RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tow Wiring? Non Tow Package Model

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 08:52 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
The wiring actually seems in place, and i checked the fuse box and the tow fuse is also in place. I havent checked for power or if the converter is there though.
I just spoke to a service advisor about the bike rack-- didn't think that there would be any problem. Also, on my 2013 I had wiring for lights with the tow hitch ( used primarily for bike rack) in case I needed to rent a light weight trailer to haul an oversized item. I would never use it to tow larger trailers ( I have had several). Of course Lexus will stipulate that this is not to be done -- can't blame them, that provides an out under the warranty if something happens to the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Jlmemt (05-01-24)
Old 05-10-16, 01:10 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring actually seems in place, and i checked the fuse box and the tow fuse is also in place. I havent checked for power or if the converter is there though.
I want to thank you for this information. I just checked under my car and found that the wiring is in place. Also, there is a 30 amp. fuse ( green) in the fuse box marked "towing". Really appreciate the information that you provided.
Jlmemt (05-01-24)
Old 05-10-16, 02:34 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
I want to thank you for this information. I just checked under my car and found that the wiring is in place. Also, there is a 30 amp. fuse ( green) in the fuse box marked "towing". Really appreciate the information that you provided.
Just FYI another user mentioned that there may be a converter missing, I havent taken apart the trunk trim to look for it nor have I plugged in any lights to test if the wire is hot. Let me know if you do, I put the etrailer hitch on it and got the wiring already, just havent tried it out.
Old 06-16-16, 10:16 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just FYI another user mentioned that there may be a converter missing, I havent taken apart the trunk trim to look for it nor have I plugged in any lights to test if the wire is hot. Let me know if you do, I put the etrailer hitch on it and got the wiring already, just havent tried it out.
Any updates here? Curious to see if the wiring works.

I have etrailer hitch already on. Would like to know if the trailer wiring kit from etrailer works?
Old 06-27-16, 05:27 PM
Ldogg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this daveylin? I am in the same position and would love some feedback? I dont want to go down the path of ordering the harness and having it not work!

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-27-16, 02:39 PM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer wiring help for non tow package

Hi all,

Im new to Lexus but so far we love the 2016 RX350. I installed a Curt tow hitch now I need to hook up the wiring. The car has the factory plug behind the rear bumper but its not powered up. There are 2 fuses in the hood that pertain to the towing and one was missing a fuse so I added a fuse and no luck. I called the dealer and they said I needed a converter but Lexus doesn't make one for the '16 model. They could make it or they might not. They made a converter for the previous generation so we'll see.

What is everyone else doing to be able to tow?

Also, I need to convert the 4 pin to a 5 pin and I cant find the correct wire for the reverse light. If anyone can help on this also that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-27-16, 04:44 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Ah damnit, I got the curt as well but havent tested the wiring... there was someone else on here suggesting a converter was needed... in mine though, the tow fuse is in place... (non-tow package). Not much help to you, but please let us know if you find something.
Old 07-27-16, 04:55 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

What are you folks towing considering the non-tow package RX has no tow rating from Lexus?
You guys are not worried about warranty issues?
Old 07-27-16, 07:13 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Its more for the rare tow a aluminum lake boat or if i need to move, tow a trailer.. i think max weight would be under 1000 lbs.

The manual says you cant even put a bike rack on a non tow model... i just dont see that breaking the car.

Last edited by daveylin; 07-27-16 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-16, 09:33 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

My understanding is that it can tow 2000lbs without tow package and 3500lbs with.
Old 07-28-16, 10:34 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Susoa
My understanding is that it can tow 2000lbs without tow package and 3500lbs with.
That was the previous gen, or at least listed in the manual. The 4th gen manual says dont put anything without tow package, not even a bike (bicycle, not motorcycle).
Old 07-28-16, 10:45 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I just checked the OM and it says towing isn't recommended and u can't put a hitch or carrier on the car. This blows.
Surprising how the tow package can carry 3500 lbs but without its 0.

The tow package, includes a bigger radiator and transmission cooler. Primarily to help the car keep cool. I could see if it was drive train, motor, shocks, or brake enhancements. I'm pulling about 200 yards away so if it cant handle this I would be shocked.

I think it's Lexus legal/costs mitigation at work.

Either way, I still need to connect the hitch power.
Old 07-28-16, 03:24 PM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

I've been doing some more research from the OM. It looks like the '16 RX350 has a GCWR (Gross combined Weight Rating) of 9360 lbs for the 4 wheel non tow package version.

The '15 RX350 has a 7650 lb GCWR without towing pack. and 9150 lb GCWR with.

Seems a little fishy that would recommend 0 trailer towing weigh for the '16.
Old 07-29-16, 12:08 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Maybe too late for some of you, but the tow package is only $265. I never expect to tow anything but a few hundred is great for upgraded components and just in case...
Jlmemt (05-01-24)
Old 07-29-16, 01:40 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Maybe too late for some of you, but the tow package is only $265. I never expect to tow anything but a few hundred is great for upgraded components and just in case...
Yup, that was my struggle, its only $265 but for some reason in northern california none of the fully loaded non hybrid f-sports had it. So my options were to take one off the lot for a pretty good discount, or order one for much less of a discount...

The $265 on paper was at least an extra grand in reality.... I tried the special order route and didnt get far, then my daughter was getting close to being born so i just bit the bullet so to speak and got one off the lot.
Jlmemt (05-01-24)

Quick Reply: Tow Wiring? Non Tow Package Model