RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil changes maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22 | 06:16 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
An interesting video done by a Toyota technician concerning the 10,000 mile oil change interval. He now opened his own shop and has a YouTube channel called "The Car Care Nut". He specializes in Toyota and Lexus. He recommends 5000 mile oil changes. The video is well worth watching.
I believe they recommend 5000, because it generates twice the business.
Boy does this sound familiar!!
Old 08-07-22 | 02:19 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
This guy must be paying big bucks to some social media marketing company to shill this over all the web or some followers are doing it for him. I just did a search on other forums and guess what shows up...this garbage.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-27637154 (posted three times in this thread...)
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/oi...aution.322446/
its just people like us watched his video and posted on forum doesn't mean social media paying him. i just watched that video few days ago it poped on my youtube and saw he change out a engine cause its doing 10k oil change and he say if doing 5k oil change might not need a engine swap. I do my oil change every 5k too got used to doing 5k oil change on my old cars
Old 08-07-22 | 04:05 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 608 Likes on 424 Posts

This guy must be paying big bucks to some social media marketing company to shill this over all the web or some followers are doing it for him. I just did a search on other forums and guess what shows up...this garbage.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-27637154 (posted three times in this thread...)
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/oi...aution.322446/

I'm not saying if i agree or disagree with him, but his comments are based on his personal observation, experience and knowledge.

At the end of the day it's up to everyone to use their own common sense and analyse the information provided to make a better judgment.
Old 08-08-22 | 06:51 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobe
I do my own oil changes at 5000 mile intervals. It takes me about 20 min and is cheap. I also usually keep my cars as long as possible. I think I get a lot of my money back when I sell my cars. I have a sheet of paper which shows all of my compulsive oil changes and service items that I include with my used car advertisements. Prospective buyers eyes light up when they see a car that has been meticulously maintained. I can increase by sale price by $1000-2000 when I can show proof of my excellent car maintenance to prospective buyers.

I remember when I sold my last Lexus Rx back to my dealer. I whipped out my service records showing my 30 oil changes over 150,000 miles and he instantly gave me a good offer without even having his mechanics look at the car. He told me he needed to take it for a test drive but decided not to even bother when I showed my service records. For me, there is almost no downside to going the extra mile on maintenance since I can do most of it myself cheap.
Another way to save and show that information is to get the CARFAX app. You can log your DIY maintenance and even attach receipts. Now that so many people want a CARFAX report when shopping used vehicles your diligent maintenance will show up.
Old 08-10-22 | 05:35 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

The video is on You Tube, it must be true.
So he cherry picks this car to show us. Now do we REALLY know the full history of this vehicle? Has the owner specified the real history, maybe he actually forgot a service here and there, who knows for certain. Also if this is the result of not changing oil why are two cylinders fine?
I'm far from convinced, I've driven vehicles for over 3.6 million kms now, usually serviced as per manufacturers recommendations which many were 15,000kms. When times were tough there was a vehicle I serviced every 30,000 or so, missing the services in between and I have never had a car that burnt oil. Something I did was check the levels to make sure and never found the level low or even down slightly.

Think about it, why were two cylinder rings seized badly, just two and the others fine? Surely if the oil was the problem it would have affected all cylinders. There's something else going on here I suspect.
The following 3 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
BillUK (08-11-22), brook41 (08-12-22), pentaprism (08-10-22)
Old 08-15-22 | 11:27 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Is it really that difficult to loosen oil filter cup (2017 RX)? I tried with this Lexus/Toyota compatible tool but was just so tight that I became afraid to continue. I was able to loosen/open the washer-type bolt at the bottom-of-case. I continued replacing oil as I've already drained it. Not the ideal thing but I reckon still better than waiting for 10K-mi /16K-km. Was thinking should there be a different tool that I should have used or just more courage.. thoughts

Originally Posted by exonw
Better late than never but I'll start DIY every 5K mi/8K km. Total cost of parts from my dealer = CA$51.63 (~US$40.21)
Detailed Pricing below;
CA$ 41.70 - 6 ltrs Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic Oil
CA$ 7.95 - Oil filter element (P/N: 04152-YZZA1)
CA$ 1.98 - Drain Plug Gasket (Blue)

Last edited by exonw; 08-15-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-15-22 | 01:36 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it really that difficult to loosen oil filter cup (2017 RX)? I tried with this Lexus/Toyota compatible tool but was just so tight that I became afraid to continue. I was able to loosen/open the washer-type bolt at the bottom-of-case. I continued replacing oil as I've already drained it. Not the ideal thing but I reckon still better than waiting for 10K-mi /16K-km. Was thinking should there be a different tool that I should have used or just more courage.. thoughts
It should've only been tightened with 18 ft-lbs or so of torque. That means about 18 pounds of force applied with a wrench that you're holding at a distance of 1 foot from the filter.

