RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Odometer plastic scratched when I bought it

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16 | 02:01 PM
tinachai
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 RX 350 Odometer plastic scratched when I bought it

Hi everyone, I'm pretty particular about my car, especially being that I paid almost 60k for a fully loaded 2016 rx350. Anyway, this is my first Lexus and a huge step up from my stick shift Honda Accord so when I noticed a one-inch long scratch on the odometer plastic I kind of freaked and have been obsessing about it ever since.

I tried to wipe it with a micro-fiber cloth but it didn't help I talked to the service dept who is willing to replace it under warranty but being a freak that I am, I'm worried that by them doing it, they'll scratch something else in the process and/or by breaking down the cluster to get to the odometer replacement, they'll create loose parts and then I'll have to deal with a rattling sound. My husband also thinks it's not a big deal and that the risk of them opening the brand new car up for a cosmetic issue isn't worth the chance of them screwing something else up or even adding dust in there.

I know I'm OCD but what would you do? Do you think maybe I should just ask them to give me the part and then later down the line, when I'm not obsessing over the newness and it gets scratched more, then I should replace it?

Here's a picture

[I]The scratch is parallel to the gauge hand and is to the right of the brake light. I know it's barely noticeable but in the light it's clear
Old 05-16-16 | 04:27 PM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tinachai
Hi everyone, I'm pretty particular about my car, especially being that I paid almost 60k for a fully loaded 2016 rx350. Anyway, this is my first Lexus and a huge step up from my stick shift Honda Accord so when I noticed a one-inch long scratch on the odometer plastic I kind of freaked and have been obsessing about it ever since.

I tried to wipe it with a micro-fiber cloth but it didn't help I talked to the service dept who is willing to replace it under warranty but being a freak that I am, I'm worried that by them doing it, they'll scratch something else in the process and/or by breaking down the cluster to get to the odometer replacement, they'll create loose parts and then I'll have to deal with a rattling sound. My husband also thinks it's not a big deal and that the risk of them opening the brand new car up for a cosmetic issue isn't worth the chance of them screwing something else up or even adding dust in there.

I know I'm OCD but what would you do? Do you think maybe I should just ask them to give me the part and then later down the line, when I'm not obsessing over the newness and it gets scratched more, then I should replace it?

Here's a picture

[I]The scratch is parallel to the gauge hand and is to the right of the brake light. I know it's barely noticeable but in the light it's clear
If it's bothering u I would get it fixed. They will be careful with it because a job like that probably won't be subbed out. I had a scratch fixed and it actually went to a third party and I was very nervous about the condition coming back but it was all fine. Like you mentioned u paid 60k for a brand new car and you should be happy. Just inspect it very closely before you leave after its fixed.
Old 05-20-16 | 03:23 PM
roblim
Pole Position

I am in a similar situation. My dash came with some small scratches. Replacing it means dismantling a lot of the interior. I decided that it isn't worth it, so I am living with it.