RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Garage door programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 07:53 PM
wjbarton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read all the posts, read all the manuals, went to all the websites, tried everything multiple times...nothing worked. Until I reset the Homelink device in my mirror. For my NX it required holding down the first and third Homelink buttons on the mirror simultaneously for about 20 seconds. This erased all the codes in my device and apparently reset it. Then followed the programming steps and it worked! Hallelujah!!!!
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (01-19-20)
Old 01-19-20, 10:02 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by wjbarton
Read all the posts, read all the manuals, went to all the websites, tried everything multiple times...nothing worked. Until I reset the Homelink device in my mirror. For my NX it required holding down the first and third Homelink buttons on the mirror simultaneously for about 20 seconds. This erased all the codes in my device and apparently reset it. Then followed the programming steps and it worked! Hallelujah!!!!
That's the first thing homelink tells you to do to delete all codes before you start programming.
Old 03-15-21, 09:11 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 626 Likes on 332 Posts

im having the same problems as many of you.

Its so weird that the older lexus i have (2002 SC430, 2010 ES350, 2008 RX400h) all can be programmed within a few seconds but this new RX is giving me problems.

Tried clearing all the codes by holding the two outside buttons and still no luck.

Did they change something on this newer homelink? is it not compatible with older garage door openers? I dont have a rolling code so im not sure whats the problem here.
Old 03-15-21, 09:16 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz

Its so weird that the older lexus i have (2002 SC430, 2010 ES350, 2008 RX400h) all can be programmed within a few seconds but this new RX is giving me problems.

Tried clearing all the codes by holding the two outside buttons and still no luck.

Did they change something on this newer homelink? is it not compatible with older garage door openers? I dont have a rolling code so im not sure whats the problem here.
I have the 2017 RX Executive Canadian version and I was able to get the HomeLink working even on my new garage door opener (installed last summer). Maybe your HomeLink module has a defect? Ask Lexus service people if they can run some tests. One thing I would suggest is to see if you can program a button to a different garage door (may be your friends or family) so you know it is not a problem with your particular garage door opener.
Old 03-15-21, 10:44 AM
Cocal
Racer

There are two ways to program depending on whether your door opener has rolling codes or not if 10yrs or less it probably has rolling codes. his link may help you:
If rolling codes you'll have to locate the "Learn" button on your garage door opener.
Old 03-15-21, 12:28 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

What year is your RX. I just programmed the 2021 model yesterday. The manual is accurate, yet a little misleading. It makes it sound like there is one explanation for those openers without rolling codes, and one with. What isn't clear is that the first part for openers with non-rolling codes has to be performed regardless. Then the section for rolling codes has to be performed. At least this is what worked for me so if I am mistaken someone can correct me.

My process for a rolling code opener based on recollection:
1. Press the button I want to use on the mirror and hold it, while holding the garage door mfgr's remote within three inches right in front of the mirror and simultaneously pressing the open/close button on the remote, until it flashes a different color (orange I believe). You want to keep holding both buttons until you get the flashing orange.
2. Get out of car and press the "learn" button on my opener motor, and then get in the car and press the same button as step one for about three seconds. As per instructions, press repeatedly for a few seconds. Door started to operate on third three second press.
Old 03-15-21, 04:47 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

i got a 2017 RX350 and the garage door opener is at least 30-40 years old. The garage door opener has pins inside that you pull out and push in to program so I don't think its a rolling code device. I also don't see a button on the actual lift motor.

I tried all 3 methods below and nothing works.

Method 1:
press and hold 1 and 3 to clear the codes. Wait till it flashes red.
press button 2 (middle button) once, the homelink button is now flashing red. I hold down the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

Method 2:
press and hold button 2 (middle button) while hold down the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

Method 3:
press and hold button 2 (middle button) while repeatedly pressing the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

Stumped.... all the other lexus's works fine.
It might be a problem with my homelink, but ill have to go find somebody to try it on.
Old 03-16-21, 09:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

i got a 2017 RX350 and the garage door opener is at least 30-40 years old. The garage door opener has pins inside that you pull out and push in to program so I don't think its a rolling code device. I also don't see a button on the actual lift motor.

Method 1:
press button 2 (middle button) once, the homelink button is now flashing red. I hold down the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

Method 2:
press and hold button 2 (middle button) while hold down the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

Method 3:
press and hold button 2 (middle button) while repeatedly pressing the garage door opener fob for 30+ seconds, still flashing red. ( think its suppose to turn green if it learned the code)

It might be a problem with my homelink, but ill have to go find somebody to try it on.
I wish I had some helpful advice but I'm afraid I don't have much to suggest other than what you have already tried. I have an Overhead Door opener that is probably about 20 years old and it uses the rolling codes - so our procedures are clearly going to be different. For your door opener model, I would think your method 2 should be the correct one. For the sake of clarification, the manual does say to hold the remote 2 to 3 inches in front of the mirror. That is the procedure I followed. I didn't clear my old codes (by pressing both 1 and 3 until it flashes) as it is a new vehicle, but as a precaution that is probably a good idea even on new cars.
Old 03-16-21, 10:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Method 1:
Method 2:
Method 3:
One more thing, in all the procedures they say to put in a "FRESH" battery in the remote, if yours is old it may not have enough power.
Old 03-16-21, 11:59 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Try going to the Home Link web site. You can print out instructions for your specific vehicle and opener.
Old 03-16-21, 01:06 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Tried that. My garage door opener system is a Napoleon / Lynx 455. It’s not even listed on their website as a possible manufacturer.
Old 03-16-21, 01:25 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Just in case, watch this.

Old 03-16-21, 04:53 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 135 Posts

I had a 2016 RX and had to use my garage fob opener to get it to sync with the car. 2cents...
Old 03-16-21, 07:29 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I had to call Chamberlain as the Lexus instructions did absolutely nothing.
Old 03-18-21, 11:32 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Tried that. My garage door opener system is a Napoleon / Lynx 455. It’s not even listed on their website as a possible manufacturer.
Since your opener system is old but still functional, maybe you could just add a new receiver that is HomeLink compatible. Check out this site: https://www.garagedooropener.com/conversion-kits.html

Quick Reply: Garage door programming