RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 08:30 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemons
Another update, two months after the Lexus dealer replaced valve cover gasket to fix the leak, I found two huge puddle of oil on my garage floor. I brought the car back, and got call this morning and was told it is the timing cover leak, which the same dealer claimed they fixed it on January 2021 (under warranty). After few back and forth, they agree to replace timing chain cover this time not just resealed it as Lexus told them to do last year. The moral of story, if your RX has timing chain cover leak, do not settle with resealing the cover, ask for replacement. It will leak again if the dealer just resealed it.
how many KM/miles travelled after you had the leak fixed in January 2021? I would imagine time and amount of usage (more usage of the engine = more pressure against the seals) are factors in a leak revealing itself.

I had my timing cover resealed just six months ago but have only travelled 1000 km since then. Dealer tells me that the powertrain warranty (including the warranty for this specific issue) still expires at the original 6-year mark, which is coming up soon.
Old 03-17-22, 08:46 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
how many KM/miles travelled after you had the leak fixed in January 2021? I would imagine time and amount of usage (more usage of the engine = more pressure against the seals) are factors in a leak revealing itself.

I had my timing cover resealed just six months ago but have only travelled 1000 km since then. Dealer tells me that the powertrain warranty (including the warranty for this specific issue) still expires at the original 6-year mark, which is coming up soon.
The Timing chain cover leak was found around 49000 miles in January 2021, then another leak was found and the valve gasket was replaced around 57000 miles under Lexus1 year part warranty in January 2022. This time, two puddles of oil was found on the ground around 58800 miles in March 2022. The car was purchased new in June 2016. So I still have three months left for 6years/70000 miles powertrain warranty. Now I just need to wait for the new timing chain cover arrived; It will take a week for the part arrives and two-three days for dealer to drop the engine and put the engine back again.

Last edited by mnemons; 03-17-22 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 12:19 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

That sucks. The 5th gen ES models (2007-2012) which have the same 3.5 V6, had the same timing cover leaking issue. I was hoping our 2018 RX had this problem licked. Ours just passed 40K and I will be checking the timing chain cover very carefully.
Old 05-13-22, 10:24 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Well, after the replacement of Timing chain cover in late March, the first few weeks of April, there was no leak on the floor. But then couple hundreds miles later, oil leak began again. I put a white paper underneath the passenger side of the car, I still see fresh oil drop on the paper every week. I wiped it off, and again a week later, another drop. Car is almost 60000 miles now, and one month before the expiration of powertrain warranty (6years/70000 miles). It has been 1 year and 3 months since the Tech discovered and fixed the leak three times, the problem still continues. (I will visit the dealer again next week.)

Last edited by mnemons; 05-13-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 11:43 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That is unfortunately. Sorry you are dealing with this. Knock on wood, my 2016 is at 116.5k miles and has been flawless. I have been the person doing all the maintenance it.
Old 06-14-22, 12:03 PM
mbuasan
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 16 RX Car oil leak

My 2016 lexus rx350 is leaking oil again. I had the timing chain cover seal leak fixed under warranty at about 60k miles but now noticed another oil leak at 85k miles. Is this the same issue or was this something else? Any thoughts on if Lexus would fix under goodwill as my CPO warranty just expired 6 months ago?

Old 06-14-22, 12:17 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Looks like it's probably the same issue. As to whether Lexus will cover it (or part of it), gotta ask them. I'd guess not.
Old 06-14-22, 02:10 PM
mnemons
Rookie

There is an old thread regrading Oil leak:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-oil-leak.html

I have the same problems and the dealer has repaired it four times. Per Lexus TSB, the suggested fix of timing chain cover leak is to reseal it (the color of new material of sealing is black). You can see the Black sealing from the passenger side of engine bay, if the dealer resealed it. In my case reseal did not stop the leak. 10 months later, the dealer changed a gasket (under repair/parts warranty) and did not fix the leak. The dealer had to replace entire the timing chain cover. Two months later, I still found oil on garage, the dealer replaced Bank 1 Intake Cam Timing Control Seal. It has been almost one month I have not yet see any drop of oil on the floor (knock on wood). All repairs were done under 6 years/70000 miles powertrain warranty. Every Lexus repair should also come with 1 year/10000 miles repair/part warranty.

