RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Radar Cruise issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16 | 11:14 AM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Default Radar Cruise issue

I m gonna ask the same question that I asked in GS forum, since both GS and RX has the same system I m sure I can get some insight in to this,

In 16 GS 350 Radar cruise sometimes disengages in stop and go traffic with a beep warning and displaying cruise is not available No proceeding vehicle (even though there's a vehicle in front of me). Then I cant switch on cruise for several minutes and goes back to normal again. Just want to know do any of you guys also have the same issue
Old 04-29-16 | 01:55 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Haven't had this problem. Guessing this sounds like a trip to dealer. Not seeing a car when there is one may mean something has or is failing.
Old 04-30-16 | 05:37 AM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Haven't had this problem. Guessing this sounds like a trip to dealer. Not seeing a car when there is one may mean something has or is failing.
Looks like that way but its intermittent and replicating it at the dealer would be difficult
Old 05-01-16 | 12:30 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Like David I have not experienced this. I can't readily find where all the sensors are for these functions but I assume you don't have something obscuring the dark area at top center on the windshield or the radar unit on the grill? I think those are the only 2 places involved.
Old 05-01-16 | 12:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Like David I have not experienced this. I can't readily find where all the sensors are for these functions but I assume you don't have something obscuring the dark area at top center on the windshield or the radar unit on the grill? I think those are the only 2 places involved.
BSM Sensor usualy is on the corners of rear bumper

Radar Cruise sensor is on Lexus front Grill Badge (the clear glossy protects the unit)

The two other sensing unis on top center.

The Radar unit and windshield unit combined will supply data for the DRCC. If thats loose, dirty or damaged you will get a loss of detection.

Also, if you have time I`d review the huge list of situations in the manual in which DRCC will no longer function. If any of those situations are the ones you have then yea I`d say system is fine. If not, they document via video, take the SA with you on the exact drive and showcase the issue.
Old 05-01-16 | 04:28 PM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
No actually dont have anything obstructing the sensor or the camera module. EZ pass (Toll reader) is attached quite close to it. I m going to see how this is going to progress and then take it to a dealer.
Old 05-01-16 | 04:30 PM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
BSM Sensor usualy is on the corners of rear bumper

Radar Cruise sensor is on Lexus front Grill Badge (the clear glossy protects the unit)

The two other sensing unis on top center.

The Radar unit and windshield unit combined will supply data for the DRCC. If thats loose, dirty or damaged you will get a loss of detection.

Also, if you have time I`d review the huge list of situations in the manual in which DRCC will no longer function. If any of those situations are the ones you have then yea I`d say system is fine. If not, they document via video, take the SA with you on the exact drive and showcase the issue.
Thanks for your suggestion. Its time to get my self a go pro camera and document this. By the way another question is do you think in stop and go traffic distance that we stop to the car in front of us is little too far even with the lowest distance setting?
Old 05-01-16 | 05:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kchemist
No actually dont have anything obstructing the sensor or the camera module. EZ pass (Toll reader) is attached quite close to it. I m going to see how this is going to progress and then take it to a dealer.
See if you can remove the EZ pass toll reader and mount it on top of the dash instead of the windshield. Not 100% sure it will be a problem, but giving it a try by yourself might solve the issue and save you the possible reason a SA might say is the false cause.
Old 05-05-16 | 06:36 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Default same issue

kchemist

My new RX-350 has the same issue. Only a week old but it has cut out several times and sounds like the exact same thing.

Please let me know if there is a fix

thanks
Old 05-07-16 | 05:54 PM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kiboater
kchemist

My new RX-350 has the same issue. Only a week old but it has cut out several times and sounds like the exact same thing.

Please let me know if there is a fix

thanks
Good to know I m not alone. Lets keep me updated, I thought of going to the dealership for my first 5000 mile maintenance which is approaching faster than I expected. But now I got this small issue of speaker rattle from rear driver side (ML system) so I might go there earlier than expected. I will keep you posted