RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil changes maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22 | 06:58 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

My issue on DIY is having the time. Since I'm not retired yet with a M-F job. I have only the weekend to do my need-to list.
So my alternative solution with car maintenance. I'll purchase my flavor of oil & OEM parts to install and just pay the labor.
I don't use the dealer for everything only things that may question my warranty coverage. This cut some cost since I can purchase the parts cheaper than the shop.

Good video though, but I would have traded that ride in....

Last edited by coolbrazz; 08-03-22 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-03-22 | 09:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Seems like a lot of FUD from someone who owns an auto shop and anecdotally took one bad example. He even has a section to scare you: "What to do if this happened to you?". Even the title is baitclick/exaggerated: "TOYOTA OWNERS! Please NEVER Do THIS to Your Toyota!". Good way to drive views.

Several flaws in the video:
If the owner took the camry to toyota, it was filled with the cheapest oil (his words). Probably a low-tier synthetic blend. For all we know, this car could've been getting non-synthetic oil every 10k miles from an quick oil shop.
Owner kept driving the car after oil consumption was discovered at 120k all the way to 180k miles. OF COURSE it looks bad inside the engine, especially compared to a new engine.
He's claiming the owner was adding 1qt/1000mi to 3qt/1000mi for that 60k mile interval before it crapped out. Did the owner consistently really add that much oil? Wouldn't trading it in or selling it have been easier? Hmmmm.

I'll stick with 10k full synthetic oil changes. If you are using cheap oil, do it every 5k. It's your time to waste.
The following 5 users liked this post by ericsan13:
BillUK (08-04-22), brook41 (08-03-22), Freds430 (08-03-22), GSFRX350 (08-08-22), ravenuer (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22 | 10:41 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Seems like a lot of FUD from someone who owns an auto shop and anecdotally took one bad example. He even has a section to scare you: "What to do if this happened to you?". Even the title is baitclick/exaggerated: "TOYOTA OWNERS! Please NEVER Do THIS to Your Toyota!". Good way to drive views.

If the owner took the camry to toyota, it was filled with the cheapest oil (his words). Probably a low-tier synthetic blend. For all we know, this car could've been getting non-synthetic oil every 10k miles from an quick oil shop.
Owner kept driving the car after oil consumption was discovered at 120k all the way to 180k miles. OF COURSE it looks bad inside the engine, especially compared to a new engine.
He's claiming the owner was adding 1qt/1000mi to 3qt/1000mi for that 60k mile interval before it crapped out. Did the owner consistently really add that much oil? Wouldn't trading it in or selling it have been easier? Hmmmm.

I'll stick with 10k full synthetic oil changes. If you are using cheap oil, do it every 5k. It's your time to waste.

I agree about the owner of the car that kept on driving adding that much oil. They should have traded it to the dealer that did the oil analysis since they have been doing all the recommended services.
As for the video it was informative of the engine rebuild, and confirmed what I already know not to use cheap oil. What's obvious is to use good judgement in knowing when to trade for a new car. In this case your rebuilt engine is still working with your old transmission.
Old 08-03-22 | 12:57 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Seems like a lot of FUD from someone who owns an auto shop ...
What in the world would an auto shop owner have to gain by advocating for more frequent oil changes? It's not going to gain him much, if anything -- lots of people change their own, and he gets the same per hour changing oil as doing major repairs.. It would be in his best interest to keep his mouth shut and keep doing the $6K rebuilds. With his level of experience and skill, he has no need to spread FUD.
The following users liked this post:
exonw (08-04-22)
Old 08-03-22 | 02:01 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,168 Likes on 755 Posts

Agree 100%. No way a Mobil 1 or any top rated syntetic oil will not last 10,000 miles.
The following 4 users liked this post by Freds430:
brook41 (08-03-22), ericsan13 (08-04-22), NJLEXES (08-04-22), ravenuer (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22 | 09:58 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by dibl
What in the world would an auto shop owner have to gain by advocating for more frequent oil changes? It's not going to gain him much, if anything -- lots of people change their own, and he gets the same per hour changing oil as doing major repairs.. It would be in his best interest to keep his mouth shut and keep doing the $6K rebuilds. With his level of experience and skill, he has no need to spread FUD.
Exaggeration = views = money = exposure = customers, you pick
The following 3 users liked this post by ericsan13:
coolbrazz (08-04-22), Freds430 (08-04-22), GSFRX350 (08-08-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 05:40 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

