RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tow Wiring? Non Tow Package Model

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 07:36 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fel0ncod3
That's interesting, thanks for your reply / checking. Was it easily viewable? I'm thinking it's tucked away somewhere and I keep repeatedly missing it :P
The white connector is easily visible in that compartment on my car. In fact it is clipped to the metal frame in the compartment. When I follow the wire with my hand, it goes up and forward (not towards the right rear light assembly). It looks just like this picture in this post (2nd picture down).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...019-rx350.html
Old 09-11-20, 07:43 AM
fel0ncod3
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobe
The white connector is easily visible in that compartment on my car. In fact it is clipped to the metal frame in the compartment. When I follow the wire with my hand, it goes up and forward (not towards the right rear light assembly). It looks just like this picture in this post (2nd picture down).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...019-rx350.html
super interesting. Perhaps they moved it as opposed to deleting it. I found this plug yesterday on the left side of the car. Close to the left tail light about 5 inches in. It looks very similar to the image in the other thread. I traced it and it’s part of the same harness.

I guess I should do this by trial and error and see if it works.

Old 04-11-22, 03:48 PM
WisconsinB
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picking up a 2022 RX350 no towing package in a couple of weeks. I have looked through the trailer hitch thread and this is what I think should work for my non trailer package 2022 RX from Etrailer. Trailer Hitch Draw Tite 75540 Wiring harness 118255. Not concerned about the trailer hitch just looking for any opinions on the wiring harness for the vehicle. I installed a Toyota factory hitch and wiring harness on a 2018 Highlander with no issues and this wiring harness looks similar to that. Thanks

Old 04-11-22, 03:58 PM
kvozel
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WisconsinB
Picking up a 2022 RX350 no towing package in a couple of weeks. I have looked through the trailer hitch thread and this is what I think should work for my non trailer package 2022 RX from Etrailer. Trailer Hitch Draw Tite 75540 Wiring harness 118255. Not concerned about the trailer hitch just looking for any opinions on the wiring harness for the vehicle. I installed a Toyota factory hitch and wiring harness on a 2018 Highlander with no issues and this wiring harness looks similar to that. Thanks
I just took delivery on the same RX and emailed with eTrailer and they recommended the same Draw-Tite. I’m a little concerned though because Draw-Tite does say you need to “Trim lower fascia (for model year after 2021) ”, but eTrailer said “Draw-Tite receiver may push up slightly on the rear fascia”. Does anyone know for sure?

i am interested in what you find out for the wiring harness as well.
Old 04-11-22, 05:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

What are you planning to tow with this? I wouldn’t tow anything without the tow package which includes a heavier cooling system. If you do choose to tow & have transmission or cooling issues, a jerk dealer could try to deny your warranty.
Old 04-11-22, 05:36 PM
kvozel
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m just doing a bike rack.
Old 04-11-22, 06:13 PM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kvozel
I just took delivery on the same RX and emailed with eTrailer and they recommended the same Draw-Tite. I’m a little concerned though because Draw-Tite does say you need to “Trim lower fascia (for model year after 2021) ”, but eTrailer said “Draw-Tite receiver may push up slightly on the rear fascia”. Does anyone know for sure?

i am interested in what you find out for the wiring harness as well.
I installed the 75540 on my 2021 without trimming the rear fascia. It does indeed push slightly up on it, but it’s not noticeable from behind the vehicle. I installed the Curt 56083 wiring harness. My car has the factory towing package so I just plugged in the wiring harness and I was ready to rock. I got both the receiver and wiring harness from Amazon along with a little rubber square plug with Lexus on it…vanity lol.
Old 04-12-22, 02:51 AM
WisconsinB
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing over 1K pounds, my Highlander will be the main vehicle for towing my aluminum 4x8 trailer that weighs about 300LB unloaded and just hauling brush and leaves
Old 04-12-22, 06:42 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Nothing over 1K pounds, my Highlander will be the main vehicle for towing my aluminum 4x8 trailer that weighs about 300LB unloaded and just hauling brush and leaves
That sounds good - you should be just fine with that light load.
Old 03-23-23, 07:53 AM
happyandy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2019 Lexus RX350 without Tow Package. I installed a hitch with no problems. Now I need to have wiring harness installed. I believe I need this Tekonsha 118255 with Circuit Protected Modulite, as it was illustrated in a video on YouTube from Uhaul.
However, I can't find the white connector as illustrated in the video, which I circled in the picture below. It seems my SUV had this run up near the tail light, and had it clamped somehow. It's not visible to me, and I can touch and feel, but I can't take it apart.
I did lots of googling, but I can't find how this problem being addressed by others.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-23, 02:26 PM
eManDizzy
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The key to installing the hitch when your car is not oem equipped is installing the circuit protection module, just watch the uhaul install video.

