RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration?
Yes, I do have problem
34.41%
No, I don't have problem
65.59%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 12:33 AM
arkviz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound of efficiency

Droning sound You all describe here is just a side product of attempts making fuel efficient cars. I didn't have 20 cars like some of You, but only 7 over past 20 years. They were af various sizes, classes. One thing i realized is continuously changing are revs where engine usually operates. My first 2 cars were petrol small displacement manual compacts and below 2k rpm they both were just stalling. The 3rd was automatic and interesting was at how low revs it could operate, just above 1500. The same 4th and 5th car with automatic.
Problematic became 6th car (BMW 528i 4 cylinder). Gearbox allowed engine to run slightly uphill just below 1000 rpm! With brand new car it was great like driving electric car with no noise. But this changed after some distance passed and car began to shudder at low revs <1500. The same my current car, my first Lexus (GS300h). Under 1500 it is droning, between 2000-3000 it is dead quiet.
Old 04-10-17, 05:50 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

2017 RX450h f-sport, ery slight vibrations when it shift from electric to gas engine but overall, a very nice, smooth and excellent steering acceleration.
Old 04-11-17, 03:56 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by arkviz
Droning sound You all describe here is just a side product of attempts making fuel efficient cars. I didn't have 20 cars like some of You, but only 7 over past 20 years. They were af various sizes, classes. One thing i realized is continuously changing are revs where engine usually operates. My first 2 cars were petrol small displacement manual compacts and below 2k rpm they both were just stalling. The 3rd was automatic and interesting was at how low revs it could operate, just above 1500. The same 4th and 5th car with automatic.
Problematic became 6th car (BMW 528i 4 cylinder). Gearbox allowed engine to run slightly uphill just below 1000 rpm! With brand new car it was great like driving electric car with no noise. But this changed after some distance passed and car began to shudder at low revs <1500. The same my current car, my first Lexus (GS300h). Under 1500 it is droning, between 2000-3000 it is dead quiet.
Totally disagree, my car under zero load in park has a slight vibration and drone at 1500 rpm. Under no load it should be smooth as butter. What ever is causing this is just getting exaggerated by the transmission shifting into high gear to soon causing excess load.
Old 04-11-17, 03:15 PM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys. Recently bought a 2017 RX 350 base and I experience a weird vibration when cruising above 100 km/h along with a mild droning/grinding noise and this only exists when cruising on the highway. There is also vibration when idling or when the vehicle gets in to the higher gears too quickly.

I was at the dealership and pointed them to this but they won't implement it as it is not a Lexus provided solution.

I am am wondering if anyone has implemented the recommended solution in this thread and have had a positive outcome.

Please let me know
Old 04-12-17, 04:11 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qubit
Hi guys. Recently bought a 2017 RX 350 base and I experience a weird vibration when cruising above 100 km/h along with a mild droning/grinding noise and this only exists when cruising on the highway. There is also vibration when idling or when the vehicle gets in to the higher gears too quickly.

I was at the dealership and pointed them to this but they won't implement it as it is not a Lexus provided solution.

I am am wondering if anyone has implemented the recommended solution in this thread and have had a positive outcome.

Please let me know
No solution at this point, Lexus is claiming its normal. I know for a fact that they all don't exhibite this behavior.
My guess is nothing is going to be done, I think this is going to be a redesign of some components. Really stinks
for all the owners who have this issue. First and last Lexus for me and they will never get another penny. I'll only get burnt once from a car manufacturer.

Last edited by tdjacw; 04-12-17 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 06:04 AM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdjacw
No solution at this point, Lexus is claiming its normal. I know for a fact that they all don't exhibite this behavior.
My guess is nothing is going to be done, I think this is going to be a redesign of some components. Really stinks
for all the owners who have this issue. First and last Lexus for me and they will never get another penny. I'll only get burnt once from a car manufacturer.
hey. I am guessing that you tried implementing walt's damper solution.
Old 04-12-17, 07:54 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qubit
hey. I am guessing that you tried implementing walt's damper solution.
Yes I actually have two installed, minor improvement.
I really think they need to redesign some of the exhaust components. Could be just a tolerance thing
on the muffler / resonator. Im no stranger to exhaust drone/vibration as I have had issue when installing
after market exhaust systems when I was into muscle cars.
Old 04-12-17, 11:23 AM
Koogone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2017 RX 350 exhaust drone vibration

Originally Posted by tomtom74
i like to know how many percent of people are having Excessive noise and vibration problem.
I have the same problem with my 2017 350-RX. In the process of filing a complaint with Lexus. This is my forth RX-350. I never had any problem with the others. This vibration should never exist in any car let alone a $50K SUV. I highly recommend NOT buying this car. I will let you know if Lexus corrects this situation.
Old 04-12-17, 12:31 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please keep us updated after your appointment.
Old 04-12-17, 03:55 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So is the problem only on the non hybrid version?
Any more hybrid owners can please let us know of their experience.
Thank You.
Old 04-12-17, 06:50 PM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koogone
I have the same problem with my 2017 350-RX. In the process of filing a complaint with Lexus. This is my forth RX-350. I never had any problem with the others. This vibration should never exist in any car let alone a $50K SUV. I highly recommend NOT buying this car. I will let you know if Lexus corrects this situation.
Totally concur. Regret turning In my silky smooth ES300H for this. Nevertheless, having worked at Toyota I can vouch for their process of 'built in quality' and am hoping that they will address this issue. They just need to kaizen that ride quality. (Wonder how they missed such a blatant problem)
Old 04-13-17, 06:39 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I'm really suprised that all of the major car reviewers are not acknowledging this issue. I wonder if they hand pick the ones that go to the reviewers. I watched many reviews before my purchase and there was no talk of this. If I would have joined this forum first I could have avoided buyers remorse. Who would have thought that with all the new cars I have purchased that
the one time I have buyers remorse would be with a Lexus.
Old 04-13-17, 11:34 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
So is the problem only on the non hybrid version?
Any more hybrid owners can please let us know of their experience.
Thank You.
No issues on the F Sport hybrid. Drove a 2017 RX350 Premium that did have this issue.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (04-14-17)
Old 04-13-17, 11:38 AM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Default Update (after visit to dealer)

So i was at the dealership and a technician test drove with me. He acknowledged that there is vibration and later got to ride in another vehicle - Base model (same as mine). Guess what - it had the vibration too. The dealer is unable to do anything as it is something that Lexus will have to address but they have promised to take this up with Lexus and see if they can look in to it.

Given that Lexus addressed the hesitation problem with a TSB, am sure they will address this too. We just need anyone experiencing these vibrations to report it to Lexus or else we won't get traction on this issue.

As much as i am unhappy about the vibration, happy with the way the dealer and the tech addressed it.
Old 04-17-17, 07:02 PM
TPK
Driver School Candidate

I have noise. I am a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast BUT... I have a RX350 2016 (Sunroof, A/C in seats etc), with Transmission slippage and vibration. I have been back to the Lexus tech three times. Very nice guy. Today he told me that Lexus has finally admitted their seems to be excessive vibrations in the 2016 and 2017 RX models.
They are looking into the situation and will either come up with a solution or say there is nothing wrong.
I would say if they say nothing is wrong we begin a internet campaign to tell people not to buy Lexus. This will cost the company hundreds of millions in sales and damage their brand which up till now is excellent.
I have had my 1999 RX 300 for 17 years with never a problem. , I also owned two toyota trucks and a toyota car. So I am hoping that Lexus/Toyota stand up to this problem before it blows up in their face
ala Volkswagen's problem. It will be a lot cheaper to fix our problem then face a very vocal anti Lexus rabble. I feel ripped off by Lexus and extremely disappointed in them.
I had the TSB bulletin to reboot and reflash the memory, changed to Premium gas and drive in Sport mode. Nothing worked and the sound virbation worsened.
PS The sales people say their is no problem, but the Tech dept. told me this morning that Lexus has admitted they are looking into it.
The following users liked this post:
rbclt (04-18-17)

Quick Reply: Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration