RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 05:48 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes94GS3
Something has got to be wrong with your ML system, you mentioned the sound quality is poor with zero bass, I’m wondering if the amp is not performing as it should or what speakers are not hooked up. Mine is a 2016 with ML, granted 5 years earlier and first year of 4th generation, but there’s no way I’d describe the sound quality as poor with no bass. It’s very good for a stock factory system IMO. The mid range and treble is clear and crisp, won’t distort even at high volume levels, and music with low end will shake the mirrors when it hits every time. Even the door speakers put out quite a bit of mid bass. Good luck!
Agree, for all my ML systems turning off the Surround Sound produced the biggest change in sound quality to include adding bass (that and pretty much maxing out the treble/bass). Didn't realize the difference until getting the LC and wondering why it had zero bass when the sub was right behind.
The following users liked this post:
Mikes94GS3 (04-29-24)
Old 04-29-24, 07:16 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverMan
Actually, I thought about that yesterday so I plan to reach out to my Lexus dealer that takes care of my car to see what the speaker difference is on a 2024 RX350 vs my 2021. The 2024 sound on the ML is far better and I am hoping some subtle changes to mine will get me close.
Interesting that ML sound quality might vary significantly by vehicle year. For what it's worth, last night we were listening to Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" (through SiriusXM) in our 2017 RX350 with ML. The bass was absolutely terrific, and the sound compared well with what we get from our high-end home system.
Old 04-29-24, 07:54 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sderman
Interesting that ML sound quality might vary significantly by vehicle year. For what it's worth, last night we were listening to Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" (through SiriusXM) in our 2017 RX350 with ML. The bass was absolutely terrific, and the sound compared well with what we get from our high-end home system.
I didn't head down the Audio rabbit hole until purchasing the LC, I just accepted the ML system was subpar. I had given up on the wife's car (RXL with ML system) since she's usually listening to AM radio anyway. Once I got the LC, I was like "this is really supposed to be top quality sound on a 6 figure car?". I was perplexed until reading thru some of the LC forums and the ML adjustments and music type inputs (CD, Streaming, XM, DAX, MP3 etc.). It was a good education, especially about BitRates, Signal to Noise, quality of content (and how it was studio engineered) etc. So I did the same adjustments made on the LC to her RXL, with the biggest difference being turning off the Surround (some fore/aft and left/right adjustment and driving up the treble and bass). Then compared the same recorded material in both (CD's both original and remixed, MP3 high bitrate, bluetooth/direct wired). Obviously there are some cabin size differences, but now I'm happy with the sound. I'm using mostly Pandora now, direct wired (no bluetooth) set at highest quality. Didn't care for the sound differences on XM, to me some stations sounded muddy and others lacking depth. Obviously sound quality per individual is subjective, heck the wife thinks streaming music from her iPhone speaker is good.

Her RXL is currently at the dealership getting the wireless CarPlay installation accomplished (it's a 2018) so we will see how the sound changes. On my LC (2023) I installed a wireless car play adapter (Ottocast). It connects via Bluetooth but streams via WiFi for the highest fidelity.
jollick (04-30-24)
Old 05-02-24, 02:06 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My personal opinion - I've decided I hate the ML in most models. Completely over rated. Sounds terrible, no proper bass and weak speakers all round especially in the front doors. I have owned a ES300, LS430, and now a fully optioned 2016 RX350 all with ML premium sound systems and the only one that was remotely good was the version in my 97 ES300!

Last edited by LEX ES300; 05-02-24 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-02-24, 06:56 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
My personal opinion - I've decided I hate the ML in most models. Completely over rated. Sounds terrible, no proper bass and weak speakers all round especially in the front doors. I have owned a ES300, LS430, and now a fully optioned 2016 RX350 all with ML premium sound systems and the only one that was remotely good was the version in my 97 ES300!
I tend to agree. After having ML in a few Lexus, I have found the difference in sound quality to be negligible. In addition, in this day and age, where most people use streaming services such as Spotify or SiriusXM, I suspect few will even see the benefit of ML unless they are play very high quality audio.

