RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

"S" Gear Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 05:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
So, I got even more curious and looked at some pictures on Cars.com. Looked at some 350, 350 F SPORT, 450h, and 450h F SPORT models.

What I noticed is as follows:

RX 350: "S" mode
RX 350 F SPORT: "M" mode
RX 450h : "S" mode
RX 450h FSPORT: "S" mode

As it turns out, only the 350 F SPORT has an "M" mode. I'm still not sure if it works the same as "S" mode. From what Macs4RX is saying, the RX 350 works like what I stated in "S" mode. Anyone with a RX 350 F SPORT care to chime in on their experience?
That's super interesting. I did not know this and haven't seen Lexus do this before with F Sport versus non F Sport models. Thanks so much for this information.

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
On my RX 350 the shift position is labeled "S". There's no reference to "M" as far as I've discovered.
I was under the (false) impression that all 450h models of the 4RX had S Mode while all 350 models had M Mode. With the information above, now I see that is not the case. This also makes more sense as to why yours operates the way that it does. I LOVE when I learn something new on CL!

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Ranges? I thought the # next to the S indicates an actual gear selection?
In "S Mode", as on previous Lexus models, it sets a limit, not an actual gear selection. So if you go to 4, it means it can select any hear from 1 to 4. If you select 3, it can go from 1 to 3, and so on. So if you're in 4th you can kick it down to 3rd by going to 3, but if you're in 4th gear and move up to 6, it will still be at the discretion of the transmission programming, as you're telling it that anywhere from 1-6 is okay. M Mode lets you select a particular gear, but as shown above, for the 4RX, that's only on the 350 F Sport. This, by the way, is what my 3IS had and 4GS has. My 3RX has S Mode. I don't bother...
Old 05-11-16, 06:08 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ranges? I thought the # next to the S indicates an actual gear selection?
That's what's confusing. But in the owners manual, Lexus refers to the "S" mode ranges several times. I finally figured out it means a range of gears.

So, say if I resume my driving from a stopped condition at an intersection and according to the MID and HUD I am in S3 mode, the RX will start out in 1st gear and upshift very quickly generally to 2nd gear and then finally to 3rd gear. From there it will not upshift any more and the tachometer rpm will continue to climb very high if one continues to accelerate. An automatic override will upshift the engine eventually to protect itself from over-revving. That's my understanding and experience with using it.
Old 05-11-16, 06:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
That's what's confusing. But in the owners manual, Lexus refers to the "S" mode ranges several times. I finally figured out it means a range of gears.

So, say if I resume my driving from a stopped condition at an intersection and according to the MID and HUD I am in S3 mode, the RX will start out in 1st gear and upshift very quickly generally to 2nd gear and then finally to 3rd gear. From there it will not upshift any more and the tachometer rpm will continue to climb very high if one continues to accelerate. An automatic override will upshift the engine eventually to protect itself from over-revving. That's my understanding and experience with using it.
I get the difference now after reading the manual carefully. F sports are different with an M mode vs S mode in a non f sport

F sport M selector is
regular S mode
+
M full manual control mode where you CAN select gears

vs a non F sport

S mode only which is just shift ranges.

Cant believe the bean counters missed putting their nose in this one and just allowed M mode for all just like any other mfg
Old 05-13-16, 01:54 AM
Sox575
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm learning more and more. Thanks for the input everyone

So far I haven't tried the "S" gear yet, but since we have so much traffic here in Los Angeles I'm actually making great use of the ECO Mode.
Old 05-13-16, 01:57 AM
Sox575
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding onto Crolla,

Use that mode when you want to be a bit more of a responsive drive. When you first slot it into S, it will just hold gears longers aka you`ll be stuck in the lower gears, longer RPM holding (so the engine will sound louder as its working alot harder), and the engine will respond much faster. When you start pulling or pushing the gear lever thats when you full control of the gear selected. So if you like shifting through each gear then do that.

Just a Headsup, if you recently purchased the car, I would avoid using S mode until you have passed the breakin period, as that mode adds undue stress to a new engine
That's good to know! Thanks coolsaber.