RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-sport seats, comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 06:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I have a GS350 F Sport and the seat booster aren't bad at all. They aren't that aggressive. We are okay with them.
Same in ES but I know the ones in the RX were impossible for me to get comfortable in. IMPOSSIBLE I repeat and my daily driver is an ES FSport.
Old 11-11-22, 06:45 AM
thrushdn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about getting sheepskin covers for it but they would be a bear to install given the flap in the back of the seat and lots of wiring and hardware below. I did this in an mercedes E years ago for similar reasons and it did help.
Old 11-11-22, 11:10 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 250 Posts

I've been trying out the GS f sport leg extender, I was getting tired legs due to long daily commuting. So far, it has helps. Does the RX F sport have the leg extender?
Old 11-11-22, 01:27 PM
thrushdn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Seats

My F-Sport does not have the extender. The Luxury version does.
Old 11-11-22, 05:05 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

My 2016 F sport seats were very firm, and narrow. My right lower hip and tailbone would feel some pain on drives of more than 1 hour; very common while sitting on a harder surface.
Today I took my 2022 F sport for a 4.5 hour road trip and experienced no pain. I am in much worse shape these days than in 2016.

I find the 2022 seat slightly wider and slightly softer. These seats are not for everyone. The regular seats in all other RX are probably more suited to most folks.

As for the position, they do move to adjust the angle. This can help with certain stress being placed on the lower back. Takes some time to find the sweet spot. Using different angles while on a road trip can help as well. If your legs are going numb, the front of the seat is probably up too high.

Sitting in them at a dealer for a few minutes or even a good test drive usually is not enough to know if they are going to be an issue.

Years ago, I drove a lot, 60K per year and I had an orthopedic cushion. This worked very well, but they get a little warm sitting on them for hours, but no pain.

Old 12-20-22, 04:48 AM
Mcmerle
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new 2022 RX 350 F Sport in August of this year. The drivers and passenger front seats are extremely firm. Too firm. They hurt my *** after a half hour of driving. I have tried 4 different car seat cushions to add some cushioning. I found 1 that helps a little. I’m so upset with myself for not noticing this when I test drove it. I’m not sure how long I will keep this RX 350 if the seat doesn’t soften up soon. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know of a way to soften up the seat?
The following users liked this post:
NoThirdRow (12-20-22)
Old 12-20-22, 06:09 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

It's called an F Sport for a reason and unfortunately, you should have noticed this before you bought it.
Old 12-20-22, 07:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

The FSport seats in the RX are awful and I figured that out in less than five minutes in the showroom. On the other hand, the FSport seats in my ES are nowhere near as aggressive and I love them.
Old 12-20-22, 07:39 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcmerle
I bought a new 2022 RX 350 F Sport in August of this year. The drivers and passenger front seats are extremely firm. Too firm. They hurt my *** after a half hour of driving. I have tried 4 different car seat cushions to add some cushioning. I found 1 that helps a little. I’m so upset with myself for not noticing this when I test drove it. I’m not sure how long I will keep this RX 350 if the seat doesn’t soften up soon. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know of a way to soften up the seat?
I have a '17 f-sport, sorry to say but the seats will not soften up, if anything they get firmer. Doesn't bother me but I sure can see it being a big issue for some folks.
DampDuffer (12-20-22)
Old 12-20-22, 08:40 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately, some of us here has experienced the firmness of the F-sport seats. It only took my back a few minuets to let me know that I didn't need a test drive.
There's much talk about this on the forum and some I think found some type of support cushion. Of course there is plan B which is a different pain in the butt, trade or sell.
Sorry you didn't notice this sooner. The dealer was probably low on inventory in the show room for a good comparison.
Let us know what you decide..
Old 12-20-22, 12:33 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
I have a '17 f-sport, sorry to say but the seats will not soften up, if anything they get firmer. Doesn't bother me but I sure can see it being a big issue for some folks.
I have a 2022 F-Sport and agree, the seats do not soften up.