What I recommend:
1. Tekonsha 118255 4-Flat Tow Harness Wiring Package with Circuit Protected ModuLite Module // this has the wiring harness for connecting the actual trailer wiring to your vehicle and the mentioned circuit protection module (without this, trailer lighting will not work properly)
2. CURT 13143 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver // Installs flush for an OEM look. I installed this myself with proper hand tools then went to a tire shop and had them torque it properly for $20 big ones.
3. Lexus Plug hitch plug/cap if you're fancy

I've pulled many 6' x 8' uhaul trailers with full loads no problem but when I rented a 22' rv to go up to big bear a couple summers ago, I was pushing it. When i tried hauling the trailer during the day at 110 degrees, engine temp shot right up, so I delayed the trip for next day early morning and made it at a snails pace up the mountain. (I know it sounds irresponsible and stupid as I write this but hey, it's my car and I made it.)

The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (04-04-23)
Old 04-10-23, 08:10 AM
fel0ncod3
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eManDizzy
The key to installing the hitch when your car is not oem equipped is installing the circuit protection module, just watch the uhaul install video.

What I recommend:
1. Tekonsha 118255 4-Flat Tow Harness Wiring Package with Circuit Protected ModuLite Module // this has the wiring harness for connecting the actual trailer wiring to your vehicle and the mentioned circuit protection module (without this, trailer lighting will not work properly)
2. CURT 13143 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver // Installs flush for an OEM look. I installed this myself with proper hand tools then went to a tire shop and had them torque it properly for $20 big ones.

I've pulled many 6' x 8' uhaul trailers with full loads no problem but when I rented a 22' rv to go up to big bear a couple summers ago, I was pushing it. When i tried hauling the trailer during the day at 110 degrees, engine temp shot right up, so I delayed the trip for next day early morning and made it at a snails pace up the mountain. (I know it sounds irresponsible and stupid as I write this but hey, it's my car and I made it.)

Not knocking your towing but rather saying - good going man! Glad you're safe. Slow and steady.

Before we bought this car, I was researching what others have towed with it, and I came across this video - figured I would share.

This is a 2010 RX:

Question: how much does that RV weigh empty? Did you have a fully packed car as well? I'll admit, I was fearful when we towed the 5'x8' uhaul trailer for the first time (loaded w/ family in the car) but after we got going, it felt fine. Temps didn't shoot up or anything and car was fine.
Old 07-15-23, 07:48 PM
toddcarson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modulite Module for 2022 RX450

I am guessing that the Module with part 118255 will work in my 2022 450 as well (not tow pckg)? Ready to order it today- has anyone already tried?

[QUOTE=eManDizzy;11480441]The key to installing the hitch when your car is not oem equipped is installing the circuit protection module, just watch the uhaul install video.

What I recommend:

I've pulled many 6' x 8' uhaul trailers with full loads no problem but when I rented a 22' rv to go up to big bear a couple summers ago, I was pushing it. When i tried hauling the trailer during the day at 110 degrees, engine temp shot right up, so I delayed the trip for next day early morning and made it at a snails pace up the mountain. (I know it sounds irresponsible and stupid as I write this but hey, it's my car and I made it.)]
Old 07-16-23, 09:38 AM
Brut4c
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed my Draw-Tite trailer hitch last weekend on my ‘22 rx350 f-sport. Hitch #75540 (amazon, $104 on sale
Amazon Amazon
, ). Only had to remove the “stabilizer” or whatever that thing is and the hitch bolts right in. No mods, cutting or trimming. Fits right up to the fascia with no trimming required. Haven’t looked at the tow wiring yet as for now the hitch is only there for a bike rack or cargo basket.

Last edited by Brut4c; 07-16-23 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-18-23, 10:19 AM
Brut4c
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just and update to the above. I ended up having the need to tow a small trailer so had to finally get a wiring harness. I went with the Tekonsha 118255 from amazon;
Amazon Amazon
. Very worth it. Total plug and play, ignore the amazon page saying "this does not fit". No ground screw to drill, no fuse to install. The 4flat harness is nicely finished off in wire loom and the plug has a built in weather proof cover. Well worth the extra $10 over the Curt.