RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 04:11 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had Timing Cover and water pump leaks fixed on 16 RX350 FSport around 49000 miles under warranty.
Old 03-07-21, 11:38 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemons
I just had Timing Cover and water pump leaks fixed on 16 RX350 FSport around 49000 miles under warranty.

Can one check for these leaks looking top-down at the engine bay?
Not sure that I trust my dealer enough to be reassured that they would look for these things.
Old 04-05-21, 09:20 AM
freudie1
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Can one check for these leaks looking top-down at the engine bay?
Not sure that I trust my dealer enough to be reassured that they would look for these things.
Simple: Turn your wheel to the side and look through the passenger wheel well at the engine. You'll see a mess of oil/grime if it's leaking.
Old 04-05-21, 09:38 AM
freudie1
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

2016 RX350 with 81000 miles. Took the car in for a recall (door handles, hilarious) and they marked "Moderate oil leak from timing chain cover". The service tech was so nice to my wife when he loudly stated across the shop "Hey she is declining service because her HUSBAND WORKS ON HER CAR!". Yeah, bad move moron.

So of course she brings the car home (we have dealt with scandalous service departments at dealerships over the years, she knows the drill). I look at the inspection sheet:
  1. Tires worn on inside edges, needs an alignment<---NOPE. Took it to the local alignment shop, not only was the alignment "right in spec" per the mechanic, he wouldn't even charge me for the time on the rack. Also stated in his experience that's normal wear for AWD cars.......I replaced the tires already (thanks Tire Rack) as I was planning already. When I called the service advisor (more on that in a moment) and stated all this he goes, "Well sir, we don't have an alignment rack at the shop we were just stating that based on the wear of the tires". Then I stated, "Interesting, about that, the alignment shop says that wear is NOT indicative of an alignment being needed." Then he says, "Oh so did he even put it on a rack or did he just look at it like we did?". Um......."Yes he put it on the rack I watched him laughing in the shop". Service rep, SILENCE.
  2. Needs an air filter. That was a hard 2 minutes.
  3. Needs an oil change <---No it doesn't, I follow the reminder on the car and use Mobil 1 and filter every 10K. Never an issue.
  4. Brakes need changing (I forget their supposed mm measurements, but they stated fronts were worse than rear...which makes sense). Oh about those brakes....I just changed all 4 this weekend with the Centric/Akebono combo and lo and behold the rear's were worse (still meat left, no rotor destruction mind you but I always replace rotors while in there) than the front. HOW is that possible? Simple. We bought this car used at a Lexus dealer and they claimed to have replaced all 4 brakes before they sold it. Reality: I suspect they replaced the fronts only as it's virtually impossible to have the rear's wear faster than the front's. Physics and all.
  5. Timing chain cover leak verbiage. <--This is where it get's "good". I had no idea this was an issue with these cars (testament to how well it's been running, I have only had to change oil up to this point.). Reading the posts on this forum I noticed most stating it's essentially a cosmetic issue (and after looking at my engine while doing the brake job I would agree, it's very slight). HOWEVER........since the service advisor was so friendly and honest I didn't feel comfortable letting this stay as is. So what did I do? I gave him a "friendly" call.
Friendly call:

First I talked about the alignment fiasco (see details above). Clear BS and lack of knowledge exposed (possibly fraud).

Second, after that fun I talked about the timing chain cover and how I researched (thanks club lexus!) that this apparently is a historical issue with these engines (must be hard for Lexus to design or assemble a cover that actually seals or better yet actually fixes the issue and stops lying for 3 generations that it's "fixed"). I mentioned "I hear this is very involved job that requires the engine to be dropped to access that cover". He says, "Yes it is! Very expensive".

OK! So then I said, "So, do me a favor, look up the VIN for my car in your system and tell me what it says!". He goes, "Oh, ok, hang on". 5 minutes later service rep replies, "So when would you like to bring it in so we can repair that and schedule you a loaner?"<------The clown failed to lookup (or fail to mention to my wife which is more like the case) that I bought this car as a CPO car...full powertrain warranty in effect until next year. COMEDY.

So in a nutshell: Yes this issue still exists, no it's not a big deal (my opinion based on what I have observed), and if a service rep is rude to your wife and you have a CPO warranty, call them back up and have some revenge.

Did I mention the icing on the cake? I was about to change my oil in a few weeks, but when I asked if this required them to perform an oil change (it does, you lose a ton of oil when they perform this procedure) he said "Oh Lexus will pay for that during this".

Hehe.
The following 2 users liked this post by freudie1:
dibl (04-05-21), firehouseq (05-12-21)
Old 05-11-21, 02:10 PM
firehouseq
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 RX350-40K miles, OIL LEAK

Hi All,

My wife and I have a 2017 RX350, with just over 40K miles. About 3 months ago we noticed a small oil leak (drips in the garage). We first took it to our mechanic, then to Lexus and they could not determine where the leak was, and added a red dye to the oil, and said to drive it for a couple thousand miles, and bring it back.