Last edited by mnemons; 06-14-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 04:05 PM
mbuasan
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Now that both my powertrain warranty, CPO warranty and repair/part warranty expired since I had the work done 2 years ago at 60k miles. Any concerns of just leaving this as is or can an independent shop be trusted enough to do a reseal/replacement of this? Having a reseal, gasket change, and a timing control seal replacement is pretty ridiculous to have done on a relatively new-ish car.
Old 06-14-22, 04:32 PM
mnemons
Rookie

Originally Posted by mbuasan
Now that both my powertrain warranty, CPO warranty and repair/part warranty expired since I had the work done 2 years ago at 60k miles. Any concerns of just leaving this as is or can an independent shop be trusted enough to do a reseal/replacement of this? Having a reseal, gasket change, and a timing control seal replacement is pretty ridiculous to have done on a relatively new-ish car.
Having timing chain cover replaced or even resealed takes a lot of Labor Hours because the engine needs to be dropped. It will cost you a lot whether you have it done in independent shop. (If I remembered correctly, without notifying powertrain warranty, the dealer once quoted me $3000-4000 repair.) If I were you, I would return to the dealer to tell them their repair work did not fix the problem and ask for goodwill repair by contacting Lexus. My fourth repair was done 4 weeks before my powertrain warranty expired. I expressed my concern about another failure attempt. The service advisor told me not to worry about expired warranty since the leak was reported when car was still under warranty. Either LEXUS or them (the dealer) would likely continue fixing it until the problem stops.

Last edited by mnemons; 06-14-22 at 04:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mnemons:
coolbrazz (06-15-22), mbuasan (06-14-22), ravenuer (06-14-22)
Old 06-30-22, 09:22 PM
TommyGS
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes 16 rx350 has 94k miles out of warranty. Just noticed the small drips on the garage floor. Should be some type of recall on this?
Old 07-01-22, 04:07 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyGS
My wifes 16 rx350 has 94k miles out of warranty. Just noticed the small drips on the garage floor. Should be some type of recall on this?
Recalls are only done for safety reasons or emission problems.
The following users liked this post:
mnemons (07-01-22)
Old 07-04-22, 07:35 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My family and I have been Lexus fans for some time. Our last 5 cars were all Lexus (RXs, GXs, GS) and so I felt confident to buy a first year model, 2016 RX350.
Our 2016RX had multiple issues - AC gargling noise (took multiple tries to get it resolved), rocking driver seat (multiple visits to different dealerships), rough shifting transmission (TSB) and dreadful oil leaks.
Oil leaks started around 40K miles, fixed but reappeared again and again.
The latest issue was again - seeping oil and I was out of my powertrain warranty. I brought it back to the dealer who worked on it before and asked them to fix it again. Because more than a year and 10K miles passed since their last "fix" they would not do it under warranty and would charge me for it. I though it was ridiculous since this was the 3rd time I'm having oil seep - so I reached out to corporate.
Maybe b/c I had purchased multiple vehicles through Lexus - but corporate was helpful and picked up most of the bill to "fix" my oil seeping issue for the 3rd time.
Now that it has been more than a year and 10K miles after the 3rd "fix" my oil is seeping again. I guess I'm just going to live with it.
My guess, the oil issue only affects the early production cars. Still, I relied on Lexus reputation when I bought it back in January 2016. This has definitely tarnished Lexus image for me and I will never buy a first year model car again.

Old 07-04-22, 08:29 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Sorry you had to go through all that, but at least Lexus made good on most of your issues. I noticed you had a 2017 RX that you sold. How was that one?
By the way, this might be a good time to sell the 2016.
Old 07-04-22, 10:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Our 2017 bullet proof so far with nearly 70k on the clock.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak