RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20 | 05:28 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXWes
The reason you buy a Certified Pre Owned Lexus is to get the 2 years of extended warranty. Which is 2 years after the original warranty expires.

Call the Dealership you are going to take it to. Tell them your problem and that you need a loaner car. Drop it off and get it fixed correctly.
So the 161 point inspection isn't part of CPO?

Car is being taken to the dealer tomorrow, let the games begin.
Old 04-08-20 | 07:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robertw
So the 161 point inspection isn't part of CPO?

Car is being taken to the dealer tomorrow, let the games begin.
161 or 1000, unless this inspections happens with you present its as great as nothing.

Hopefully the servicing dealer is ok with warrantying it up, if not you honestly should be bringing this to the attention of the selling dealership. They`re the ones who recently sold you the car i assume, so whoever did that job is responsible (assuming the selling dealer did this).
Old 04-08-20 | 07:26 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
161 or 1000, unless this inspections happens with you present its as great as nothing.

Hopefully the servicing dealer is ok with warrantying it up, if not you honestly should be bringing this to the attention of the selling dealership. They`re the ones who recently sold you the car i assume, so whoever did that job is responsible (assuming the selling dealer did this).
So when someone purchases a CPO Lexus, is it only certified by the dealership or is the certification a Lexus program? As in, is this certification just a dealership extended warranty rebadged or is the Certified Pre Owned Lexus a program the way it's shown on the Lexus official website?

https://www.lexus.com/lcertified?pds...&ds_rl=1252401

So if I purchased this Lexus in one state, moved across the country, am I supposed to ship the car back to the dealership that certified it for any warranty work?

So with the 161 point inspection, no one under the car (up on lift) noticed some unusual RTV around the oil pan? Assuming the techs look at these cars all day every day and can spot a simple irregularity from the factory.

Last edited by robertw; 04-08-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-08-20 | 07:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

So when someone purchases a CPO Lexus, is it only certified by the dealership or is the certification a Lexus program? As in, is this certification just a dealership extended warranty rebadged or is the Certified Pre Owned Lexus a program the way it's shown on the Lexus official website?

https://www.lexus.com/lcertified?pds...&ds_rl=1252401

So if I purchased this Lexus in one state, moved across the country, am I supposed to ship the car back to the dealership that certified it for any warranty work?

So with the 161 point inspection, no one under the car (up on lift) noticed some unusual RTV around the oil pan? Assuming the techs look at these cars all day every day and can spot a simple irregularity from the factory.

CPO=extended warranty product that Lexus corp backs instead of random 3rd party. Dealership service does all of the "certification" and you are entitled to service as long as its covered under the warranty terms at any US based Lexus dealership. Certification standards is a vague term which i associate similarly to the proverb "beauty is in the eyes of beholder"

Heres the thing, dealership A can say the RTV is up to standard, while dealership B can say its not. Warranty requests start with the first person you bring it to. Hence why I said hopefully the current servicing dealership oks this job, and this is a small blip in your ownership experience. If they give you some trouble, I`d want the original dealership who sold me the vehicle to look at it. If this RTV job was theirs, they should be able to warranty their own work and actually fix the damn thing.
Old 04-08-20 | 08:35 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

I cannot see why you would be turned down for warranty (provided that you are within the specified time period) on an engine oil leaking engine. If the factory service manual indicates that RTV can be used, then they can use it, but if not, then they should adhere to the Lexus service manual recommendation.
Old 04-09-20 | 08:47 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Regardless of RTV or whatever, you have an oil leak, which certainly should be covered by the CPO.
My only thing would be, I'd try and take it back to the selling dealer, who presumably did the certification, even though any Lexus dealer is supposed to honor it.
Old 04-09-20 | 10:25 AM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

The car is at the local Lexus dealership, the subf rame has to come out to do the oil pan leak repair, estimated 12 hr job, so I'm going to assume thats a $1500 bill. I was told this will be covered under the CPO, but they will get back to me once they file the claim and get approval to do the work. I was also informed the motor was pulled in the car for a timing cam cover leak repair job before it was sold to me.