I suspect for most, if you replaced their ML with standard audio, they would not even notice.
Old 07-07-24, 07:23 PM
Royl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
new guy with new to me 2021 RX 350 with Levinson sound.
First, on my research for buying the car several YouTube sources listed a failed subwoofer as a known problem.

second, I have my own question for the audiophiles here: I stream Apple music through my IPhone, and like everyone want to maximize the sound quality as cheaply as I can. question is: does the aux input play directly through to the speakers or does the system mess with the sound?
my thinking is if it’s direct the upcoming Apple Music lossless streaming music could be sent through one of the good $100 portable DACs for ear phones into the aux port, providing better quality sound in for improved results out.
Any thoughts?
ThankYou
Old 07-07-24, 08:38 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Royl
Hi,
First, on my research for buying the car several YouTube sources listed a failed subwoofer as a known problem.

second, I have my own question for the audiophiles here: I stream Apple music through my IPhone, and like everyone want to maximize the sound quality as cheaply as I can. question is: does the aux input play directly through to the speakers or does the system mess with the sound?
my thinking is if it’s direct the upcoming Apple Music lossless streaming music could be sent through one of the good $100 portable DACs for ear phones into the aux port, providing better quality sound in for improved results out.
Any thoughts?
ThankYou
The tone controls adjust the sound so I guess it's going through the preamp stage and obviously it goes through the amplify stage too.
Old 07-08-24, 04:39 AM
Pit Crew

Hi,

Any thoughts?
ThankYou
For me; turned off Surround, max out treble/bass then adjusted down to suit while listening, adjust L/R F/A to suit. Don't use Bluetooth, Tether the phone direct to USB port (center console port). Music Stream provider also makes a difference along with settings of the service provider. I'm using Pandora, Amazon, Spotify and pretty satisfied now after the adjustments. I've not used Apple or Tidal which I understand also deliver Hi-Res.
Old 07-08-24, 05:37 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi,

Any thoughts?
ThankYou
no ML sub issue here, but mine is a 17, not sure if quality declined in some years...
I have a Qudelix-5K dac / amp I have used a few times in the car... yes it will work. I would think it goes through processing like any other source.. sound quality was an improvement... cons were no info displayed, and no controls from the vehicle if I recall.. so like track changes and everything is from the phone, vs vehicle.. hope that makes sense.. I have used the dac several years, on my motorcycle with my custom triple in ears or er4xr under a full face helmet..
Old 07-08-24, 06:21 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a ‘21 with the ML system and I think it’s pretty good, myself. But I listen to XM satellite radio exclusively. Once or twice I have popped a CD in the player.

The audio source makes a huge difference, otherwise it’s like trying to judge a sound system by listening to YouTube videos. I cannot emphasize that enough: without a high-quality audio source, the sound system is going to sound lousy. (I do not consider Pandora to be a high-quality source.)

Try sticking a CD in there and listening. Note that some CDs that sound good in the house (like Steely Dan in my experience ) won’t sound as great in a car, their recordings are EQd for a home stereo system. Good old rock and roll that pumps out the bass does very well in mine.
jollick (07-08-24)
Old 07-10-24, 04:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Hi,

ThankYou
Maybe this is why I don't feel any bass?
Old 07-11-24, 07:26 AM
MrRoboto
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

whats settings are you guys running on the premium non ML system ? I can’t seem to get it right no matter if it is BT apple car play USB with flac files.
i even tried all settings at the max and on the balance two clicks back which was recommended to try with the ML but nothing sounds good

Old 07-11-24, 09:13 PM
15RX98422
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

wow. I turned off the Surround on my ML system and yes, it did make a difference.
GSFRX350 (07-11-24)
Old 07-12-24, 04:12 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

LOL. There is an advantage to having hearing loss! Everything pretty much sounds the same from one vehicle to another. Although, I do have to increase the volume in my Mustang to hear it😱
AZJowett (07-13-24)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System