RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

About to take the plunge - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 01:49 PM
t4tran
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destro888
How many KM or Miles is acceptable when a new car is picked up? Is there a policy that a new car can be deliver with up to so many KM (mileage)?
My dealership was willing to deliver the car within 100 mile radius. If you buying a F Sport model, expect to have 4-8 miles on the odometers. I got mine at 4 miles on the ODM.

I did alot of research and comparison on SUVs before taking the plunge for the FSPORT RX350 Black on Red.
Although the MDX has a third row option, technology wise I think Acura is a little dated. I own the TL before and the technology seems eh.
I looked into the Porsche Macan S, Audi Q5 and BMW X5. (The X5 is a bit more when its fully loaded). In terms of design, the Lexus stands out among these vehicles. In term of toughness, the X5 looks more meaty. (always attracted to the strong body frame). The Macan was out of the picture because its Porsche new model and options & feature were not great (unless you want the GTS version) The Audi Q5 seems to be stuck in design dating back to the 2010s. I don't see much design differences from all their models. Although their satellite map is pretty neat!

While Lexus technology is behind on their German brand (I use to own the 2012 E Class Coupe and it had 90% of the technology the RX has now), its a lot easier to use.
Old 06-14-16, 02:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The MDX was a SUV I always wanted before I could afford it. I still remember the day I bought it, felt like a dream come true. I have driven it for six years and what made me appreciate it most was for it's solid ride. Smooth on turns, comfortable on long drives, easy city driving, and never felt like I could lose control on snow. Simply felt safe to drive no matter what condition. But like all vehicles, wear and tear comes with age and maintenance cost dig deep into pockets.

The past two months I looked at both MDX and RX350. For all the right reasons I mentioned, you probably wonder why I would switch to the RX350. I want a change. Unfortunately the MDX design did not change enough for me to stay committed. Now I can only hope that my experience with the RX350 will be just as great as the MDX or better.
If your coming from an MDX, the RX will be a huge step up in quality. Infotainment wise you`ll be at home at the back of the tech line, but at least everything works (complacent but hey the MDX has a horribly laggy touchscreen). The Remote Touch is hard to get use too, and the tech is just plain lame duck attempt at copying the germans but in the Lexus way. Again for some it works, for some it doesnt. Just do an extended demo to make sure its your cup of tea
Old 06-15-16, 05:54 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If your coming from an MDX, the RX will be a huge step up in quality. Infotainment wise you`ll be at home at the back of the tech line, but at least everything works (complacent but hey the MDX has a horribly laggy touchscreen). The Remote Touch is hard to get use too, and the tech is just plain lame duck attempt at copying the germans but in the Lexus way. Again for some it works, for some it doesnt. Just do an extended demo to make sure its your cup of tea
I agree..

A year and a half ago, after having a bad experience with 2011 ML350, and then a slightly better, but not great 2012 ML350 we took a 2015 MDX SH-AWD on an extended test drive, and I was left unimpressed. I had owned a 2004 and 2009 MDX and wile they weren't as refined as the 2015 IMO they felt more solid and were overall great vehicles..

The 2015 MDX we test drove had under 600 miles on it, the power delivery in sport mode was good, better than the RX, and the infotainment did have a slight lag but to be honest it didn't bother me. The dual touch screens would have eventually driven me crazy because of fingerprints, but this certainly wouldn't have been a deal breaker

However, there were several creaks coming from the interior, one noise was coming from the top passenger side of the dash that my wife noticed, which was telling since she usually doesn't notice things like this. There was also a very annoying wind noise coming from the drivers side door at around 45 mph and when turning I noticed a scratching sound coming from the steering column. When I did some research on acurazine at the time MDX owners were also experiencing similar issues.

Took the RX for a test drive and immediately noticed how much more refined it was and the interior materials just felt so much better. We put a deposit on it the next day, and the rest is history..So I can only imagine how much more refined the 4RX would feel.