In the UK (and I guess most of Europe) 10k oil changes are the norm. It's incredibly rare to hear of cars being trashed due to insufficient oil changes. Mostly it's due to rust, poor overall maintenance, accident damage, expensive electronic failures, gearbox failure. There are many things far more likely to write a car off than 10k oil changes with synthetic oil.

Here Lexus recommend 1yr/10k changes and warranty cars up to 10yrs/100k if serviced in house, with an option to extend to 15yrs/150k, so I guess they're confident in those intervals. Personally I'm happy with the 1yr/10k interval with good quality synthetic engine oil. I do change the transmission oil periodically, even though it appeared fine at around 100k.

Oh, and I see zero oil usage between changes on a 12yr old/100k+ car

Last edited by BillUK; 08-04-22 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-04-22 | 05:45 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

YouTubers know that to get views that it is in your best interest to use clickbait type titles.
I don't think however that CCN is creating this content to get me to use his shop. He started his channel when he was working at a dealership. He recently left his dealership job to open his own shop near Chicago. Most of his titles are not clickbait and most of his advice is not exaggeration. I am sure that my views are earning him $ and I am sure that he is now getting some customers. I would kill to find a trustworthy mechanic in my area.

I have been a regular viewer of his channel b/c he frequently provides useful how-to videos that help me to maintain and DIY my vehicles. These save me significant money.
I genuinely believe that he is sharing his experience and knowledge as a Toyota trained master-mechanic. If he makes a few $ for his work making these videos to help people then I am OK with that.

Like all things, including with cars, opinions differ. We have all enduring the regular vs premium gas endless threads. Likewise "lifetime" transmission fluid, and now oil type and maintenance schedule.

I think that the point beyond any particular schedule is to be aware of what is actually happening when you drop you vehicle for service. As I mentioned previously I have long had suspicions regarding the work and inspections that the local Toyota dealership was "doing" on my wife's 4Runner. I am confident that they never inspected anything during routine maintenance other than to look for other things that they could charge us for. Ironically their insistence that the transmission fluid was lifetime was correct when her transmission failed at the end of its lifetime. This is why I shared his video. Take a minute to check out his other videos if you enjoy working on or learning more about cars.

So I will continue to do my own oil changes, transmission fluid changes, etc at regular intervals with quality materials so that I know what is going into my vehicle and when it is being done. An oil change cost me approximately $35 and I rotate tires and do inspection at the same time. Knowing that our vehicles are being properly maintained for a long life (and saving money at the same time) is money well spent.

Last edited by Quantum501; 08-04-22 at 06:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quantum501:
dibl (08-04-22), exonw (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 07:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
YouTubers know that to get views that it is in your best interest to use clickbait type titles.
I don't think however that CCN is creating this content to get me to use his shop. He started his channel when he was working at a dealership. He recently left his dealership job to open his own shop near Chicago. Most of his titles are not clickbait and most of his advice is not exaggeration. I am sure that my views are earning him $ and I am sure that he is now getting some customers. I would kill to find a trustworthy mechanic in my area.

I have been a regular viewer of his channel b/c he frequently provides useful how-to videos that help me to maintain and DIY my vehicles. These save me significant money.
I genuinely believe that he is sharing his experience and knowledge as a Toyota trained master-mechanic. If he makes a few $ for his work making these videos to help people then I am OK with that.

Like all things, including with cars, opinions differ. We have all enduring the regular vs premium gas endless threads. Likewise "lifetime" transmission fluid, and now oil type and maintenance schedule.

I think that the point beyond any particular schedule is to be aware of what is actually happening when you drop you vehicle for service. As I mentioned previously I have long had suspicions regarding the work and inspections that the local Toyota dealership was "doing" on my wife's 4Runner. I am confident that they never inspected anything during routine maintenance other than to look for other things that they could charge us for. Ironically their insistence that the transmission fluid was lifetime was correct when her transmission failed at the end of its lifetime. This is why I shared his video. Take a minute to check out his other videos if you enjoy working on or learning more about cars.

