RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Sequential tail lights installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 06:49 AM
JT450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sequential blinkers

I have a 2016 RX 350, how do you activate the sequential turning signals?
Old 08-19-17, 07:08 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

If you have them they would just work. I thought I was getting them and it didn't come with them. There was some sort of regulation about them that prevented them from being installed. Although I believe that some countries they come like that...not positive
Old 08-19-17, 07:23 AM
JT450H
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the update
Old 09-18-17, 03:49 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

bravo bravo, u did well, very very nice indeed, how much did honey cost you?
Old 09-24-17, 03:35 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wiring Harbess?

Originally Posted by LexusRX16
You can buy from Ebay just look into wire harness the regular one has black tubing around, the one with LED should has blue tubing wrap around
Do you need this different wiring harness for the sequential tail lights to work? If so is there one for the BUL and one for the RCL?
Are they different due to the LEDs or the way they sequence or since US version doesn't even have the bottom lights on our BULs? If you need a different wiring harness do you have or know what the part number is? Thanks for any info in advance.

E

Last edited by Emaniat; 09-24-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-24-17, 11:59 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Do you need to replace the wiring harnesses with jdm ones or can you use your existing harness (i.e. plug and play)? The reason why I ask is from pictures I've seen the harnesses look similar, yet a little different. The US spec RCLs have a standard bulb in the turn signal, which look different from the led turn signals. Then I would think that the BUL would have additional LED lighting for the sequential lights below the backup light. If it is a different harness does anyone have the part numbers for the different harnesses? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-26-17, 06:14 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Ok. From what I can see on the inner light wiring harness pictures. The U.S. spec lights only have 3 or 4 small wires going in to the connector to the light (not the backup light which is a bulb on both versions). This harness is the black harness. The rest of the world spec lights that are sequential have the blue harness with 6 or 7 wires going into the connector for the sequencing. So to maybe answer my own question. It looks like you probably also need the wiring harness to go along with the lights in order to get them to work. I would also think that there would be a different harness for the outer side marker lights too since the US base version has an incandescent light bulb/socket while the other countries and the Premium US have the LEDs.
Old 10-01-17, 11:02 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Plug - N - Play? Sort of... Technically everything looks like its plug and play in that so far from what I've seen you probably don't have to splice wires, but there are different wiring harnesses involved and I'm trying to figure out which harnesses are needed.

For the sequencing lights on the BUL unit you do need a different harness. The North American (US) spec harness has a socket for the backup light and a small connector probably for the dual red ribbon lights below the backup light (3 wires). The world market harness also has the socket for the backup light, but the connector for the dual red ribbons lights and the sequencing turn signal lights is Extremely wide at 6-8 wires. I'm still trying to confirm the harness.

The side quarter panel lights (RCL) can be two different styles. If you have the premium light package that already comes with the LED turn signal your wiring harness is ok, if you have the base lights your rear turn signal will have a standard incandescent bulb. The harness for this type of light I don't think will work with the led upgrade since the base light has a socket for the turn signal bulb and a small wire connector the the dual red LED light strips. The upgraded LED turn signal assembly has a different harness with no socket and only a single connector since it is all LED.

If anyone knows the part numbers to confirm this, I would greatly appreciate it. Part numbers for the US are different for the JPP / World market harnesses. It would also be great if I could get confirmation that the speed connector that connects the small harnesses to the main car's harness are compatible.
Old 10-02-17, 06:55 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Plug - N - Play? Sort of... Technically everything looks like its plug and play in that so far from what I've seen you probably don't have to splice wires, but there are different wiring harnesses involved and I'm trying to figure out which harnesses are needed.

For the sequencing lights on the BUL unit you do need a different harness. The North American (US) spec harness has a socket for the backup light and a small connector probably for the dual red ribbon lights below the backup light (3 wires). The world market harness also has the socket for the backup light, but the connector for the dual red ribbons lights and the sequencing turn signal lights is Extremely wide at 6-8 wires. I'm still trying to confirm the harness.

The side quarter panel lights (RCL) can be two different styles. If you have the premium light package that already comes with the LED turn signal your wiring harness is ok, if you have the base lights your rear turn signal will have a standard incandescent bulb. The harness for this type of light I don't think will work with the led upgrade since the base light has a socket for the turn signal bulb and a small wire connector the the dual red LED light strips. The upgraded LED turn signal assembly has a different harness with no socket and only a single connector since it is all LED.

If anyone knows the part numbers to confirm this, I would greatly appreciate it. Part numbers for the US are different for the JPP / World market harnesses. It would also be great if I could get confirmation that the speed connector that connects the small harnesses to the main car's harness are compatible.
Lol. Not sure man.

All I know is, no matter if you have triple LEDs or not, the users that got it done replaced the whole housing with one that had everything built in and got it to work.
Old 10-02-17, 07:45 AM
Emaniat
Driver

I got the 4 jdm spec lights from Japan but they didn't include the small wiring harnesses that plug in to the main harness. I've got part numbers to the harnesses that I think should work, but was looking for confirmation that all connections fit before purchasing.
Old 10-02-17, 11:52 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
I got the 4 jdm spec lights from Japan but they didn't include the small wiring harnesses that plug in to the main harness. I've got part numbers to the harnesses that I think should work, but was looking for confirmation that all connections fit before purchasing.
good luck! Based on a user who did his, he never mentioned any issues when installing. I know he said he got it installed and it took them a while to remove the rear lights, but other than that it works no problem.

Post some pics and stuff if you do do it! I wanted to do it as well but money is still tight.
Old 10-02-17, 03:26 PM
LexusRX16
Driver School Candidate

Here connection wire harness
Attached Thumbnails Sequential tail lights installed!!!-fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg   Sequential tail lights installed!!!-img_1439.jpg  
Old 10-02-17, 04:57 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Yes that is it!!! Did you make this or did it come with the lights? If you got it do you have a part number? Also did the connector on the other side of the harness connect right in?

One other general question to all that have done this. You can just do the rear lights without doing the front ones correct?
Someone I know said you have to do the front ones also for the back ones to work. I said that wasn't my understanding.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-02-17, 05:13 PM
LexusRX16
Driver School Candidate

Emaniat,
This is my brother SUV, I was help him to installed and It's took me 2 day to figure out how to remove the tail light, and I really don't have a change to compare the old one, this harness come with the tail light and we bought from Ebay for total $400.00, and I don't see reason you will have to do with front ones NJP selling only the rear and he said plug and play, after I installed turn it on it's just work just fine, and so far we did not see any problem, my brother love them, it's not sequential but way a lot better at the look that I can tell you, Let me know how to help you
BR
Old 10-02-17, 05:24 PM
Emaniat
Driver

When you turn on the turn signal does the yellow light start inside by the Lexus logo and go out towards the sides of the car?

Quick Reply: Sequential tail lights installed!!!