Last edited by JT4; 06-16-16 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 07:53 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

The MDX was a SUV I always wanted before I could afford it. I still remember the day I bought it, felt like a dream come true. I have driven it for six years and what made me appreciate it most was for it's solid ride. Smooth on turns, comfortable on long drives, easy city driving, and never felt like I could lose control on snow. Simply felt safe to drive no matter what condition. But like all vehicles, wear and tear comes with age and maintenance cost dig deep into pockets.

The past two months I looked at both MDX and RX350. For all the right reasons I mentioned, you probably wonder why I would switch to the RX350. I want a change. Unfortunately the MDX design did not change enough for me to stay committed. Now I can only hope that my experience with the RX350 will be just as great as the MDX or better.
Did not mean to hijack thread, but thanks for comments. I am on the MDX forum and the third gen (2014+) is not impressive to me (there are many 3rd gen owners that want their 2nd gen MDX back) so I am going to get something else (and after 3 MDXs, I want a change as well). I have had 3rd gen Rx as loaner and ride & interior feel was more refined than my MDX, but the 16 RX just did not knock me out like I thought it would (maybe expectations were too high). Hope the luxury trim will.

I like my wife's 300h so sometimes I think about getting an ES350 UL and keeping the 11 MDX for the times we need a larger vehicle.

Last edited by wasjr; 06-15-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 08:16 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: Dealership called yesterday and said pick up as soon as Thursday (that's tomorrow). They have the vehicle there now but I guess it goes through PDI.

Does anyone think there's value in the Rust Protection Plan and/or the Lexus Maintenance Care Package?

Rust Protection Plan from memory was explained to me that the underside of the car is coated with tar and instead of using oils they use wax. Lexus does not recommend oils that other third party company use. Your thoughts?

Lexus Maintenance Package from memory includes. Tire Protection up to 50,000km. Covers 6 schedule maintenance, I think an extended comprehensive warranty, and road side assistance. Your thoughts?

The vehicle already comes with warranty and being stated as reliable, why would I need these extended warranties??

To recap what's published on Lexus's website:
Coverage Details

Comprehensive Coverage
Repairs on any original Lexus part of the vehicle that is defective in material or in workmanship under normal use.
48 months/80,000 km, whichever comes first.

Powertrain & Safety Restraints
72 months/110,000 km, whichever comes first.

Corrosion Perforation
Any body sheet metal found, under normal use, to have developed a perforation (hole through the body panel) from corrosion due to defects in material or workmanship.
72 months, regardless of distance traveled.

Emission Control Components
48 months/80,000 km, whichever comes first.

Major emission control components
96 months/130,000 km

Major emission component performance warranty
24 months/40,000 km

Adjustments
Service adjustments found to be out of alignment from factory specification (not usually associated with the replacement of parts)
Usually 12 months/32,000 km, but see Dealership for details.

Hybrid-related components
Applies to the battery control module, hybrid vehicle control module, Hybrid High Voltage battery and the inverter/converter.
96 months/160,000 km

Alternate Transportation
For certain warrantable repairs that require your Lexus vehicle to be out of service for an extended period of time, Lexus will provide alternate transportation.

Original Equipment Tire Warranty
Warranted by the Tire Manufacturer.

Last edited by destro888; 06-15-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 10:18 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

I only took an additional tire/wheel package, which since I've had 2 blowouts & 1 nail repair, has already paid for itself. See what 6 maintenance visits would cost you, compared to the package the dealership offers to see if it is worth the cost. When it comes to extra coverage, there are lots of variables to take into account.
Old 07-20-16, 08:59 AM
mikli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Vancouver, with the updated Jan 2015, ECP platinum program only include 3 years maintaince service program for vehicles with 12m/16km oil service schedule and wheels/tires coverage. 48m/100km for cad1820; which is cheaper than I would pay at the service department three times. Not sure if I should upgrade to the 60m or 72m which basically extend the comprenhensive coverage and roadside assistance only for +$335 (5 yrs) or +$1010 (6 yrs).
I will be picking up my 4RX 450h F sport at month end. So, I'm still thinking? Most likely just the 48 month plan since this is after all a Lexus.