They felt too firm for me for about two weeks, and then during a 2,000 mile+ road trip, the discomfort disappeared and has NOT reappeared in the six months since. Perhaps my butt softened up...my wife says it hasn't gotten any firmer.

Although she eventually stopped using it, my wife had a seat cushion made by cleveryellow.com in England that she used in a previous Lexus and found was very comfortable in the F-Sport. However, I think they may have gone out of business during the pandemic.
Old 06-26-23, 07:29 AM
Chop123
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Uncomfortable F Sport Seats-16-21. Is there a fix?

Hi- I live in MN and just drove a 2019 RX350 F sport back from Florida. I had test driven one up here and liked it. However, when I was on the road back to MN, the seats became very uncomfortable. The right and left edges of the seat are raised and have very firm foam. In addition, there is a very firm wire-like piping along the top. Lastly, while the ridges of the seat get wider as it moves to the front of the vehicle, it is not much. So, if you drive with your legs spread apart, the ridges hit you mid thigh and cause them to go numb. I am 6' tall and 215 pounds. When I keep my legs close together, they fit inside of the confines of the ridges but that is just not the way I drive for long distances.

I have seen a lot of comments on this forum about seat preferences but not much on fixing the problem. Has anyone run into this problem and resolved it? If I pulled out the seats, would non-F Sport seats from a 2016-2021 fit the existing frame rails and electrical connections? I saw one mention of a guy that took out the seats and added foam underneath but no pictures or videos. I would expect this would stop the cooling from working. Probably the heating too.

If you are looking for an F Sport be cautious, you will not notice the hard/narrow seats until you have driven them for a while.

Thanks-Paul
RGSW (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 05:46 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chop123
I have seen a lot of comments on this forum about seat preferences but not much on fixing the problem. Has anyone run into this problem and resolved it?

If you are looking for an F Sport be cautious, you will not notice the hard/narrow seats until you have driven them for a while.

Thanks-Paul
paul, i have a 2022 350RX F-Sport that just logged 20k miles. My seats were uncomfortable if i made a 1-2 hour trip. Frankly, my butt ached. I bought after market gel cushions to address the problem. They worked well and i used them for about a year. One day i decided to remove them. To my (and my wife's) surprise we discovered we didn't need them for a long distance trip. We just made a 5 hour one way trip and we felt great in our seats. Did the seats soften up? Did they fix themselves? Did our butts adjust? Frankly, I don't know, but we don't use our expensive gel pads anymore and are happy with our F-Sport seats. Frankly, i believe his issue may be very subjective.
ravenuer (06-27-23)
Old 06-28-23, 11:48 AM
jimaizumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Its interesting to hear many supporting the opinion that the F-Sports are uncomfortable. For me, I initially test drove the luxury and I couldn't stand the standard seats as i felt like I was sliding all over the place. As a result, I had opted in to buy my 2020 F-Sport, made a number of trips back and forth between NY and Florida and have not had any issues over discomfort. Then again, I'm not too tall (5'9") nor am I too wide (175 lbs) so it could be that these seats are not for those with a larger/wider frame?
The following 3 users liked this post by jimaizumi:
AAJogger (06-29-23), ericsan13 (06-30-23), Kbains71 (07-02-23)
Old 06-28-23, 12:08 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by jimaizumi
Its interesting to hear many supporting the opinion that the F-Sports are uncomfortable. For me, I initially test drove the luxury and I couldn't stand the standard seats as i felt like I was sliding all over the place. As a result, I had opted in to buy my 2020 F-Sport, made a number of trips back and forth between NY and Florida and have not had any issues over discomfort. Then again, I'm not too tall (5'9") nor am I too wide (175 lbs) so it could be that these seats are not for those with a larger/wider frame?
Which brings us to the ole sayin, "there's an ssa for every seat"!!

Quick Reply: F-sport seats, comfortable?