RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil changes maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-24 | 02:08 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Misteracng
... Oil analysis can help you see about wear and oil life, but it cannot tell you whats going on with the oil rings....
Apparently, Blackstone Labs believes otherwise. Here's the summary narrative on a test I had done on a sample from my 2018 at the end of July. I drive multiple short trips with less that full warmup every day, so severe service on the oil. I use AMSOIL and change every 5K.

The following 3 users liked this post by dibl:
bamalam (08-17-24), jcg0324 (08-18-24), ravenuer (08-17-24)
Old 08-17-24 | 08:22 PM
Misteracng
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Apparently, Blackstone Labs believes otherwise. Here's the summary narrative on a test I had done on a sample from my 2018 at the end of July. I drive multiple short trips with less that full warmup every day, so severe service on the oil. I use AMSOIL and change every 5K.

Oil analysis might not show ring wear, but thats not really the issue. The rings may not wear, but when the rings get clogged with sludge they lock into place and score the cylinder and prevent oil scavenging thus causing oil consumption. You're using good oil and a short interval for your sever service which is best thing you can do. Also seems your Amsoil could go a longer based on the analysis.
Old 08-18-24 | 08:21 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx350driver
Look up 10k mile oci on tiktok and you will see sludge monsters. Cold weather and short trips is a certified disaster at 10k. By the way, I use max-life full synthetic, not a cheap oil.
Are you kidding? I would NOT listen to or trust tiktok!
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-18-24)
Old 08-18-24 | 08:25 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl

I've been using Amsoil for over 35 years, and changing my oil every 10k, sometimes at 9k. Never ever had a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by autotech13:
GSFRX350 (08-18-24), ravenuer (08-18-24)
Old 08-18-24 | 10:49 AM
GoBose
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

OEM's and their Customer Base:

This forum is primarily for the "Buy and Hold" customer segment.

For obvious reasons this is NOT a focus of Toy/Lex.

Their #1 segment is the 3 year, lease owner.

Buy & Hold vs Lease.

Very different segments.

Toyota caters to the Lease owner who doesn't want much maintenance costs.

Therefore, to remain competitive, they state a 10K oil change interval. (lower maintenance costs)

At 60K, with 10K oil changes, no immediate effects will be seen.

But added wear vs a 5K or 3K change is occurring. Simple physics.

10K is a marketing driven idea.

NIssan GT-R, Lead engine - engineer, states: 2K oil changes.

People stating: "I follow the OEM's recommendation" are missing these considerations.

If you LEASE, 100%, go with a 10K change. (You don't care.)

If you OWN, be wise and follow a 2K - 5k interval.

SoCalRX (08-20-24)
Old 08-18-24 | 12:13 PM
Rx350driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
Are you kidding? I would NOT listen to or trust tiktok!
The videos are from auto shops with mechanics, they pull the valve cover and it's a disaster. I'm not messing around with a 10k dollar motor over a 60 dollar oil change, lol.
Old 08-18-24 | 12:17 PM
Rx350driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All the future toyota's on the used market will have compromised engines, since most people drive in the city and 10k mile oci is a disaster under these conditions. I thank God my used 2016 rx350 with 100k miles, had 5k mile oci's.
Old 08-20-24 | 01:35 PM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by Rx350driver
All the future toyota's on the used market will have compromised engines, since most people drive in the city and 10k mile oci is a disaster under these conditions. I thank God my used 2016 rx350 with 100k miles, had 5k mile oci's.
Yep, but the Lease Car owner is happy.

(Lower maintenance costs.)

And that's Lexus' #1 Customer segment.

They're not keeping the thing so what do they care.

The following 2 users liked this post by GoBose:
lobuxracer (08-20-24), SoCalRX (08-20-24)
Old 08-21-24 | 04:30 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBose

10K is a marketing driven idea.
Totally agree. So are:

- "Lifetime" transmission fluid (i.e. lifetime of the warranty, not the transmission)
- VVT-iW -- "It Runs On Regular!" (because we're lowering the compression on the fly)

It's a brilliant and sad scheme -- build great cars and engines, then sell them on how cheap they are to operate and (not) maintain.

Last edited by dibl; 08-21-24 at 06:15 AM.
autotech13 (08-21-24)
Old 08-21-24 | 07:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Senior Moderator

Received 4,084 Likes on 2,475 Posts

It's not marketing. It's the EPA. This quote from a Corvette Forum is exactly on point:
Originally Posted by Blindspot@corvetteforum.com from 2017
No Bobby. It is part of a much bigger plan by the EPA and its European counterparts to pressure car manufacturers to change the intervals of fluid changes in the modern automobile. Think of all the millions of gallons of various fluids that routinely get dumped simply because of maintenance intervals.

