RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tow Wiring? Non Tow Package Model

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 10:39 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
Yup, that was my struggle, its only $265 but for some reason in northern california none of the fully loaded non hybrid f-sports had it. So my options were to take one off the lot for a pretty good discount, or order one for much less of a discount...

The $265 on paper was at least an extra grand in reality.... I tried the special order route and didnt get far, then my daughter was getting close to being born so i just bit the bullet so to speak and got one off the lot.
Same thing here. We wanted to get it but they didn't have it available. We could have ordered one, and lost out on the reduced price for one on the lot, or pay $3-4K for one that happen to have it with a lot more options on it that my wife didn't need or want.
Old 07-30-16, 12:06 PM
gostephens
Driver School Candidate

Default Towing Package

We just purchased our 2016 RX350 and I wanted the ability to have a hitch "just in case" I wanted to tow something in the future. Mainly I want to carry my bicycles on a hitch mounted rack but I also wanted the ability to tow anything else in the future. The salesman told me that the "towing package" was only available on the AWD models so I paid the extra expense for the AWD and the dealer installed OEM Lexus hitch. Ended up costing thousands more to carry my bicycles. I found it unusual that only the AWD vehicle came with the towing package.
Old 08-02-16, 02:51 PM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried the 2015 converter that's available for the RX? I bet that would work.
Old 01-08-17, 12:51 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone able to post a response here?
Old 01-08-17, 08:55 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PLamarine
Anyone able to post a response here?
Sorry, Ive been off and on this forum, in the other thread I read that there is a converter missing, you buy the converter and plug it in, its in the trunk under some of the trim... I havent purchased yet but it seems other members have.
Old 01-09-17, 02:58 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Sorry, Ive been off and on this forum, in the other thread I read that there is a converter missing, you buy the converter and plug it in, its in the trunk under some of the trim... I havent purchased yet but it seems other members have.
So you have not tried it yourself?

I guess I will buy the Curt harness and give it a shot. Will post back results.
Old 02-06-17, 01:42 PM
breeznn
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer Wiring Converter Box

I have a 2016 RX350 that did not come with the Lexus Tow Package. Last summer I bought the hitch from eTrailer and installed it in about an hour. At the time, I could not find the trailer wiring converter box part number to make the trailer lights function and my dealer had no clue about what was required to make the trailer lights function.

Some time in late fall someone on this forum came up with the Toyota part number (PT-725-48160) for the converter box and fuse. It was a bit pricey.

Last week I checked eTrailer again and they had the converter box for less than $40! I ordered it and used the Lexus instructions I found on line about how to install the Converter. It took about an hour to pull out and reinstall all of the the interior panels in the right rear cargo compartment area for access to plug in the module. The Lexus installation instructions were excellent.

Note: the Lexus instructions indicated that a 30 amp fuse needed to be installed in the fuse box under the hood; but my car already had the fuse in place.

So basically you can get the hitch and converter for about a tenth of the Lexus Dealer price and install both in about two hours or less.

Many thanks to others on this forum for blazing the trail in locating the parts and directions.
Old 02-08-17, 11:26 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by breeznn
I have a 2016 RX350 that did not come with the Lexus Tow Package. Last summer I bought the hitch from eTrailer and installed it in about an hour. At the time, I could not find the trailer wiring converter box part number to make the trailer lights function and my dealer had no clue about what was required to make the trailer lights function.

Some time in late fall someone on this forum came up with the Toyota part number (PT-725-48160) for the converter box and fuse. It was a bit pricey.

Last week I checked eTrailer again and they had the converter box for less than $40! I ordered it and used the Lexus instructions I found on line about how to install the Converter. It took about an hour to pull out and reinstall all of the the interior panels in the right rear cargo compartment area for access to plug in the module. The Lexus installation instructions were excellent.

Note: the Lexus instructions indicated that a 30 amp fuse needed to be installed in the fuse box under the hood; but my car already had the fuse in place.

So basically you can get the hitch and converter for about a tenth of the Lexus Dealer price and install both in about two hours or less.

Many thanks to others on this forum for blazing the trail in locating the parts and directions.
Someone else will ask, so I might as well. A write up with detailed directions would be appreciated. Please?
Old 01-16-18, 02:35 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Update on a pretty much dead thread.... I finally stopped being lazy and installed a relay i ordered (its been so long I dont remember where I ordered from).. part number 81985-YY020. It was listed for the previous gen but from comparing pictures it looks like it would work, and I just installed and tested and it does! I tested using a multimeter and it reads 13v on the tail lights and flashes on the turn lights.

So for a non tow car, you need the curt tow hitch and a relay. From other threads there is a possibility you need a fuse too, but mine had it already.
Old 01-16-18, 02:41 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Update on a pretty much dead thread.... I finally stopped being lazy and installed a relay i ordered (its been so long I dont remember where I ordered from).. part number 81985-YY020. It was listed for the previous gen but from comparing pictures it looks like it would work, and I just installed and tested and it does! I tested using a multimeter and it reads 13v on the tail lights and flashes on the turn lights.

So for a non tow car, you need the curt tow hitch and a relay. From other threads there is a possibility you need a fuse too, but mine had it already.
And I lied, I finally found it, I actually ordered PT219-48101-TC which for some reason is a lot cheaper... i dont know the difference... but i ordered from lexus parts now for 65 plus tax and shipping. What comes is a the part above... 81985-YY020.
Old 05-16-18, 09:30 PM
JohnCChan
Driver School Candidate

You mentioned "I have a fuse in mine".
Can you tell me the name and the location of the fuse?
I hooked up my trailer to my Lexus RX450h and none of the trailer lights work.
I suspect I am missing a fuse to limit the current drawn by the trailer
Old 05-23-18, 01:30 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnCChan
You mentioned "I have a fuse in mine".
Can you tell me the name and the location of the fuse?
I hooked up my trailer to my Lexus RX450h and none of the trailer lights work.
I suspect I am missing a fuse to limit the current drawn by the trailer
In the fuse box in the engine bay, there is a slot for "tow" iirc. Do you have the tow package? If you dont you also need a relay that goes behind the lining of the trunk.
Old 09-10-20, 07:33 PM
fel0ncod3
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020 RX350 Tow Hitch / Harness

So, we recently bought a 2020 RX350 withOUT the towing package. I bought the curt trailer hitch and installed it in ~30 minutes. It looks really nice. I also got the towing harness and am aware that there is a relay somewhere that needs to be plugged in for 2019 models and earlier: See the video below at minute 2:20 to see exactly what I'm referring to.

Problem is: I can't find this relay connection in the 2020 model year. Does anyone know if it was deleted or moved?

I called the dealer and they said they don't support it if it didn't come with a tow package, but not sure I buy that story.

Short of splicing into the rear tail lights, has anyone successfully added the towing relay for those models that don't come with the tow package?

Video::
Old 09-10-20, 09:21 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I bought my 2020 Lexus Rx 350 with the towing prep package and had my dealer install a hitch and the wiring harness. When I remove that panel in the video, I can see that the harness is clipped into that exact white electrical connection on my car. They must not install that white connector if you don't order the towing package.
Old 09-10-20, 10:20 PM
fel0ncod3
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobe
I bought my 2020 Lexus Rx 350 with the towing prep package and had my dealer install a hitch and the wiring harness. When I remove that panel in the video, I can see that the harness is clipped into that exact white electrical connection on my car. They must not install that white connector if you don't order the towing package.
That's interesting, thanks for your reply / checking. Was it easily viewable? I'm thinking it's tucked away somewhere and I keep repeatedly missing it :P

Quick Reply: Tow Wiring? Non Tow Package Model