RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 01:47 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OIL LEAK - 2016 RX350 45k miles

I have a 2016 RX350 F sport and noticed a puddle of oil on the floor of the garage today. Puddle is under the front right side of the car. Car was purchased as a Lexus CPO last year.

Has anyone had an oil leak coming from a similar location, if so what was it? Also will this be covered under the CPO warranty?

Thank you.
Old 04-07-20, 03:05 PM
c3uo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't had a leak, but would point out cartridge oil filter is front passenger side. Oil drain plug is front middle. Get down on a knee with a light and take a look.
Old 04-07-20, 03:32 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

There have been reports of timing chain cover leaks.
Old 04-07-20, 04:45 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

So much info is missing, when, where by whom was the last service, what parts were used. Just because there is oil doesn't necessarily mean it's Lexus fault, it could be owner;s fault too.
So we must have more info.
Old 04-07-20, 05:33 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
So much info is missing, when, where by whom was the last service, what parts were used. Just because there is oil doesn't necessarily mean it's Lexus fault, it could be owner;s fault too.
So we must have more info.
Here's your info. Leaking oil pan, due to a crappy job with the rtv oil pan gasket. Lexus's fault from the factory. Car is a CPO, purchased with 40k miles, dealer serviced, odo reads 47k.

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak-cnco4yfh.jpg

Will Lexus cover the repair under warranty? Do I speak with the dealer or go straight to Lexus? I don't want to deal with any dealer service manager bs games.

Last edited by robertw; 04-07-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 07:02 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 368 Posts

If you got a CPO, I see no reason this shouldn't be covered.
Old 04-08-20, 05:15 AM
Cocal
Racer

As Ravenr said since it's a CPO it ought to be covered by the dealer as he's the one that certified it. Having said that that gasket job doesn't look factory.
So someone had the pan off and then a leak developed, that's a pain, but how' that Lexus fault?
Old 04-08-20, 07:05 AM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

As Ravenr said since it's a CPO it ought to be covered by the dealer as he's the one that certified it. Having said that that gasket job doesn't look factory.
So someone had the pan off and then a leak developed, that's a pain, but how' that Lexus fault?
How is it not Lexus's fault, its a CPO with a 161 point inspection, perhaps Lexus needed a 162 point inspection to catch this when certifying it?

I've only driven the car for 7k miles since purchase last year. My wifes $15k (purchased new) Hyundai Sonata had less issues in 8 years than this $40k "luxury" vehicle after 4. It's embarrassing.
Old 04-08-20, 07:24 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by robertw
How is it not Lexus's fault, its a CPO with a 161 point inspection, perhaps Lexus needed a 162 point inspection to catch this when certifying it?

I've only driven the car for 7k miles since purchase last year. My wifes $15k (purchased new) Hyundai Sonata had less issues in 8 years than this $40k "luxury" vehicle after 4. It's embarrassing.
I can understand you frustration, but as I said your beef is with the dealer that certified it, not Lexus.
You may want to complain with Lexus about the dealer's shoddy certification so that everyone's on notice.
I really would pressure the dealer.
Old 04-08-20, 09:14 AM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

I can understand you frustration, but as I said your beef is with the dealer that certified it, not Lexus.
You may want to complain with Lexus about the dealer's shoddy certification so that everyone's on notice.
I really would pressure the dealer.
The issue is and will be the fact that I bought this car from a different dealer than the one who will be servicing it. The servicing dealer is the local dealership in my area that sells Lexus, but they didn't have many CPO RX350 at the time I was shopping for them, so I purchased this one from another dealership. I'm going to assume this whole situation is going to turn into a pita so I have Lexus involved before even bringing it in for service. I've dealt with dealerships and service depts regarding warranty work, and rarely is it hassle and argument free. They're always looking for a way to avoid warranty repairs or service. That's just the business model they operate under.
Old 04-08-20, 10:43 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by robertw
The issue is and will be the fact that I bought this car from a different dealer than the one who will be servicing it. The servicing dealer is the local dealership in my area that sells Lexus, but they didn't have many CPO RX350 at the time I was shopping for them, so I purchased this one from another dealership. I'm going to assume this whole situation is going to turn into a pita so I have Lexus involved before even bringing it in for service. I've dealt with dealerships and service depts regarding warranty work, and rarely is it hassle and argument free. They're always looking for a way to avoid warranty repairs or service. That's just the business model they operate under.
Every warranty is a hassle, this is where the dealer's mettle shows, I hope yours will be resolved soon.
Old 04-08-20, 11:24 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

That pan has been wrenched on (look at the bolts), and bead of silicone around the pan definitely is not factory applied. My guess is this: there was a leak from somewhere near the front of the engine, the tech determined that the pan was leaking, and resealed it. Bad diagnosis though; a known oil leak issue is the timing cover, and it’s an issue with the factory, robot applied, silicone sealer. The Tundra 5.7 has had cam tower leaks for the same reason. Whoever makes the next diagnosis should use the purple dye that’s added to the oil, and if there’s a leak, the tech would use an infrared light to trace the leak. This leak can be fixed, it’s just a pita, I know, I went through this with a Tundra. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (04-08-20)
Old 04-08-20, 03:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The RTV looks non factory, did you have the service records from the owners site to indicate anyone dropped the pan anytime?
Old 04-08-20, 04:01 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The RTV looks non factory, did you have the service records from the owners site to indicate anyone dropped the pan anytime?
Not that I'm aware of. I figured the car was Certified Pre Owned and would be all sorted and in good order. Checked for the obvious things like Carfax history for accidents. Car has been to the dealer for all service work but I didn't see anything major done. Typical oil change, belt check, brakes etc.
Old 04-08-20, 04:19 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

The reason you buy a Certified Pre Owned Lexus is to get the 2 years of extended warranty. Which is 2 years after the original warranty expires.

Call the Dealership you are going to take it to. Tell them your problem and that you need a loaner car. Drop it off and get it fixed correctly.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak