RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil changes maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 03:41 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I completely understand that fresh motor oil and oil changes are cheap insurance and are absolutely crucial to the life of an engine. I also know that multiple short trips are very bad for an engine since some of the moisture generated by combustion condenses in the oil, and if the engine has not warmed up fully to boil off this water, then the result will be increased engine corrosion. For this reason, Lexus says to change your oil every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Makes perfect sense for those cars driven the usual 10-15K miles per year.

One of my cars was bought new in 2020 and because of COVID-19, and because we tend to use our other car much more frequently, this car has only been driven about 5,000 miles (it’s on a Battery Tender until we need it). But, importantly, I know that when we do take it out, that we drive 20 or more miles until the oil is completely warmed up. I’ve long known from my Vette which had an oil temperature gauge, that the oil takes far more time to get to temperature than the coolant.

So, my argument is that, ignoring warranty concerns, that waiting a bit longer than 12 months does not do the engine any harm under these driving conditions. I am certainly not suggesting delaying the oil change until 10K, but it seems to me that changing say every 24 months or so under these circumstances would not harm the engine.

Interested in everyone’s thought on the subject.
To take it a step further, at the end of 24 months and just before you change your oil, send in a sample to Blackstone Laboratories in Ft. Wayne, Indiana for analysis. You might gain some valuable info about your engine. It doesn't cost that much and you can order a free test kit right here:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
The following users liked this post:
sderman (09-30-23)
Old 09-25-23, 10:44 AM
G6612
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil change interval -- ??

I have a 2021 Lexus RX350 that I purchase back in 2021 I had my oil changed at the Lexus dealer and they put a window sticker for the next oil change to be done in 5,000 miles. I ended up going to the local Toyota dealer as closer to my house and had the oil changed and they put a sticker for the next oil change to be at 10,000 miles. So I guess my question is what is everyone doing for their oil change interval? I thought I did read at one point that it is every 10,000 miles and to be honest I did think it was a little strange that the Lexus dealer put 5k for the next one.
Old 09-25-23, 10:56 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by G6612
I have a 2021 Lexus RX350 that I purchase back in 2021 I had my oil changed at the Lexus dealer and they put a window sticker for the next oil change to be done in 5,000 miles. I ended up going to the local Toyota dealer as closer to my house and had the oil changed and they put a sticker for the next oil change to be at 10,000 miles. So I guess my question is what is everyone doing for their oil change interval? I thought I did read at one point that it is every 10,000 miles and to be honest I did think it was a little strange that the Lexus dealer put 5k for the next one.
You think it's strange that the Lexus dealer wants to make more money?
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (09-25-23)
Old 09-25-23, 11:57 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by G6612
Maybe Lexus used Conventional oil and Toyota used Synthetic oil ?

Or maybe Ravenuer is right...it's all about the money!

Last edited by FastFord; 09-25-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-25-23, 12:18 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 186 Posts

G6612 asked "So I guess my question is what is everyone doing for their oil change interval?"

Read through the posts in this thread and your question will be answered.
Old 09-25-23, 02:19 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Maybe Lexus used Conventional oil and Toyota used Synthetic oil ?

Or maybe Ravenuer is right...it's all about the money!
My Lexus used synthetic. Pretty sure they all do.
Old 09-30-23, 07:33 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jcg0324
To take it a step further, at the end of 24 months and just before you change your oil, send in a sample to Blackstone Laboratories in Ft. Wayne, Indiana for analysis. You might gain some valuable info about your engine. It doesn't cost that much and you can order a free test kit right here:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Good idea. Anyone know of an easy way to remove a small oil sample from the engine without having to completely drain the oil from the oil pan? I know there are various apparatus for sucking up the oil through the oil dipstick tube but wondering if there are more simpler sampling devices.
Old 09-30-23, 08:20 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Good idea. Anyone know of an easy way to remove a small oil sample from the engine without having to completely drain the oil from the oil pan? I know there are various apparatus for sucking up the oil through the oil dipstick tube but wondering if there are more simpler sampling devices.
If you're going to be doing it after 24 months then it's likely you'll be changing the oil anyway, so just send off some of the old oil you've drained. Other than that it's pretty easy to stick a piece of plastic tubing down the dipstiick hole and suck out some oil.

If it's of any interest, prior to me buying it, it transipred that my car missed a couple of oil changes during covid. Mileage between the last two changes seemed to be about 30k. I was somewhat annoyed at the supplying dealer not noticing this, as it wasn't easily apparent from the service records/receipts. Anyway, I got the old oil tested, as well as samples at the next two oil changes, and they all came back fine, and the car's still running like new.

