RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-sport seats, comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 07:01 PM
jay350f
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fair warning for anyone looking to get the FSport. These seats are just too narrow for the average adult. What I have found is that the middle section of the seat gets smaller as it moves to the back which not only creates a smaller area for your hiney, but also creates a more narrow seat in general.

What frustrates me most, they have more room to work with you can see that they left out a significant amount of material that should have extended past the seat plastics on the sides but instead they chose not to fill the entire area with seat material. This is something I notice with Lexus but every German competitor fills the entire area with seat material until it's literally touching the center console. Not Lexus, there's a huge gap on both sides that just makes me realize that the Sport seat are not catered towards larger people. Really want to have the seats modified at this point.. I'm even thinking taking a heat gun an a roller to the bolsters to try and stretch the material manually.

Additionally, the opposite inner most side near the seat belt is so stiff towards the rear that it's pinching a pressure point in my butt. This piece of the bolster feels like it's got the rigidity of rubber not kidding you. The passenger side however is softer. I just don't understand the silliness here and coming from only Audis am very disappointed with my first Lexus.. will not be getting another Lexus after this.

Why couldn't they have just put something from the GX in here.. You can see that they did not sew a seam right at the top of the bolster which is why they're so much more comfortable.

Old 08-28-22, 07:35 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jay350f
A fair warning for anyone looking to get the FSport. These seats are just too narrow for the average adult. What I have found is that the middle section of the seat gets smaller as it moves to the back which not only creates a smaller area for your hiney, but also creates a more narrow seat in general.

What frustrates me most, they have more room to work with you can see that they left out a significant amount of material that should have extended past the seat plastics on the sides but instead they chose not to fill the entire area with seat material. This is something I notice with Lexus but every German competitor fills the entire area with seat material until it's literally touching the center console. Not Lexus, there's a huge gap on both sides that just makes me realize that the Sport seat are not catered towards larger people. Really want to have the seats modified at this point.. I'm even thinking taking a heat gun an a roller to the bolsters to try and stretch the material manually.

Additionally, the opposite inner most side near the seat belt is so stiff towards the rear that it's pinching a pressure point in my butt. This piece of the bolster feels like it's got the rigidity of rubber not kidding you. The passenger side however is softer. I just don't understand the silliness here and coming from only Audis am very disappointed with my first Lexus.. will not be getting another Lexus after this.

Why couldn't they have just put something from the GX in here.. You can see that they did not sew a seam right at the top of the bolster which is why they're so much more comfortable.

yea bro they don’t break in! I had a 2017 F sport with 50k miles and I am also 6 ft 200 lbs and I hated the seats so much I sold the car in two years. I came from a 2001 GS 430 so I was expecting similar quality and I was really disappointed. The “leather” was so cheap and thin, no comfort at all and those damn side bolsters were horrible! Their top selling car and they couldn’t invest more on the seats, a real shame! I figured by 2022 they would’ve changed that but I guess not.
Old 08-28-22, 08:04 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Can't please everyone - if they were wider thinner people would move around. I just LOVE my F-Sport seats, I'm 6 foot 180 lbs and have no problems with them and I do a regular 450 mile trip every few weeks. Sorry it's not what you expected.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
Lexspeed (08-29-22), Skisurf1 (09-23-22)
Old 08-28-22, 11:38 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Well written and descriptive reviews of the F-Sport seats, DM Pesso and jay350f.

I came from a 2017 NX F-Sport to the 2022 RX F-Sport and did discover the "egg" right away and was concerned the seats would be a forever problem based upon the many complaints in this forum.

However, I just returned from a 3,000-mile trip and after some discomfort the first 300-400 miles, my but either got used to the seats or the seats got used to my butt, because I never again felt the discomfort described, and now a month and 1,000-miles later, I am still very comfortable in my Roja Red F-Sport seats.

I am 6-1/180.
The following 2 users liked this post by DampDuffer:
GSFRX350 (08-29-22), Lexspeed (08-29-22)
Old 08-29-22, 03:53 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 686 Likes on 401 Posts

There are 46K miles on my 2018, mostly short trips around suburbia, with occasional longer road trips and country drives. I occasionally fiddle with the lumbar support and the upright angle, but in general I'm comfortable where I last left the adjustments. Having had sciatica and back pain in the past, I can honestly say, in the last four years I've never had a minute of pain attributable to the seat in my car. I'm 5'9" and a bit overweight.
Old 08-29-22, 06:30 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
So are most fsport owners saying the bolster won't show the deep creases from the abuse it will take.? Sounds like a black interior would be a safer bet than the now common rojo red? I like the luxury but prefer the fsport grill
My wife’s 2017 F-Sport red seats are wearing pretty well. Keep them supple with a conditioner. We don’t really make any effort to avoid sliding across them. Looking at similar year F-Sports with black leather show similar wear to the red. To us, a slightly creased bolster looks and feels better than no bolster. My 36” waist size *** fits fine and it seems the longer the trip, the more comfy the seat. If I was much wider I can see how it might be uncomfortable. The sport modes really do make it a different car and truly flatten out the corners.If you’re in Sport mode and switch to Normal mode it feels like you hit sand and the car gains 1000lbs. Even my wife uses it as it makes the car feel much more in control on the twisty Cascade highway we frequent.
Old 08-29-22, 08:25 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

It only took 30 seconds of sitting in a F-Sport at the dealership shopping for my first RX back in 2016, and knew it wasn't for me.
I'm 6'4" 220lbs with sciatica flare-ups at times. I like the F-sport styling, but my back just gave me an hard No.
Glad others can enjoy them...
The following users liked this post:
Ulysses (08-03-24)
Old 08-29-22, 10:34 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
There are 46K miles on my 2018, mostly short trips around suburbia, with occasional longer road trips and country drives. I occasionally fiddle with the lumbar support and the upright angle, but in general I'm comfortable where I last left the adjustments. Having had sciatica and back pain in the past, I can honestly say, in the last four years I've never had a minute of pain attributable to the seat in my car. I'm 5'9" and a bit overweight.
I discovered that making such seat adjustments greatly helps to find the most comfortable sitting position. One cannot just 'park' in these seats an expect complete comfort. Fine tuning the seat adjustments makes a difference. Additionally, my wife and i find that the F Sport side bolsters actually improve seating comfort on trips. No more sliding around on a flat seat. Having said that I still find the bottom of all current model RX seats to be harder that my first gen and most other seats that I have experienced recently. The darn seat bottoms could be softer.
Old 08-29-22, 03:56 PM
Tundra07
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
Well written and descriptive reviews of the F-Sport seats, DM Pesso and jay350f.

I came from a 2017 NX F-Sport to the 2022 RX F-Sport and did discover the "egg" right away and was concerned the seats would be a forever problem based upon the many complaints in this forum.

However, I just returned from a 3,000-mile trip and after some discomfort the first 300-400 miles, my but either got used to the seats or the seats got used to my butt, because I never again felt the discomfort described, and now a month and 1,000-miles later, I am still very comfortable in my Roja Red F-Sport seats.

I am 6-1/180.
It might be like bicycle saddles! The big cushy seats seem great until you’re really putting miles in whereas the minimal skinny saddles seem uncomfortable at first but once you get used to them the big seats feel awful.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (08-29-22)
Old 08-29-22, 05:58 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Surprised at some of the comments in this thread, if you dont like the f sport, there are 2 other trim levels to choose from? (luxury and sports luxury)

Its all in the name too: f-"Sport", its not f-luxury...
Old 08-30-22, 08:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
Surprised at some of the comments in this thread, if you dont like the f sport, there are 2 other trim levels to choose from? (luxury and sports luxury)

Its all in the name too: f-"Sport", its not f-luxury...
The FSport seats in the RX are not made for humans. And I own and ES FSport but it's a totally different seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
irishbrahm (11-12-22), websurfer (08-31-22)
Old 08-31-22, 04:08 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The FSport seats in the RX are not made for humans. And I own and ES FSport but it's a totally different seat.
I have a GS350 F Sport and the seat booster aren't bad at all. They aren't that aggressive. We are okay with them.
Old 09-01-22, 01:46 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I have a GS350 F Sport and the seat booster aren't bad at all. They aren't that aggressive. We are okay with them.
In the gs fsport, the side bolsters are adjustable, im surprised the rx didnt come with this feature.
Old 09-23-22, 05:20 PM
2020RX450
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 450Luxury
I finally figured out what the problem is with this seat for me. The bottom cushion is so narrow and hard that I am basically sitting on the left bolster. This makes me angle my pelvis and my back (which I have problems with) is popping out of joint. Every 5-10 min of driving I have to get out and stand up, due to the fact that this seat is making me cramp up. On top of that, when I sit in a normal upright position. My head is millimeters away from touching the headliner. I don’t get it. Not all packages are the same. Maybe it’s the combo of the genuine leather seats in the luxury package combined with the lower internal roof of the glass panoramic. I think about how to resolve this problem multiple times a week.
I created an account just to respond to this post. As an F-Sport passenger, this is exactly my situation.

The seat is positioned in such a way that I am unable to spread my left leg; it always presses against the central console. And yet, I find the entirety of the right bolster digging into my right thigh. (No digging on the left side, for some reason--perhaps because the seat is located so close to the central console that my butt doesn't even make it there.) To compensate for the pain and discomfort, I unconsciously shift my weight to my left side, such that I am now experiencing pain and discomfort in my left hip and thigh. Also, my head almost touches the roof and my hair constantly rubs against it--I am only 5'8.

The seat is simply too narrow; there is a giant gap between the seat and the door. Dead space.

I think it may be a matter of adjusting the seat, but I don't know what else I can do. Maybe sit on the bolster to forcibly flatten it?
Old 11-11-22, 05:56 AM
thrushdn
3rd Gear

My girlfriend and I have the exact same issue. Our back hurts and legs go numb in these seats. I have tried numerous cushions and seat covers with some improvement but probably going to sell this care for the luxury version or another car with more comfortable seats. The bottom of the seat towards the back is very firm and something weird about the angle of these seats. If you have back problems I would avoid these. Regular RX seats are softer so they might be better?

Quick Reply: F-sport seats, comfortable?