All in all massively disappointing that a Lexus that hasn't reached 50k miles has had the motor pulled for cam cover leaks, and now the oil pan is leaking, and the subframe has to be dropped to repair that. I literally bought a Lexus to not have to deal with any of these issues, regardless if its covered under warranty or not. What's this vehicles ownership cost going to be once the warranty is up, we talking Range Rover levels of garbage with a Lexus product here? Sure seems like my car is on that track.
Old 04-09-20 | 11:28 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

All in all massively disappointing that a Lexus that hasn't reached 50k miles has had the motor pulled for cam cover leaks, and now the oil pan is leaking, and the subframe has to be dropped to repair that. I literally bought a Lexus to not have to deal with any of these issues, regardless if its covered under warranty or not. What's this vehicles ownership cost going to be once the warranty is up, we talking Range Rover levels of garbage with a Lexus product here? Sure seems like my car is on that track.
The issue with an assembly, repair or maintenance—on any vehicle—is the competence of the people working on said vehicle. In other words, you may have an excellent product, but inferior installation, thereby making the product appear inferior. I feel your pain as I've encountered what you are undergoing.
Old 04-09-20 | 12:09 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
The issue with an assembly, repair or maintenance—on any vehicle—is the competence of the people working on said vehicle. In other words, you may have an excellent product, but inferior installation, thereby making the product appear inferior. I feel your pain as I've encountered what you are undergoing.
Yeah it seems like the particular car I have there's just issues with it, all around, and I have to get rid of it before the CPO warranty expires, 2022. It is what it is, I'm out cash when trading it in, and Lexus has lost a customer. The amount of work, and the long term ownership expense that will be required for this vehicle out paces what I'll lose trading it in when the warranty is up. Pulling the motor to take care of the cam cover leaks, that has to be a $3500 job minimum. lol

Lexus is now a company you lease vehicles from.
Old 04-09-20 | 12:16 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Yeah it seems like the particular car I have there's just issues with it, all around, and I have to get rid of it before the CPO warranty expires, 2022. It is what it is, I'm out cash when trading it in, and Lexus has lost a customer. The amount of work, and the long term ownership expense that will be required for this vehicle out paces what I'll lose trading it in when the warranty is up. Pulling the motor to take care of the cam cover leaks, that has to be a $3500 job minimum. lol

Lexus is now a company you lease vehicles from.
You might get lucky with this different dealership as they may find other issues improperly repaired and fix said issues as well. Nowadays it's tough finding both good dealerships and service departments.
Old 04-09-20 | 12:22 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Unfortunately, most engine oil leaks (Lexus and Toyota) lead to the initial poor application of the formed in place gasket. Toyota knows, and has known, about the leaks for years, and all they’ve done is to update the silicone gasket material. The black silicone FIPG is what all techs now use when making the repair...factory still uses the gray crap. Hang in there, get the car repaired, and drive it; many other things to be concerned about right now.
Old 04-09-20 | 12:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

The car is at the local Lexus dealership, the subf rame has to come out to do the oil pan leak repair, estimated 12 hr job, so I'm going to assume thats a $1500 bill. I was told this will be covered under the CPO, but they will get back to me once they file the claim and get approval to do the work. I was also informed the motor was pulled in the car for a timing cam cover leak repair job before it was sold to me.

Yup as figured somewhere along the line someone had gone in there prior. I wonder why the lexus owners site didnt show that? But regardless if the current dealer does the job, hopefully they use the gasket on the parts list instead of the RTV and follow the book. Not really a LR, but I understand the frustration this has caused.
Old 04-09-20 | 12:46 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Real cork, or rubberized gaskets are not used anymore...99% of the time it’s FIPG. Cost cutting and faster. Sucks, I know, but that’s how it’s done in most makes and models.
Old 04-09-20 | 01:07 PM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Yup as figured somewhere along the line someone had gone in there prior. I wonder why the lexus owners site didnt show that? But regardless if the current dealer does the job, hopefully they use the gasket on the parts list instead of the RTV and follow the book. Not really a LR, but I understand the frustration this has caused.
Gasket is not used on the RX 350 oil pan. Dealer making the repair said they will be using a Lexus compound, their own branded RTV. Most manufactures use RTV vs gaskets, so nothing new here. Dealer doing the work did not say if the pan was worked on before or not, only that the motor was removed for the timing cam cover.
Old 07-07-20 | 03:48 PM
MTNPine
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 Rx350 Oil Problem

I'm new to the Forum. I just bought a used 2016 Lexus RX 350. There is roughly 45,000 miles on the truck. I noticed today that there was a very small spot of oil underneath the car. After further investigation I noticed that there seem to be a leak emanating from the passenger side of the engine. I've attached a couple of photos in hopes that you all might be able to poop point me in the right direction of what the problem might be. It doesn't seem to be a huge amount of oil but it's something that I definitely want to get taken care of if it's a big issue.

thank you for any of your help and all of your advice. I look forward to communicating with anyone who has suggestions or ideas!

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak