RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 09:49 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know if the fix is available in Canada? heard Canada Lexus use a different system or something that cannot get TSB from Lexus USA
its still pretty cold in Canada but last week there was 2 days that are 16C with sun so i tested the AC and it does make noise
Old 03-09-17, 03:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion
Anyone know if the fix is available in Canada? heard Canada Lexus use a different system or something that cannot get TSB from Lexus USA
its still pretty cold in Canada but last week there was 2 days that are 16C with sun so i tested the AC and it does make noise
I had my car in for service early February and they said it was not available yet. I would also be interested if it is released by Lexus Canada.
Old 03-13-17, 08:22 AM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes, Fix is Available in Canada

Originally Posted by Onion
Yes, the fix is available in Canada. My dealer in Edmonton called about it in January and had it in and completed within weeks. We are still in the dead of winter so can't say for certain it's completely fixed however; We have had a couple of nice days last month where typically there would have been a noise and it appeared to be gone. Fingers crossed!

My dealer was really good about it especially considering they had called me once a fix was found. Having said that, I had given them a pretty rough time about the problem over the summer so I'm sure they wanted me off their backs.
Old 03-21-17, 06:55 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the noise very loud? I have heard my AC operate but with music, I cannot hear anything. I was wondering if it is worth the trouble to do the TSB. My 2016 was built early within the MY.
Old 03-31-17, 01:36 PM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewyang
Hmmm..... my AC also makes a sound, but it is really different. If you have the fan on high, it sounds like drilling at a construction site from somewhere in the trunk area. Very annoying and high pitched, and it seems to be related to the set temperature. I think it must be a defect because mine doesn't make that gurgling sound.
I read this tread awhile back and was glad I didn't have this issue. However the other day I had this exact issue, what the other user mentioned I quoted. I thought something was wrong with my car so I turned off the radio as it was coming from the back and then it was really loud. It eventually stopped and has not happened since but it was very annoying and semi-scary trying to figure out what was going on as I forgot about this post.
Old 05-25-17, 10:01 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my 2016 RX 350 AWD 10K service performed a couple of weeks ago and asked them to fix the air conditioning gurgling sound. I've had this noise (it sounds like gentle falling water you might hear from a backyard fountain) since I bought the car new. The dealer applied the technical service bulletin, TSB L-SB-0101-16, which covers the repair for this issue. Well, the fix is somewhat better but definitely not eliminated. At times I can clearly hear it gurgling as before (it's an intermittent problem). I've really lost all confidence in Lexus engineering and will be replacing this car as soon as time allows.

As an aside, when I picked up my RX from the local dealer (who performed the 10K service) I noticed something protruding from the seam between the left fender and the engine hood. Opening the hood, it turned out to be a piece of the black plastic cowling which covers the general radiator area. This cowling snaps into place in several areas to secure it down. Well, the technician never secured it so when they closed the hood a section of this plastic was stuck and protruding above the seam. For me this is so sad how there's such a lack of attention to detail and careless workmanship.
Old 05-25-17, 07:46 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
I had my 2016 RX 350 AWD 10K service performed a couple of weeks ago and asked them to fix the air conditioning gurgling sound. I've had this noise (it sounds like gentle falling water you might hear from a backyard fountain) since I bought the car new. The dealer applied the technical service bulletin, TSB L-SB-0101-16, which covers the repair for this issue. Well, the fix is somewhat better but definitely not eliminated. At times I can clearly hear it gurgling as before (it's an intermittent problem). I've really lost all confidence in Lexus engineering and will be replacing this car as soon as time allows.

As an aside, when I picked up my RX from the local dealer (who performed the 10K service) I noticed something protruding from the seam between the left fender and the engine hood. Opening the hood, it turned out to be a piece of the black plastic cowling which covers the general radiator area. This cowling snaps into place in several areas to secure it down. Well, the technician never secured it so when they closed the hood a section of this plastic was stuck and protruding above the seam. For me this is so sad how there's such a lack of attention to detail and careless workmanship.
Welcome to the club of loyal lexus customers that are just waiting to bolt once their RX time is up. I havent even dealt with this TSB because Ive read that it's fairly invasive...which explains the sloppy workmanship you experienced. Never mind that the TSB doesnt seem to work either, just like the hesitation TSB
Old 05-26-17, 08:45 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

I had mine done and works! No more gurgling sound.
The sloppy job depends on the dealer and the mechanic working on it. Make sure to chose a good dealership for service. It is a big job with lots of new parts that need to be installed /replace plus more refrigerant.
Old 05-27-17, 05:24 AM
Anipilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 2017 RX450h and I have been hearing this sound as well. As if water is bubbling or gurgling through some plumbing. It isnt so loud but with the summer heat in southern US, I am hoping the issue does not become a bothersome noise. I will definately bring it up with the dealer on its first 5k service
Old 08-24-17, 01:37 PM
el1668
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RX 350 AC Gurgling Noise

Hello, I have a new 2017 RX 350 with 2,000 miles and I'm having this issue in the Seattle area. I took it into the dealership but they couldn't replicate it. Any advice?
Old 08-25-17, 05:53 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Welcome to the new Lexus service model. Can't replicate it, it isn't broken. Might have to bring it in again, ask that the TSB be applied. Or you can check to see if your car (by vin number) is part of the TSB. They should have checked this at the dealer, but probably didn't.
Old 08-25-17, 11:43 AM
gte124w
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el1668
Hello, I have a new 2017 RX 350 with 2,000 miles and I'm having this issue in the Seattle area. I took it into the dealership but they couldn't replicate it. Any advice?
They couldn't replicate mine either. I had to go in the service bay with the doofus tech and have him put his ear up to the vent and ask him if he could hear the squeaking. Then all of a sudden he could.
Old 08-26-17, 04:49 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by darkarmy
My 2016 IS is having the exact same issue, pretty loud. I can hear it with music on, when I called the dealership about it, they told me no one else complained about the problem with an IS so there is no TBA. total BS, $60k car and I have Ac gurling noises.

I think Lexus has serious quality issues. My new RX is a saga of creaks and rattles.
Old 08-26-17, 04:52 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gte124w
They couldn't replicate mine either. I had to go in the service bay with the doofus tech and have him put his ear up to the vent and ask him if he could hear the squeaking. Then all of a sudden he could.
Make a quick video and send it to them. I had creaks and rattles and I was told - We need to replicate the issue to fix it. Finally it got addressed. They changed the cooling gas/agent/freon of the AC system to fix the rattles. Lets see how many days it holds on. Oh, and the loaner car which had 1100 miles on it, rattled louder than my car.

Lexus needs to get serious of product quality else Germans are gonna eat their lunch

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x-350-a-4.html
Old 09-29-17, 11:52 AM
topdawgx99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to the dealership yesterday for this problem. The bad thing is, the noise in intermittent. It was loud on the way there, but the noise died down as I got there. When the mechanic went to the car with me to test for the sound, fortunately he could hear it, albeit a bit on the quiet side. I gave him the TSB, and said he will check it out. When the service guy heard I said it was the whirring gurgle noise, he immediately related to it, affirming they've had this case before. I got a loaner car, and they are working on the fix! I hope it goes away for good. BTW, the loaner rx350 they gave me as the AC noise too haha.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)