls will return
Old 04-29-16 | 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXOwner
According to the OP, above, the swirls were left over after removing the plastic wrap from the factory and are gone. They are happy and I doubt these swirls will return
The plastic wrap would not cause swirls, assuming they were in fact swirls. The plastic wrap would have left behind straight lines of adhesive along the edges of the material. And swirls don't just disappear once they are there...they have to be hidden with a glaze or removed by polishing.

I've been around this a long time, seen tons of cars swirled up by dealers both through detailing communities and myself when I was detailing professionally. I know how they operate. He told them he was unhappy about the swirls, they had plenty of opportunity to cover them up before he came in again. I'm sure they hit it with a rotary and then covered it up with a heavy glaze. I'd bet money they come back in a few weeks as the glaze wears off.

The point is...don't be freaked out by that, it's not a big deal and certainly not worth canceling a sale over. Just find a good detailer and pay them to polish the paint out.
Old 04-29-16 | 09:28 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

The plastic wrap would not cause swirls, assuming they were in fact swirls. The plastic wrap would have left behind straight lines of adhesive along the edges of the material. And swirls don't just disappear once they are there...they have to be hidden with a glaze or removed by polishing.

I've been around this a long time, seen tons of cars swirled up by dealers both through detailing communities and myself when I was detailing professionally. I know how they operate. He told them he was unhappy about the swirls, they had plenty of opportunity to cover them up before he came in again. I'm sure they hit it with a rotary and then covered it up with a heavy glaze. I'd bet money they come back in a few weeks as the glaze wears off.

The point is...don't be freaked out by that, it's not a big deal and certainly not worth canceling a sale over. Just find a good detailer and pay them to polish the paint out.
The OP only thought they were swirls and they turned out not to be. But thanks for keeping me straight on this.

I will be picking up my new LX tomorrow and if I did see swirls from detailing I would be pissed. No need to seek a "good dealer" to get them out as they should not be there to begin with. I would want to know why they were there and doubt I would accept the vehicle, period.

If there are going to be swirls in my obsidian paint job, I want to be the person who puts them there!
Old 04-29-16 | 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you really don't want it swirled I would request that the dealer NOT prep it, and that you either prep it yourself or have a professional do it. I've never seen a halfway decent dealer detail job, and they can easily hide whatever they do to hack it up to where you'll be happy when you take delivery but they will come back once the glaze wears away.

On another note, you're getting an LX? Congratulations!
Old 04-29-16 | 11:59 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

If you really don't want it swirled I would request that the dealer NOT prep it, and that you either prep it yourself or have a professional do it. I've never seen a halfway decent dealer detail job, and they can easily hide whatever they do to hack it up to where you'll be happy when you take delivery but they will come back once the glaze wears away.

On another note, you're getting an LX? Congratulations!
I have bought close to 15 Lexus vehicles from this dealer and each and every vehicle has been immaculate!

My LX was just delivered to the dealership about two hours ago and will be sitting under the portico at 8:30 in the morning.
Old 04-29-16 | 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll keep my fingers crossed this ones the same way!

I love the new LX. What color combo did you get? Take pics!

Quick Reply: Nightfall mica swirl marks