If it was over-tightened, just use more force. Don't do it when the engine is fully cold and definitely not when hot. Maybe lukewarm.

The following users liked this post:
exonw (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22 | 01:45 PM
NotAFiat
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Oil Filter Wrench

I don't know why these are over tightened. What keeps the filter cover from leaking is the proper placement of the O-ring which is included when you buy the filter element. Over tightening will only increase the chance of it breaking when trying to loosen it. It's very important to change the filter along with the oil. Attached are some photos of the wrench I use which fits perfectly. Make sure your wrench fits over the tabs on the cap.

Last edited by NotAFiat; 08-15-22 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotAFiat:
coolbrazz (08-15-22), exonw (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22 | 02:30 PM
Tundra07
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great, sturdy tool that fits perfectly, has two different points of contact, the filter rim and the longer tabs.
Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4 and More - 64mm 14 Flute Precision CNC Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Removal Tool https://a.co/d/4BPDOzl
The following 2 users liked this post by Tundra07:
exonw (08-15-22), Quantum501 (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22 | 04:51 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundra07
This is a great, sturdy tool that fits perfectly, has two different points of contact, the filter rim and the longer tabs.
Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4 and More - 64mm 14 Flute Precision CNC Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Removal Tool https://a.co/d/4BPDOzl
I have this and it works perfectly. Motive has an updated version as well.

I use it when I change my oil every 15,000 miles b/c Mobil 1 says its ok.
Old 08-15-22 | 06:07 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I think this is what I should've done, with a lukewarm-engine, as I did it with cold engine (sitting in garage overnight). I'll try it in my next "mid-cycle" oil/filter change as i'm already bringing it next for when it's due with the regular 10K-mi/16K-km oil/filter change interval. Thanks

It should've only been tightened with 18 ft-lbs or so of torque. That means about 18 pounds of force applied with a wrench that you're holding at a distance of 1 foot from the filter.
If it was over-tightened, just use more force. Don't do it when the engine is fully cold and definitely not when hot. Maybe lukewarm.
Old 08-18-22 | 01:07 PM
bellamonie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change schedule

I just purchased a 2019 RX model and since there isn’t a Lexus dealership in my area, I went to the local Toyota dealership for an oil change. They placed a reminder sticker inside the windshield for the next oil change in 8000km. I was under the impression I could go to roughly 15000km between synthetic oil changes. Who is right?
Old 08-18-22 | 02:21 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,168 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by bellamonie
I just purchased a 2019 RX model and since there isn’t a Lexus dealership in my area, I went to the local Toyota dealership for an oil change. They placed a reminder sticker inside the windshield for the next oil change in 8000km. I was under the impression I could go to roughly 15000km between synthetic oil changes. Who is right?
10,000 miles is correct if using synthetic.. They want your money.
Old 08-18-22 | 03:22 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bellamonie
... I was under the impression I could go to roughly 15000km between synthetic oil changes. ...
Question: Are you most interested in "can go" or "should go"?

Lexus is happy to officially recommend 10K miles (16,093km) for your oil change interval. If you follow that recommendation, your car will most likely survive the powertrain warranty period with no lubrication failures, resulting in zero liability on the part of Lexus. After that, lubrication failures are your problem.

Think about it. ..... Maybe use google a little. ....

The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Lexspeed (08-18-22), Quantum501 (08-19-22)
Old 08-29-22 | 08:02 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Average cost of oil/filter change

Am taking my 2021 rx350 in for it's first oil change. 10k miles an am curious what a typical cost is ?

i was told $119

does that sound average ?

Thanks, John

Quick Reply: Oil changes maintenance Schedule