This past weekend, we took it back to the dealer. They are saying the leak is coming from a bad head gasket. Our mechanic thought it was coming from a seal that was pressed into the back of the engine block.
We have very low miles on this car. Factory warranty has expired (due to 4 years), but they are covering the work under the 50K mile powertrain warranty.

I am just concerned with having a head gasket issue for so few miles.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Thanks!

Pete
Old 05-12-21, 05:41 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I had the leaks on my 2016 RX350. Both oil and water were leaking.

My repair was covered under the CPO warranty. And it would also have been covered under the Power train. Which is 72 months or 70K miles

https://www.lexus.com/warranty
The following users liked this post:
firehouseq (05-12-21)
Old 06-21-21, 10:47 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Default 2016 Lexus RX - Oil Leak? (Photos Inside)

I have a 2016 Lexus RX350 with 74000 km on it (located in Canada). I've had it for just over 5 years. In Canada, basic warranty is 4 years and powertrain warranty is 6 years. So I'm out of the basic warranty period, but still within the powertrain warranty.

I had my last oil change in April 2021 @ 72000 km. This was done at Toyota (not Lexus). At that time, the oil change tech (not a mechanic - as he only works in the oil change line and that's all he does) told me that my engine was "sweating" oil. He said it wasn't a big concern, but that I should get it checked out at Lexus anyway. He kept reassuring me, telling me that it's not a big deal at all (no rush to get Lexus to look at it). He didn't take photos, but did indicate "oil seeping" on the work order - but doesn't specify where it's seeping from.

The car is at 74000 km today (only driving 1000 km/month due to COVID). Oil dipstick shows that the oil level is right on the "full" mark. Never had any warning lights come on. Never seen oil droplets on my driveway. I'm not mechanically inclined, but got underneath the car today to take a few photos. I think I've identified the area that the oil change tech was referring to. Please see photos below.

Is this a concern...? Do the pictures show a leak? Would it be covered by Lexus powertrain warranty? I'm asking here because if it isn't covered, Lexus would charge me a hefty inspection fee just for taking a look at it, and I would be out $150 for nothing. I was reading a TSB from Toyota that indicates that "oil seeping" is not covered by warranty, but "oil leaks" are. (reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...71405-9999.pdf)

Any comments appreciated.

Last edited by arrowroot; 06-21-21 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 11:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I'm surprised you have an oil leak with only 74000 km. Any chance that is the result of a sloppy oil change?
Trena1908 (07-07-23)
Old 06-21-21, 11:31 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm surprised you have an oil leak with only 74000 km. Any chance that is the result of a sloppy oil change?
I have no idea, actually. I've always had my oil changes done at Toyota (every 16000 km or 1 year) and this was the first time that they had mentioned this issue.
Old 06-22-21, 07:27 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I have no idea, actually. I've always had my oil changes done at Toyota (every 16000 km or 1 year) and this was the first time that they had mentioned this issue.
Maybe you should try to tighten the oil pan bolts, to see if they are loose. Just go easy and snug them up.
rxtimes2 (06-23-21)
Old 06-22-21, 07:40 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I think you might want to get Lexus to check it. It would have been better if Lexus serviced it because they know these engines and the potential issues. I heard some 2016's have oil leak issues.
coolbrazz (06-22-21)
Old 06-22-21, 11:05 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I think you might want to get Lexus to check it. It would have been better if Lexus serviced it because they know these engines and the potential issues. I heard some 2016's have oil leak issues.
Thanks, I've heard the same.

That being said - do the pictures above look like a leak (which is covered by powertrain warranty), rather than a "seep" (which is not covered by warranty)? My first time looking under this car, so not really sure what it's "supposed" to look like.
Old 06-22-21, 11:39 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by autotech13
Maybe you should try to tighten the oil pan bolts, to see if they are loose. Just go easy and snug them up.
Could loose oil pan bolts cause the mess on the silver part above the black oil pan?

Or does the mess on the silver part suggest that the oil is coming from another part higher up in the engine bay?
Old 06-23-21, 01:24 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Reviewing the early posts in this thread, it looks like the timing chain cover and the water pump are the most common sources of oil leaks. Therefore, common sense would lead one to suspect those items first. (Oil seeping from a higher point and oozing down to the lower parts.)

On the pan bolts -- be very cautious about over-torquing them. You could end up buying a replacement pan if you distort the original gasket surface.
Old 06-23-21, 07:50 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Reviewing the early posts in this thread, it looks like the timing chain cover and the water pump are the most common sources of oil leaks. Therefore, common sense would lead one to suspect those items first. (Oil seeping from a higher point and oozing down to the lower parts.)

On the pan bolts -- be very cautious about over-torquing them. You could end up buying a replacement pan if you distort the original gasket surface.
Good advise!

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak