RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rx350 f sport tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 10:42 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rx350 f sport tires

Another Bridgestone va Michelin debate. I'll be picking up my f sport sometime this week and one of the request I specified to the dealer was having the Michelin tires. They said it wouldn't be a problem switching them over. Fast forward 3.5 months and the Lexus is here but with the Bridgestone. Now the dealer is telling me that they don't have another f sport with the Michelin tires to do the switch.

Now my question is what exactly is the issue with the Bridgestone tire? I just want a smooth quiet tire for at least 7k miles. Would the ecopia give me that?

Also another option would be to wait for let's say a luxury package RX to arrive and do a tire swap only but then it won't be factory balanced and there's a chance that the rims get scratched.

Any recommendations on what most of you would do at this point? Thanks
Old 07-13-16, 12:09 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

lol that is quite a situation.

I took asked the dealer to make sure there were michellin's.

Honestly, you paid an x amount for a car. You want to make sure it's everything you want.

IF you have to wait, wait. Don't worry about the rims scratching, etc. If they don't put it on correctly or damage something, get what you want. Tell them they messed it up and you want a new rim.

You can be like this because it's a brand new car!

I literally got everything I wanted. I asked them to keep the plastic interior protection on and they did. I asked them to make sure they take good care of the car when washing all the gunk off the exterior and they did. I checked in the sun to make sure there were no swirl marks. I asked them to make sure there was not more than 10 miles on the car or I won't accept, there was 8 miles.

You should be treated like a king with that much money you are spending!

I have not had any vibration issues, good handling, good fuel economy, smooth as butter ride with my Michelin's.
Old 07-13-16, 12:27 PM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I picked up my F Sport in June, I too asked dealer about the tires. Unfortunately, all the F Sport in their inventory come with Bridgestone tires, not Michelin's.
Old 07-13-16, 12:38 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what tire is best, but if you have a written promise to provide the tires you want, well, they can buy you a set and put them on. If you don't have it in writing, you can demand a refund on your deposit and walk away unless they get you a set of Michelins. Although you can't be sure any other dealer will give you what you want either. Or you can buy your Michelins (maybe at dealer cost and free install) and put the Bridgestones on Craigslist for ~1/2 - 3/4 the online price at your favorite tire website.

It all depends on the quality of your dealer, their desire to keep your business, whether you make your request in the right way, and how much they made on your deal...

Factory balance doesn't matter.
Old 07-13-16, 12:43 PM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2016 RX450h was special ordered with Luxury, ML, Safety, Head Up etc, and showed up with Bridgestone's so there is no guarantee your dealer will get a car with Michelin's. At first I was disappointed, but soon got over it. I traded an RX450h that came with Dunlop's, and when they wore out I switched to Michelin's. With less than 3000 miles on this car I can not comment on how long they will last, but I am VERY pleased with the ride and silence. Some of the silence may come from improved sound absorbing for 2016, but I give the Bridgestone's 2 thumbs up.
Old 07-13-16, 02:31 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Bridgestone's are a good tire. Nothing to write home about. They are just a bit noisy, and seem to drive more like a sport tire (I can feel the road a bit more). The Michelins I have owned in the past gave me a smoother ride and were more quiet. However, it's not enough to make me want to switch to Michelins right now. I'm going to ride them out (no pun intended), and see how long they last.
Old 07-13-16, 02:52 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

BWSTEG, I insisted on the Michelin tires on my 2016 RX350. It arrived from another dealer with the Bridgestone's and I told my salesman that unless they replace them with the 20 in Michelin Premier LTX that I was going to decline the deal. You may want to read this article as Lexus and Michelin made a big deal about this tire as they are cutting edge technology.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...6+lexus+rx.htm
Old 07-13-16, 05:30 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Thank you all for the replies. I will indeed tell (demand to a point) that they change the tires by any means possible even if that includes buying new tires. I just wasn't sure how I felt about having new rims/tires unmounted and then mounted/balanced. Wouldn't want any vibrations, etc.
Old 07-14-16, 07:51 AM
bwsteg
Driver

I've decided just to keep the ecopia tires.

On the other hand I went to go see the car today and I noticed that the bumpers are a slightly different shade of ultra white then the rest of the car. Anyone with a f sport ultra white also have this issue?
Old 07-14-16, 09:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 506 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsteg
I've decided just to keep the ecopia tires.

On the other hand I went to go see the car today and I noticed that the bumpers are a slightly different shade of ultra white then the rest of the car. Anyone with a f sport ultra white also have this issue?
I am betting they are all the same.
Old 07-14-16, 10:14 AM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PCW
BWSTEG, I insisted on the Michelin tires on my 2016 RX350. It arrived from another dealer with the Bridgestone's and I told my salesman that unless they replace them with the 20 in Michelin Premier LTX that I was going to decline the deal. You may want to read this article as Lexus and Michelin made a big deal about this tire as they are cutting edge technology.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...6+lexus+rx.htm
The Michelins seem like a great tire. I've loved my Michelins in the past. I don't mind driving on the Bridgestone's until I need another set of tires. By that time, more data will be out on the new Michelin Premier LTX. Maybe they will be a bit less in price (but I won't count on that).
Old 07-14-16, 11:06 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ecopia seem just fine with me...it's not a sports car, so low noise and durability is good enough for me.
Old 07-14-16, 02:09 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

When I got mine it had Bridgestones. Dealer switched it with another F-sport...rims/tires.

Looking back I'm glad I insisted they switch them, but today, if the dealer didn't have another rim/tire package to switch I don't think that I would ask to do a tire alone switch. Just not worth the risk.

Plus both tires are good OEM tires. That being said when it comes time to get new tires, I would not buy either.

I have a set of winter rims and tires and will replace the Michelins with a performance summer tire when the time comes. I suspect both will be toast after 30K miles.

I wouldn't let the fact that your RX came in with Bridgestones cancel the deal.
Old 07-14-16, 05:38 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
lol that is quite a situation.

I took asked the dealer to make sure there were michellin's.

Honestly, you paid an x amount for a car. You want to make sure it's everything you want.

If you have to wait, wait. Don't worry about the rims scratching, etc. If they don't put it on correctly or damage something, get what you want. Tell them they messed it up and you want a new rim.

You can be like this because it's a brand new car!

I literally got everything i wanted. I asked them to keep the plastic interior protection on and they did. I asked them to make sure they take good care of the car when washing all the gunk off the exterior and they did. I checked in the sun to make sure there were no swirl marks. I asked them to make sure there was not more than 10 miles on the car or i won't accept, there was 8 miles.

You should be treated like a king with that much money you are spending!

I have not had any vibration issues, good handling, good fuel economy, smooth as butter ride with my michelin's.

bo$$ alert
Old 07-30-16, 07:08 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s4iscool
ecopia seem just fine with me...it's not a sports car, so low noise and durability is good enough for me.
S4,
I have a 2013 F Sport.
The Original tires that Lexus installs on the F Sport only have about 10/32's new.
They are Fuel Economy tires and at 5/32's they are about shot and offer poor wet weather performance.
At 25,000 miles, I pulled them and went to Bridgestone Blizzak's which come with 14/32's new and they were slightly wider.
Good wet weather traction and going in the snow is no problem.
The more aggressive tread design should allow me to get 10/32's of wear on them.
I currently have 45K on the car and the tires have 20K on them and they have 10/32's on them, I expect 40K-50K from them....gm

Quick Reply: Rx350 f sport tires