So I will continue to do my own oil changes, transmission fluid changes, etc at regular intervals with quality materials so that I know what is going into my vehicle and when it is being done. An oil change cost me approximately $35 and I rotate tires and do inspection at the same time. Knowing that our vehicles are being properly maintained for a long life (and saving money at the same time) is money well spent.
My coworker's 4Runner with 250K miles on the clock never had trans fluid changed. Like you say, these debates will go on forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Freds430 (08-04-22), GSFRX350 (08-08-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 08:46 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 419 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BillUK
In the UK (and I guess most of Europe) 10k oil changes are the norm. It's incredibly rare to hear of cars being trashed due to insufficient oil changes. Mostly it's due to rust, poor overall maintenance, accident damage, expensive electronic failures, gearbox failure. There are many things far more likely to write a car off than 10k oil changes with synthetic oil.

Here Lexus recommend 1yr/10k changes and warranty cars up to 10yrs/100k if serviced in house, with an option to extend to 15yrs/150k, so I guess they're confident in those intervals. Personally I'm happy with the 1yr/10k interval with good quality synthetic engine oil. I do change the transmission oil periodically, even though it appeared fine at around 100k.

Oh, and I see zero oil usage between changes on a 12yr old/100k+ car
Thanks for your insight. Presumably the '10k' interval you mention is 10,000 kilometers, which is 6210 miles. Did I interpret your comment correctly?
Old 08-04-22 | 08:58 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 419 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
.... Ironically their insistence that the transmission fluid was lifetime was correct when her transmission failed at the end of its lifetime. This is why I shared his video. Take a minute to check out his other videos if you enjoy working on or learning more about cars.
I can't stop laughing, and will never be able to read "lifetime warranty" the same again!

Like you, it costs me about $33 to change my oil with high quality full synthetic and a Lexus filter, and not much time. The RX is so convenient it's done with no mess, unlike some other vehicles I've had. In the end, I do my own oil changes under the belief that my workmanship is better than the lowest guy on the totem pole at the dealer's garage. I'm also splitting the difference on mileage, changing my alleged 10,000 mile vehicles at ~6,500-7,500 miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by bamalam:
dibl (08-04-22), exonw (08-04-22), Quantum501 (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 10:47 AM
NotAFiat
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

An interesting video done by a Toyota technician concerning the 10,000 mile oil change interval. He now opened his own shop and has a YouTube channel called "The Car Care Nut". He specializes in Toyota and Lexus. He recommends 5000 mile oil changes. The video is well worth watching.
​​​​​​

xring01 (01-14-24)
Old 08-04-22 | 11:25 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Thanks for your insight. Presumably the '10k' interval you mention is 10,000 kilometers, which is 6210 miles. Did I interpret your comment correctly?
No, I'm the UK and so it's miles. My fault for not specifying.
bamalam (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22 | 02:59 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

An interesting video done by a Toyota technician concerning the 10,000 mile oil change interval. He now opened his own shop and has a YouTube channel called "The Car Care Nut". He specializes in Toyota and Lexus. He recommends 5000 mile oil changes. The video is well worth watching.
Originally Posted by BillUK
No, I'm the UK and so it's miles. My fault for not specifying.
I believe they recommend 5000, because it generates twice the business.
The following 3 users liked this post by golferjack:
Freds430 (08-04-22), GSFRX350 (08-08-22), xring01 (01-14-24)
Old 08-04-22 | 04:06 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by NotAFiat
This guy must be paying big bucks to some social media marketing company to shill this over all the web or some followers are doing it for him. I just did a search on other forums and guess what shows up...this garbage.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-27637154 (posted three times in this thread...)
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/oi...aution.322446/

Last edited by ericsan13; 08-04-22 at 04:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
Freds430 (08-04-22), GSFRX350 (08-10-22)

Quick Reply: Oil changes maintenance Schedule