RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX350 transmission and suspension over previous gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 07:35 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 RX350 transmission and suspension over previous gen

All,

I just dropped my ct200h for 30k maint and was given a loaner RX350.

WOW - the interior is a big upgrade from any lexus i sat in so far (never been in the LX or LS), however the ride is very floaty and it seems like the transmission is way to eager to shift.

Is there a big change from the Gen2 to Gen3 RX for transmission and suspension? cause i did test drive the Gen2 RX F sport and it did not feel the same (interior is obviously way way better that Gen2)
Old 06-29-16, 11:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
All,

I just dropped my ct200h for 30k maint and was given a loaner RX350.

WOW - the interior is a big upgrade from any lexus i sat in so far (never been in the LX or LS), however the ride is very floaty and it seems like the transmission is way to eager to shift.

Is there a big change from the Gen2 to Gen3 RX for transmission and suspension? cause i did test drive the Gen2 RX F sport and it did not feel the same (interior is obviously way way better that Gen2)
Floaty boat is trademark Lexus. Its not a new thing. You can get a little bit of relief by opting for an F sport, but dont expect it to become a canyon carver or get off ramp creds (if that your definition of sporty).

The Transmission depends on who you ask. The 8 speed was standard kit (and by numerous accounts hunting for top gear same as this new asin unit) on the last gen 3rd RX F sport only, while everyone else minus the hybrid got the good ole 6. Now everyone except the hybrid in this 4th gen gets the eco friendly 8 speed. I think if you need a good transmission which does not hunt, test out the Hybrid, wait till 17 models to see if they reprogram the shift points, or look for the smooth 8 speed RWD model by ZF (x5 has it) or any 6 speed on a Lexus (the NX i believe still uses it)
Old 06-30-16, 09:29 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The Transmission depends on who you ask. The 8 speed was standard kit (and by numerous accounts hunting for top gear same as this new asin unit) on the last gen 3rd RX F sport only, while everyone else minus the hybrid got the good ole 6. Now everyone except the hybrid in this 4th gen gets the eco friendly 8 speed. I think if you need a good transmission which does not hunt, test out the Hybrid, wait till 17 models to see if they reprogram the shift points, or look for the smooth 8 speed RWD model by ZF (x5 has it) or any 6 speed on a Lexus (the NX i believe still uses it)
In my opinion, coolsaber offers some really good advise here. (I am an owner of an 8-speed RX350). For any prospective RX buyer I would recommend that they thoroughly evaluate how they like the 8-speed transmission and how its programmed. Many will find it a non issue while others, who perhaps are more sensitive to mechanical devices, may find it lacking and unsatisfying. In normal everyday driving, the transmission will upshift very early leaving one with little subsequent torque in the next higher gear. Just doesn't feel right. Fortunately, there are workarounds available such as using the Sport mode or using the S (manual) mode but these options introduce their own idiosyncracies. For example, Sport mode has a touchy throttle response. S (manual) mode means you'll be doing a lot of shifting. In summary, this transmission programming is, imho, the weakest link by far in an otherwise beautiful SUV.
Old 07-01-16, 06:45 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys for your response, i am transitioning to being a Lexus owner after many years of BMW

I replaced my 325xi wagon with CT200h F sport (very happy with it) and in future will be replacing my x5 4.8 with some other Lexus model, I was given the RX as a loaner which surprised me as I was expecting a CT or IS (which is good), the transmission in RX did really put me off from what otherwise is a nice vehicle (not planning on buying one soon , so no rush).

When I do buy i will be looking at CPO Lexus and looks like either CVT (impressed by the smoothness of CVT in the CT) or a 6 speed should be the way to go for now.
Old 07-01-16, 08:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
thanks guys for your response, i am transitioning to being a Lexus owner after many years of BMW

I replaced my 325xi wagon with CT200h F sport (very happy with it) and in future will be replacing my x5 4.8 with some other Lexus model, I was given the RX as a loaner which surprised me as I was expecting a CT or IS (which is good), the transmission in RX did really put me off from what otherwise is a nice vehicle (not planning on buying one soon , so no rush).

When I do buy i will be looking at CPO Lexus and looks like either CVT (impressed by the smoothness of CVT in the CT) or a 6 speed should be the way to go for now.
Yup wait it out if you can since the first CPOs are scheduled to hit the lots in the next 6 months or so.
Old 07-01-16, 11:19 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Or drive the 8 speed in sport.
Gas mileage difference is negligible and the shifts are much smoother.
the only issue with this is you can't set it up as your start up mode. You have to remember to pick it.
It has become second nature to me by now.
Old 07-03-16, 03:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Make sure to test drive the F Sport model in M-mode and in Sport S+ for the firmest, sportiest experience. Use the paddle shifters as well. Coming from years of BMW ownership, you will appreciate this the most.
Old 07-04-16, 08:01 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jbny;9539096 , I was given the RX as a loaner which surprised me as I was expecting a CT or IS (which is good),.[/QUOTE]

I was told they don't give out CT loaners anymore. Not sure why - may be because they don't want to build inventory since its being discontinued after 2017.