I get why people get all caught up in 5k/6 month oil changes, especially if it's inexpensive, but there are probably worse things you can do in terms of maintenance than just sticking to the 10k/annual manufacturer recommendation.
The following 2 users liked this post by BillUK:
coolbrazz (10-02-23), jcg0324 (09-30-23)
Old 10-01-23, 11:17 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

You really, really, really should change it after that long, regardless of mileage. You can find an expert mechanic on the Car Care Nut's youtube channel who recommends changing every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, and he's a Toyota/Lexus expert mechanic.

To answer your question, yes, if you will remove the oil filter cover and carefully remove the filter itself, then with a syringe you could remove a sample of oil, and put the filter back in. This is NOT a recommended way to get a sample, however. When changing oil from a warmed-up engine, removed the drain plug and let the flow begin, then use a container like a clean tin can, clean plastic bottle with the top cut off, etc. to catch a few ounces of the oil in mid-drain. That's your best sample -- not the first oil out, not the last oil out, but the oil in the middle of the drain.

Blackstone labs will provide you a nice report, with analysis, via email if you provide that information with your sample.
Old 10-01-23, 12:06 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by dibl
You really, really, really should change it after that long, regardless of mileage. You can find an expert mechanic on the Car Care Nut's youtube channel who recommends changing every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, and he's a Toyota/Lexus expert mechanic.

To answer your question, yes, if you will remove the oil filter cover and carefully remove the filter itself, then with a syringe you could remove a sample of oil, and put the filter back in. This is NOT a recommended way to get a sample, however. When changing oil from a warmed-up engine, removed the drain plug and let the flow begin, then use a container like a clean tin can, clean plastic bottle with the top cut off, etc. to catch a few ounces of the oil in mid-drain. That's your best sample -- not the first oil out, not the last oil out, but the oil in the middle of the drain.

Blackstone labs will provide you a nice report, with analysis, via email if you provide that information with your sample.
Thanks for you input. I know you know that it is not surprising that Lexus/Toyota mechanics recommends 5K/6 mo. oil changes. They would recommend 500 mi/6 week oil changes if they thought we would believe them. My particular situation where the car is very rarely driven, and when it is driven, it is driven until it is fully warmed up, is analogous to having a car with fresh oil sitting without being driven at all. I don't think any of us would change the oil every 12 months. I maintain, that it is unnecessary to drain and refill my oil after only 12 months of my extremely light use. I understand the oil change mantra (and will not wait until 24 months to change my oil), but I'd like someone to explain to me technically why nearly clean oil should still be changed every year.
Old 10-01-23, 03:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for you input. I know you know that it is not surprising that Lexus/Toyota mechanics recommends 5K/6 mo. oil changes. They would recommend 500 mi/6 week oil changes if they thought we would believe them. My particular situation where the car is very rarely driven, and when it is driven, it is driven until it is fully warmed up, is analogous to having a car with fresh oil sitting without being driven at all. I don't think any of us would change the oil every 12 months. I maintain, that it is unnecessary to drain and refill my oil after only 12 months of my extremely light use. I understand the oil change mantra (and will not wait until 24 months to change my oil), but I'd like someone to explain to me technically why nearly clean oil should still be changed every year.
Not saying you are doing anything that's going to make a difference if you change at 24mo, but just to point out the other sides theory
The main idea is because motor oil is not in a sealed system, so it's exposed to combustion gases including water vapor. It never "clean" anymore once it enters service. All the additives in the oil go to work and don't pause just because the car is off. So the one year is a time based limit.
​​​​The analogy is like opening food. Clock starts ticking once you open a jar or can or bag and your chips going to go stale whether you eat them or not.

Last edited by raytseng; 10-01-23 at 04:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by raytseng:
bamalam (10-02-23), coolbrazz (10-02-23), dibl (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23, 06:09 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

"Contamination" is the term of art. Water vapor is the main culprit. It's in the air, hot and cold, and it gets into the engine as well as everywhere else.
Old 10-02-23, 03:58 AM
lexus13dan
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My indy uses synthetic blend 0 20 Is that ok?
Old 10-02-23, 06:06 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus13dan
My indy uses synthetic blend 0 20 Is that ok?
100% full synthetic oil is highly reconmmended.
Old 10-02-23, 06:39 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by autotech13
100% full synthetic oil is highly reconmmended.
I don't think there are any truly, technically, 100% synthetic oils out there. From what I understand, the base stocks of all current "100%" synthetic oils are ultimately derived from petroleum. Goes back to that old Mobil 1 vs. Castrol litigation.

Quick Reply: Oil changes maintenance Schedule