RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Garage door programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 11:36 AM
NguyenAT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123
I have a relatively new garage door opener. My older RX was able to use homelink on the auto. I am having trouble getting my new 2018 to "learn" to use the homelink.

I followed the manual, since opener has rolling codes. Pressed the learn button on the back of the opener until red light went on. Then quickly got into car and pressed and held one of the 3 homelink buttons for 2 seconds and did this 3 times. Now it still does not work. HELP!!
Program your homelink with the garage opener remote first. Then hit the “learn” button on the garage opener then quickly press a few times on the homelink button
Old 10-18-18, 11:43 AM
Coachdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try following along with this video...
Old 10-30-18, 11:26 PM
Amelia123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
Several youtubes available with step by step videos on how to program you homelite opener. Once you successfully complete one it goes easily for the next opener or car change. I avoided it for years until one of our remotes went out and the replacement was $50. Why did it take me so long???? It is very easy....done by one person....nothing more than a latter to push the "learn button" on the opener.
Agree with you
Old 12-02-18, 02:43 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Keep in mind that without fob it is not possible. Homelink learns your signal pattern from your fob. Your GDO unit learns the signal from homelink which is duplicate of signal from fob. Do you have keypad on the wall? If so, use that in lieu of fob. What brand is yout GDO? You can get replacement fob from eBay easy.
Great suggestion on using the keypad as a remote, as that was how I got my 2019 to program. My one working remote is with my daughter's car many miles away.
Old 12-02-18, 06:41 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Great suggestion on using the keypad as a remote, as that was how I got my 2019 to program. My one working remote is with my daughter's car many miles away.
I agree also - thanks! It’s a shame that such a great car as the RX is so fussy to program. Our new Camaro programmed perfectly on the first try.
Old 12-03-18, 04:28 AM
keneaise
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
just got a new rx350 and have tried following the manual to program the garage door opener to no avail. Must be doing something very simple incorrectly as i have no issues programming my 2013. I press the learn button on the back of the opener and then press the mirror button 3-4 times but nothing happens. Anyone have success ??
i got very lucky. Normally i do programming using the learn button on the motor. This time i just held the garage door remote under the programming button and it synced right away. With this success, i tried the same thing with the remote for the gate to get into the community. It too worked right away. Worth trying if you are having trouble.
Ken
Old 12-03-18, 05:07 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by keneaise
i got very lucky. Normally i do programming using the learn button on the motor. This time i just held the garage door remote under the programming button and it synced right away. With this success, i tried the same thing with the remote for the gate to get into the community. It too worked right away. Worth trying if you are having trouble.
Ken
That was the only way I could get mine programmed also. I even called the garage door opener manufacturer because the “Learn” button on the opener would not program it. I think enough of us have found the solution that is different from the Lexus instructions.
Old 12-05-18, 05:40 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Ken
That works when there isn't a rolling code, if the code rolls you must go through the learning button on GDO.
Old 12-05-18, 08:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Ken
Sounds like your GDO is quite old without rolling code.
Old 10-30-19, 04:45 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, struggling with the Homelink and my garage door, tried everything here. Problem one; garage door opener is a factory one installed by the home builder, it has a rolling code, but you can’t program the car to the remote, tried on my old RX and this 2018 RX350L. So what is confusing is if you press the desired button once it blinks orange slowly then if you press it again it turns off the blinking orange. So if you press and hold for 2 seconds, then release its still blinking orange until you press it again.

I tried press and release then press to stop the blink, and repeated that 3 to 5 times, still not recognizing my garage door
I've tried the same sequence for even 3 second 3 to 5 times and still isn’t working.

Frustrating, since the Homelink to,the gate of my community took 15 to 20 seconds, and only one try.
Old 10-30-19, 04:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

No information in detail about the GDO. Maker, model, etc.
Old 10-30-19, 05:03 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by LophatRX
Ok, struggling with the Homelink and my garage door, tried everything here. Problem one; garage door opener is a factory one installed by the home builder, it has a rolling code, but you can’t program the car to the remote, tried on my old RX and this 2018 RX350L. So what is confusing is if you press the desired button once it blinks orange slowly then if you press it again it turns off the blinking orange. So if you press and hold for 2 seconds, then release its still blinking orange until you press it again.

I tried press and release then press to stop the blink, and repeated that 3 to 5 times, still not recognizing my garage door
I've tried the same sequence for even 3 second 3 to 5 times and still isn’t working.

Frustrating, since the Homelink to,the gate of my community took 15 to 20 seconds, and only one try.
I remember I had a ton of trouble programming my garage door also. I have a newer Chamberlain opener & I had to call them & use one of the door remotes to get the damn thing to work. The Camaro was a piece of cake to program. Why does Lexus make all the electronics so f’n complicated?! I’m pretty certain that once I get to be 80 years old & cant think straight, I’ll have to own a Chevy or a Ford for easy to use electronics. I’m normally really good with tech gadgets, hence the nickname...
Old 10-30-19, 05:32 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Htony
No information in detail about the GDO. Maker, model, etc.
It is a Genie, but not your standard store bought version, I know it has rolling codes, and the manual states most after 1995 are rolling codes. I programmed our recently traded 04 RX330 with no issues, this one is killing me lol
Old 10-31-19, 10:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
There is a specific procedure to pair-up, you also have to press the learning button on the GDO
Old 10-31-19, 03:13 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

finally got it, for my specific remote it took longer than 20 secs for the Lexus to recognize the remote button, thanks for trying to help.

Last edited by LophatRX; 11-01-19 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Garage door programming