RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

12.3 Inch Screen or 8 Inch Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 10:28 PM
Albizzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.3 Inch Screen or 8 Inch Screen

About to pull the trigger on the RX350 and stuck between two specs. The features are basically identical on both vehicles but one does not have the navigation so it has the 8 inch screen and one has the 12.3 inch navigation screen.

The place for the screen and the plastic housing seems like its just made for the 12.3 inch screen so it bothers me if I dont get the screen but I really dont know how often I will use the navigation (never had one in my cars) so thinking it might just be extra cash I spent for something I dont really use.

Anyone go through the same dilemma as me? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-09-16, 11:30 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Go with the 12.3". If you feel right now that you like it better than the 8", you may regret it later if you do go with the 8".
I, myself, don't use the navigation for the directions. I use it to see where the traffic is so I can get around it if it is really bad and how long it takes to get to my destination. On occasion, I will use it when I need to find a place that I've never been before.
So if you have never had a NAV in your previous cars, you may use it more than you think.
Can I ask you, are you also thinking between 18" or 20" tires?
Old 05-10-16, 06:37 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Besides hurting resale value not having NAV, I always use it to get an accurate ETA even when I know where I'm going.
Also knowing about a traffic jam on your route is convenient.
Old 05-10-16, 06:47 AM
Albizzle
Driver School Candidate

QUOTE=brxsilva;9479195]Go with the 12.3". If you feel right now that you like it better than the 8", you may regret it later if you do go with the 8".
I, myself, don't use the navigation for the directions. I use it to see where the traffic is so I can get around it if it is really bad and how long it takes to get to my destination. On occasion, I will use it when I need to find a place that I've never been before.
So if you have never had a NAV in your previous cars, you may use it more than you think.
Can I ask you, are you also thinking between 18" or 20" tires?[/QUOTE]

20" tires. It was a small price difference but added so much in appeal for me.
Old 05-10-16, 07:47 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 12" screen because i wanted other options (ML) and the larger screen is packaged with those options.....It does have a certain wow factor, but I think i am over it after three months of ownership.
Old 05-10-16, 11:52 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Definitely go with the 12.3" screen...you won't regret it.
Old 05-10-16, 12:34 PM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the 12.3 screen here!
Old 05-10-16, 12:35 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

12.3" all the way the 8" looks ridiculous!
Old 05-10-16, 01:37 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

12.3", period
Old 05-10-16, 01:49 PM
tc1728
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with what you can afford, if you can afford both, go for the better option.
Old 05-10-16, 02:54 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The 12 inch screen real estate is not just solely for Navigation but can be used to display Audio screens and climate control screens. Text are easier to see and read on a bigger screen. You can set the screen to stay on screen you choose so in theory you dont have to ever see the Nav screen. Just set main screen to Media Audio/Apps and the smaller screen on the right to display Climate/Vehicle info and set the display to never Auto return to Nav screen. When the times come to sell the car it will be esier to find a buyer because you opted for the 12in screen.
Old 05-10-16, 04:35 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I will write the dissenting opinion here. The 8 incher is fine. The Lexus nav, like all car navs, is light years behind the free 'n easy GOOGLE MAPS. Used luxury vehicles with NAV no longer command much more, if anything, at resale time because people savvy to use NAV use GOOGLE MAPS or WAZE on their phones. The 8 incher is just fine for anything else the car needs to do on it. Most of the vehicles here with NAV were about $3000 more due to the way they were ordered. Not worth it. Resale on that 3 grand will be close to zero. Unless you have money to burn, be a value player and skip the obsolete in dash nav.
Old 05-10-16, 10:20 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I will write the dissenting opinion here. The 8 incher is fine. The Lexus nav, like all car navs, is light years behind the free 'n easy GOOGLE MAPS. Used luxury vehicles with NAV no longer command much more, if anything, at resale time because people savvy to use NAV use GOOGLE MAPS or WAZE on their phones. The 8 incher is just fine for anything else the car needs to do on it. Most of the vehicles here with NAV were about $3000 more due to the way they were ordered. Not worth it. Resale on that 3 grand will be close to zero. Unless you have money to burn, be a value player and skip the obsolete in dash nav.
Alrhough I agree with you that nav in cars are very outdated. I still think it is much nicer to have a 12in than a 8 because of the ugly bezels that come with the 8inch. Actually i never saw a RX equiped with the 8 inch but if the current generetion 4GS is of any indication the bezels really cheapen the interior. I test drove a 2014 GS350 with the 8 inch and the first thing my passenger said to me was "why is there so much empty plastic between the display screen?" As if the screen was installed from aftermarket audio equiptment like a pioneer head unit. We both agreed the 12 inch on the GS looks way better.
Old 05-11-16, 07:14 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Alrhough I agree with you that nav in cars are very outdated. I still think it is much nicer to have a 12in than a 8 because of the ugly bezels that come with the 8inch. Actually i never saw a RX equiped with the 8 inch but if the current generetion 4GS is of any indication the bezels really cheapen the interior. I test drove a 2014 GS350 with the 8 inch and the first thing my passenger said to me was "why is there so much empty plastic between the display screen?" As if the screen was installed from aftermarket audio equiptment like a pioneer head unit. We both agreed the 12 inch on the GS looks way better.
Agreed. The 8" looks like something you see in a cheap Hyundai.
Old 05-11-16, 07:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Albizzle
About to pull the trigger on the RX350 and stuck between two specs. The features are basically identical on both vehicles but one does not have the navigation so it has the 8 inch screen and one has the 12.3 inch navigation screen.

The place for the screen and the plastic housing seems like its just made for the 12.3 inch screen so it bothers me if I dont get the screen but I really dont know how often I will use the navigation (never had one in my cars) so thinking it might just be extra cash I spent for something I dont really use.

Anyone go through the same dilemma as me? Any advice is appreciated.
U answered your own question. The 12.3 isnt going to add any value, might actually be more annoying to keep up in the longterm (reliability of a huge screen, fingerprints, does not add HD maps or anything etc), but if its already bothering you, go with the 12.3 and enjoy

Quick Reply: 12.3 Inch Screen or 8 Inch Screen