RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil changes maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22 | 06:25 PM
markn
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. Went back out now and found it in an ajacent part of the Settings display. I needed to carrot left in the display to bring a different part of the menu up showing the oil / maintenance reset. One keystroke that was not listed but know how to get to it now that I found it. Again Thanks
Old 10-27-22 | 08:21 AM
JohnnySack
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First oil change at 1000mi

I've always done a break-in oil change with my new cars. Since the filter on the 2GR is pretty easy to take apart, I decided to take a look. Pretty surprised to see how much I found. With that said, I know the filter was doing it's job and the oil coming out on the other side is likely clean. But I'm hoping to keep this car for a very long time so there was no way I was going to wait until 10k for a first oil change.

All pleats had same amount of material.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnySack:
FMY421 (04-12-23), RaiderHawk (10-31-22)
Old 10-27-22 | 09:22 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnySack
I've always done a break-in oil change with my new cars.
I'm with you on that. I did my first change around 1K miles. My car is closing in on the 50K mile service. I bought a Blackstone oil test kit for the 45K mile change, which I did myself, and it's all good in all parameters.

As far as the filter, not sure what those little bits of stuff are, or whether they came out of the engine oil or were already there. Nevertheless, not a bad idea to replace that too at 1K miles. Wix makes a nice filter kit for the 2GR.
Old 11-10-22 | 02:16 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 251 Likes on 199 Posts

Same here with oil change when breaking in the engine. I waited a little longer and changed the oil and filter at 4K, then got the free oil change at 10K. I didn’t check the dip stick when they changed it. In my last oil change I noticed oil seeping down from the timing cover area. Gonna take it in for possible warranty work.
Old 06-19-23 | 05:45 AM
tempgal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conflicting Maintenance Info

I recently bought a used 2022 Lexus RX 350 from a Chrysler dealer. The car had approx 24,500 miles on May 21, when I bought it. Now I'm getting some conflicting info, as follows. (I've rounded all the numbers.)
  • There is a dealer sticker on the window that says 28,000 miles. I have about 25,000 miles on it now, so I should have about 3,000 miles to go before I need an oil change.
  • I'm getting a pop-up error message NOW, at about 25,000 miles, that says I am due for Maintenance.
  • When I check the options for Odometer, Trip A, Trip B, and Maintenance, it says that I am due for maintenance in another 8,500 miles, which would bring me to about 33,500 miles.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-23 | 06:12 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tempgal
I recently bought a used 2022 Lexus RX 350 from a Chrysler dealer. The car had approx 24,500 miles on May 21, when I bought it. Now I'm getting some conflicting info, as follows. (I've rounded all the numbers.)
  • There is a dealer sticker on the window that says 28,000 miles. I have about 25,000 miles on it now, so I should have about 3,000 miles to go before I need an oil change.
  • I'm getting a pop-up error message NOW, at about 25,000 miles, that says I am due for Maintenance.
  • When I check the options for Odometer, Trip A, Trip B, and Maintenance, it says that I am due for maintenance in another 8,500 miles, which would bring me to about 33,500 miles.

Thanks.
Maybe you may want to disconnect the battery for about an hour to clear everything and start new again. The computer will relearn your driving habits.
Old 06-19-23 | 06:25 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks.
The Lexus has two indicators: one for oil and one for maintenance. Guessing either the tech botched the reset after the last oil/maintenance, or the window sticker is wrong. Maybe both? I'd just call the dealer and ask when was the last oil change.
Old 06-19-23 | 06:28 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

Thanks.
I think that the reminder is set for 10,000 mile changes, so I assume that the reset was done at 18,000. I would recommend that you consider doing oil every 5000 miles but that is a personal choice. Who knows when it was actually done, so I would do sooner than later.

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-19-23 | 06:49 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks.
You can set the maintenance reminder feature to whatever mileage you want. You are looking at the previous owners settings. Or, you can just turn it off as it is a nuisance in my opinion.
Pull the oil dipstick out while the engine is cold and look at it closely. Since you have put only 500 miles on the car, the oil on the stick should look fairly clean, if the dealer changed the oil. If it looks cloudy, dirty or dark brown then there is no telling. In that case I would change it right away and not take any chances.

Last edited by jcg0324; 06-24-23 at 04:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (06-19-23)
Old 09-05-23 | 04:49 PM
tomsawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10k Mile Oil Change Interval?

Hi Guys - have a question about the oil change interval. I have an 18 F Sport, L certified, and 4 services were included. Last time I was at the dealer, the advisor indicated this service didn’t include the oil change as the RX oil change interval was every 10K. Is that accurate? Also, do you guys go 10K when changing the oil or do you do it more frequently. My wife pretty much drives the RX, all local driving, so she only puts like 3-5k/year, so at a minimum I’d change the oil at least once a year. Presuming the “normal” mileage a year, do you guys wait 10k or do you change the oil more frequently?

Thanks to all who answer!
Old 09-05-23 | 06:10 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Every 10K miles is the official Lexus recommendation.

Only a fool would follow that. Change it every 5K miles. On youtube.com, search for the Car Care Nut channel. There's a great explanation there.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
jcg0324 (09-05-23), Quantum501 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23 | 08:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,168 Likes on 755 Posts

I'm going to follow what my car manufacturer and oil manufacturer (Mobil) recommends which is 10,000 mi oil changes. They have incentive money-wise to have me change my oil more frequently. If you go out on the web and search synthetic oil interval mileage changes 10,000 miles is the standard.

Last edited by Freds430; 09-06-23 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (09-06-23)
Old 09-07-23 | 12:06 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I'm going to follow what my car manufacturer and oil manufacturer (Mobil) recommends which is 10,000 mi oil changes. They have incentive money-wise to have me change my oil more frequently. If you go out on the web and search synthetic oil interval mileage changes 10,000 miles is the standard.
Yeah, because all engines are the same, turbo, direct injection, don't matter if it's from Ferrari, Ford, Nissan or Porsche, blah blah blah just go 10k regardless. Let's not even get into driving conditions, you do you bro. Let all hope you are as basic and average as Toyota/Mobil paints you to be.

Ohh, remember, never change your transmission fluid unless you tow, and take your car to the dealership every 5k miles because Toyota said so, and it's not out of their self interest.

Last edited by ghost31711; 09-07-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-24-23 | 04:39 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default An Exception to the 10K Mile/12 Month Oil Change Requirement?

I completely understand that fresh motor oil and oil changes are cheap insurance and are absolutely crucial to the life of an engine. I also know that multiple short trips are very bad for an engine since some of the moisture generated by combustion condenses in the oil, and if the engine has not warmed up fully to boil off this water, then the result will be increased engine corrosion. For this reason, Lexus says to change your oil every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Makes perfect sense for those cars driven the usual 10-15K miles per year.

One of my cars was bought new in 2020 and because of COVID-19, and because we tend to use our other car much more frequently, this car has only been driven about 5,000 miles (it’s on a Battery Tender until we need it). But, importantly, I know that when we do take it out, that we drive 20 or more miles until the oil is completely warmed up. I’ve long known from my Vette which had an oil temperature gauge, that the oil takes far more time to get to temperature than the coolant.

So, my argument is that, ignoring warranty concerns, that waiting a bit longer than 12 months does not do the engine any harm under these driving conditions. I am certainly not suggesting delaying the oil change until 10K, but it seems to me that changing say every 24 months or so under these circumstances would not harm the engine.

Interested in everyone’s thought on the subject.

Old 09-24-23 | 11:36 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I completely understand that fresh motor oil and oil changes are cheap insurance and are absolutely crucial to the life of an engine. I also know that multiple short trips are very bad for an engine since some of the moisture generated by combustion condenses in the oil, and if the engine has not warmed up fully to boil off this water, then the result will be increased engine corrosion. For this reason, Lexus says to change your oil every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Makes perfect sense for those cars driven the usual 10-15K miles per year.

One of my cars was bought new in 2020 and because of COVID-19, and because we tend to use our other car much more frequently, this car has only been driven about 5,000 miles (it’s on a Battery Tender until we need it). But, importantly, I know that when we do take it out, that we drive 20 or more miles until the oil is completely warmed up. I’ve long known from my Vette which had an oil temperature gauge, that the oil takes far more time to get to temperature than the coolant.

So, my argument is that, ignoring warranty concerns, that waiting a bit longer than 12 months does not do the engine any harm under these driving conditions. I am certainly not suggesting delaying the oil change until 10K, but it seems to me that changing say every 24 months or so under these circumstances would not harm the engine.

Interested in everyone’s thought on the subject.
If you use a high quality oil it makes logical sense and I think it should be fine, a lot of folks on bitog do similar. Also considering the 2gr takes a relatively higher oil capacity and assuming you picked at least a decent full synthetic oil.

But since you don't drive that much it isn't going to matter either way.
At 5k miles a year, the rest of the car will require maintenance and repair before you get engine oil related issues anyway.
​​​​
Say your usage and maintenance pattern causes the engine to only goes to 200k miles, that sounds bad for a toyota, but due to such low usage, that's 40years and past it's practical lifespan. Gasoline will be $40 a gallon and majority of people will be in evs operating at a fraction of that price then.

Should the car return to more active usage return back to the normal service schedule.
​​​​​​

​​​​

Last edited by raytseng; 09-25-23 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil changes maintenance Schedule