RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17 | 08:44 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 615tpc
does the RX include android auto and CarPlay?
Neither. Lexus/Toyota refuses to offer Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Old 03-12-17 | 09:07 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Good to know. Another reason for me not to spend over $1k for ML. They should include these features for an "upgraded" premium stereo. I put aftermarket $200 pioneer and jvc stereos in my old cars that have all kinds of sound modes and equalizer settings. They sound amazing ... I can customize them for any kind of music I like, my speakers, and my listening preferences. I can even set frequency crossovers.
it might sound good but it's gonna look stupid.
Old 05-20-17 | 09:31 PM
lianomorga
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX sound system

2016 Lexus RX-

I have the Navi Package which brings in the 12 speaker sound system. I have a problem from seating in the back the sound is horrible like the bass sounds like a can. You can't even hear the subwoofer from the trunk. When you turn up the bass it sounds more worse. Also the sound system seems more front biased. What should I do? Is there a problem w/ my car? Or is that normal & do an after market thing if so what should I do? I'm very disappointed

This car has been kinda a disappointment the engine noise during accelerating is disappointing my sons Toyota iM seems more quiet during acceleration but that's a different subject.
Old 05-21-17 | 12:22 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by lianomorga
2016 Lexus RX-

I have the Navi Package which brings in the 12 speaker sound system. I have a problem from seating in the back the sound is horrible like the bass sounds like a can. You can't even hear the subwoofer from the trunk. When you turn up the bass it sounds more worse. Also the sound system seems more front biased. What should I do? Is there a problem w/ my car? Or is that normal & do an after market thing if so what should I do? I'm very disappointed

This car has been kinda a disappointment the engine noise during accelerating is disappointing my sons Toyota iM seems more quiet during acceleration but that's a different subject.
I don't know about the 12-speaker system BUT the ML 15-speaker 850Watt system in the RX450h is the best car audio system that I have ever had.
Old 05-21-17 | 12:36 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lianomorga
2016 Lexus RX-

Funny I think the 12 speaker premium I had in a loaner car sounds better than the 15 speaker ML. Because the term, mid, lows seemed to me to come from different speakers creating this sensation of separation. On the ML it sounds like I'm listening to one of those cheap all in one TV speaker bars.... (I am no audiophile)
Old 05-21-17 | 10:37 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by satnav
On the ML it sounds like I'm listening to one of those cheap all in one TV speaker bars....

Old 05-22-17 | 05:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by satnav
Funny I think the 12 speaker premium I had in a loaner car sounds better than the 15 speaker ML. Because the term, mid, lows seemed to me to come from different speakers creating this sensation of separation. On the ML it sounds like I'm listening to one of those cheap all in one TV speaker bars.... (I am no audiophile)
What music source were you listening to? I haven't listened to the ML in the RX, but in my ES with it, the only way to make it sound bad is with XM. XM via satellite is so compressed that the better the sound system, the worse it will sound. I found this out on my home audio system years ago, so it wasn't really a surprise to me.
Old 05-22-17 | 06:14 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike728
What music source were you listening to? I haven't listened to the ML in the RX, but in my ES with it, the only way to make it sound bad is with XM. XM via satellite is so compressed that the better the sound system, the worse it will sound. I found this out on my home audio system years ago, so it wasn't really a surprise to me.
That is so true! I have seen people complain about high end stereo systems when playing 128Kbps MP3 file. There is a lot of compression effects at that bit rate and the high end audio systems will reproduce every bit of it. We used those systems listen to songs to improve our MP3 code.

My experience with the 6 month trial of XM satellite radio was bad with the Mark Levinson audio. The audio compression effects was so noticeable, that a few times a song came up, I switched to the same song on my phone at 256Kbps AAC, just to check. The song on my phone sounded way superior than what was streamed over XM. It was very obvious in the ends of the spectrum, particularly bass and high frequency. Seems that XM was using less than 160Kbps.

Even on HD radio, I see significant difference on the same songs. However, HD radio sounds better than XM satellite.
Old 05-23-17 | 10:35 AM
endless402
Driver School Candidate

anyone figure out how to change the speakers yet?
Old 05-23-17 | 01:01 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by endless402
anyone figure out how to change the speakers yet?
To change the standard speakers is easy. Just go to Cruchfield, they'll show you what fits, the hardware needed plus they'll send you instructions on how to.

To change the ML, that's a different story. I would not think that anyone would want to change the ML speakers. The ML system is the BEST car sound system I've heard.
Old 05-23-17 | 01:29 PM
yardbird88
Driver

I used to have the MDX that had Bose system which was a piece of junk. I end up changing all the speakers & subwoofer. This ML system is the first OEM system that I don't intend to change any speaker.
Old 05-23-17 | 03:12 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

I'm an audiophile & wouldn't consider this car without the ML system. My only disappointment is that the interface only has a 3 band equalizer - ridiculous. That being said, when I take delivery, I plan on adding a JL audio subwoofer in the back and take the bass down on the equalizer to balance out the low end that comes from the door woofers. For those looking to upgrade speakers on the premium audio system, I would first add a subwoofer. You'd be surprised what a good subwoofer can do to music enjoyment in a car. If you are looking to upgrade speakers, I'd highly recommend Hertz Hi-Energy speakers. They should be compatible with the factory amp - as I have them installed on my current NX. Very warm sounding speakers.
Old 05-23-17 | 03:26 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Here is the ML speaker system.
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System-ml.png  
Old 05-23-17 | 03:27 PM
endless402
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
To change the standard speakers is easy. Just go to Cruchfield, they'll show you what fits, the hardware needed plus they'll send you instructions on how to.

To change the ML, that's a different story. I would not think that anyone would want to change the ML speakers. The ML system is the BEST car sound system I've heard.

except crutchfield doesn't have any info on the rx350 2017
Old 05-23-17 | 04:44 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
mike good point so in my personal RX I use Sirius XM but on lexus loaners I use my iPhone via USB cable. Maybe I need to try that in my RX. I always thought XM was same quality as its digital audio

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System