5 yr coolant now instead of the old 2 yr
Diff cases with lifetime fills now instead of every 30K miles
and transmissions with lifetime fills now instead of every 24K to 30K intervals.

For the manufacturers, it is easier to build a "sealed for life" unit to satisfy the EPA and not give the average user the opportunity to even "probe" the fluid with a dipstick. The dipstick alone defies the definition of "sealed for life". By "sealing" it, supposedly, the average owner is being "retrained" into viewing lifetime fills for certain components.

In Europe, ZF transmissions used in numerous high end cars are now all sealed for life, and ZF requires ZF Lifeguard 5, 6 or 8 fluid only if a trans needs to be opened. They do not market or sell the trans fluid in quart containers and the replacement fluid is priced $60/quart. All this to discourage the aftermarket intrusion/servicing on their transmissions. It's basically - leave it alone until/unless it fails. In my wife's Jaguar, if the "lifetime filled" ZF trans fails, Jaguar just pulls it and replaces it up to the warranty. After that, same thing, only now I pay for it. It is just an R&R unit, no unit repairs, no fluid changes...ever....

Eventually, only us dinosaurs will still be trying to change fluids, then we'll all be gone.....and the EPA is patient and willing to wait us out! Look at the recommendation in post #3...see, it's already working....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-change.html
Old 08-21-24 | 09:00 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's not marketing. It's the EPA. This quote from a Corvette Forum is exactly on point:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-change.html
I hope that the EPA pays for my new transmission when the time comes. Toyota refused me the last time, and pretty sure that the EPA will also say no.

I will continue to do my oil at 5k, and my transmission drain and fill at 60k.
The following 5 users liked this post by Quantum501:
autotech13 (08-22-24), bamalam (08-22-24), jcg0324 (08-21-24), Rx350driver (08-21-24), SoCalRX (08-21-24)
Old 08-22-24 | 12:46 PM
GoBose
Driver

[QUOTE=lobuxracer;11775521]It's not marketing. It's the EPA. This quote from a Corvette Forum is exactly on point:

I'm not aware of the EPA mandating fluid change intervals.

EPA focuses on emissions and fuel economy.

Lease Customers are driving the extended fluid changes,

Old 08-22-24 | 03:35 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 186 Posts

[QUOTE=GoBose;11776340]

It does not say anywhere that the EPA is mandating fluid change intervals.
Old 08-22-24 | 04:25 PM
tempdownload
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GoBose

@GoBose

My apologies for jumping into your discussion

I have one question for you GoBose. I currently change my oil every 5K, but I have a 4 cylinder Turbo with about 250 hp & torque. When changing my oil last, the person that taught me how to change my oil and always told me to change my oil every 5K - said that he thought the oil looked really dirty and was a little concerned. However I didn't go pass the 5K interval!

I am interested in buying a 4th generation RX hybrid with 308 hp and about 250 torque, but it will weigh almost 5000 lbs (I read your previous posts where you seem to mention these specs as important). How often do you suggest i change the oil for that RX hybrid if I plan to own it for a long time?

Thanks
Old 08-22-24 | 06:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Senior Moderator

Received 4,084 Likes on 2,475 Posts

[QUOTE=GoBose;11776340]

You are not looking at the whole picture. The EPA is making it expensive for the manufacturers to have specified replacement schedules. Have you not noticed all the changes in maintenance intervals since the 1970's when I built engines with ignition points, distributors, carburetors with throttle plate shafts that wore out their zinc castings in short order, sparkplugs intended to last less than 10k miles, etc., etc.,. The EPA requires waste streams for all the fluids used in industry, so a manufacturer has great incentive to call ANY fluid a lifetime fill and avoid the hassle of dealing with the EPA for waste streams. Waste streams for engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, and brake fluid all exist because you can't just dump this stuff in your yard the way Popular Mechanics told us to do in the 1960s (when road draft tubes were common, and PCV was only used in racing applications). The EPA is responsible for many of these changes because they created regulations requiring viable waste streams, requiring emissions control equipment to last 80,000 miles or 8 years without any routine maintenance. That's how we got platinum and iridium sparkplugs. It's also how we got extended oil drain intervals - the same people who made the rules for emissions made the rules for waste streams with a goal of reducing or eliminating as many maintenance fluids as possible.

Quick Reply: Oil changes maintenance Schedule