RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New car smell - for how long?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 01:00 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brxsilva
You might want to try PURGGO. Unfortunately it is out of stock on Amazon. I bought 2, one for my wife and the other for my son's car. Works well. Tried it because of the reviews.
I plan on getting another for my RX when the new car scent is gone. Hopeully by then, this will be back in stock.
Good luck to you. <br >
It is true that activated charcoal can adsorb (not absorb) odors - it is how the charcoal based cabin filters work. But charcoal does not necessarily adsorb every volatile gas that results from the outgassing of the car materials. It will adsorb some much better than others. Really the best way to more quickly lower the odors and other gases - as others have suggested - is to leave the windows open if possible when the car is parked, especially on a warm day. It might also help to run a small fan on the floor alternating between the front and rear seating areas to circulate the air since some gases might be heavier than air.
Old 07-04-16, 08:45 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Been using the Purggo and I cannot tell if it is working or not. I have it hanging off the driver's headrest.
The following users liked this post:
Koo (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 09:44 AM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sderman
Hydrogen, I may be wrong but your 12 negative posts about smells, excessive noise, vibrations and hesitations, all made in the first week of June, suggests you might be a BMW dealer trying to tarnish the Lexus image. Sorry if I am mistaken.
I just came back to the forum as I am considering a new GS and was wondering if this was still an issue with Lexus vehicles when I saw my own thread here and your post incorrectly asserting my motivations for posting. My experience with the RX 350 first model year of the redesign was a disaster. It could have mostly been first model year flaws or I got a lemon.

For the record, I am a consumer and have never worked for a dealer. I have personally owned 21 vehicles between my wife and I. A Lexus RX I turned in after less than two months because of said smell, six BMW's, other makes included VW (2), Ford (5), Lincoln (1), Honda (4), Nissan (1) and Dodge (1).
Old 10-24-19, 09:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrogen
I just came back to the forum as I am considering a new GS and was wondering if this was still an issue with Lexus vehicles when I saw my own thread here and your post incorrectly asserting my motivations for posting. My experience with the RX 350 first model year of the redesign was a disaster. It could have mostly been first model year flaws or I got a lemon.

For the record, I am a consumer and have never worked for a dealer. I have personally owned 21 vehicles between my wife and I. A Lexus RX I turned in after less than two months because of said smell, six BMW's, other makes included VW (2), Ford (5), Lincoln (1), Honda (4), Nissan (1) and Dodge (1).
Guessing you had a lemon - can happen with any brand. we have a 17 RX and 19 ES both purchased new and both have been flawless so far. 36K on the RX clock and 14K on the ES clock.