RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Garage door programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 01:18 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
Tried that. My garage door opener system is a Napoleon / Lynx 455. It’s not even listed on their website as a possible manufacturer.
Contact Napoleon/Lynx for exact instructions on programming your Homelink.
Old 04-26-21, 08:05 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

so i got it working. well i didn't, the guy who came to service my garage (broken tensioner spring) got it working. He tried my remotes, all of them, couldn't get it to work. then he tried his remote and presto, took it in without any problems. it was the stupid remote!!!!
Old 04-27-21, 04:18 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
so i got it working. well i didn't, the guy who came to service my garage (broken tensioner spring) got it working. He tried my remotes, all of them, couldn't get it to work. then he tried his remote and presto, took it in without any problems. it was the stupid remote!!!!
It probably is because your remotes' batteries were low and it does say in the instructions to use new batteries before programming.
Old 07-18-21, 12:13 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Got Homelink to work with community gate

2021 RX…the garage opener was easy but the gate to the community was a challenge. The community was built around 2005 or so, I will assume the gates are from that period, but I have no idea if they are rolling code or not. Anyhow, after trying several things posted on the internet, here’s what finally worked. One critical point is that the gate fob only transmits for a few seconds, on mine I could see the red light come on when I pressed the fob and then two or three seconds later it stops transmitting. Ok, so first I got a fresh battery for the gate fob, supposedly they are not very powerful and a weak battery might not get picked up by Homelink. With the new battery, then I held the (unprogrammed) button on Homelink and kept it held down while I hit the button on the gate fob with the fob pointed a few inches from the rear view mirror. Keeping the Homelink button still pressed the whole time I waited until the fob stopped transmitting (its red led went out) and pressed the fob again. And then waited a few seconds and pressed it again, and again, and again, and again, maybe a dozen or fifteen or twenty times, keeping the Homelink button pressed nonstop the whole time. Suddenly the Homelink indicator went from orange to green. I let off the Homelink button and drove to the gate…it worked. I was King of the World!
The following 3 users liked this post by PhxBill:
bamalam (07-18-21), jamesss711 (07-19-21), ravenuer (07-18-21)
Old 07-30-21, 03:58 PM
ninja757
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant get my homelink to program with my garage door opener. I have a SOMMER direct drive opener - i followed the steps and cant get it to link up. I reset the home link, hit the learn button and nothing happens.

Anyone else have luck with this opener ?
Old 07-30-21, 04:49 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullmetal
i cant get my homelink to program with my garage door opener. I have a SOMMER direct drive opener - i followed the steps and cant get it to link up. I reset the home link, hit the learn button and nothing happens.

I never heard of a Sommer brand opener. I have a rolling code Chamberlain & I had to call them & get their instructions to program the Homelink & they were different than what the Lexus instructions were. My guess is Lexus is using older technology for their Homelink. I didn’t have issues with my Ram or the Camaro, just the Lexus. When I followed Chamberlain’s method, there was no issue, so call Sommer & get their instructions.
Old 07-30-21, 06:05 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 353 Posts

I tried and tried to pair mine for weeks and got no where. Finally, I realized the Lexus ignition had to be on! Duh! Eight years of post high school education and I didn’t realize that! Paired immediately and all has been fine since.
Old 07-31-21, 08:14 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullmetal

Your description doesn't give me enough information to verify your complete process. Furthermore, the manual isn't very clear to me. It seems like they are outlining one procedure OR a second process for rolling code garage door openers. What they are really saying is to perform the first procedure AND then the second one for rolling code openers. Here is what I would try:

based on recollection...
1. First, Press far left and far right buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds until the lights flash to clear any old codes out.
2. Now press the button you want to use on the mirror and hold it, while holding the garage door mfgr's remote within three inches right in front of the mirror and simultaneously pressing the open/close button on the remote, until it flashes a different color (orange I believe). You want to keep holding both buttons until the light corresponding to your button flashes.
3. Now get out of car and press the "learn" button on your garage door opener motor, and then get in the car and press the same button on the mirror as you pressed in step one for about three seconds. As per instructions, press mirror button repeatedly for a few seconds at a time. You may need to repeat these 3 to 4 second "presses" several times before the door starts to operate. (took three presses on my opener).

In reference to another post, I don't recall having the ignition on when I did mine. I would try it without turning on the ignition, and if that doesn't work, try again with the ignition on. As another member suggested, it only worked for them with the ignition on so while I don't believe I had my ignition on, I wouldn't discount that as a requirement - perhaps depends on the year of the vehicle.
Old 07-31-21, 09:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Your description doesn't give me enough information to verify your complete process. Furthermore, the manual isn't very clear to me. It seems like they are outlining one procedure OR a second process for rolling code garage door openers. What they are really saying is to perform the first procedure AND then the second one for rolling code openers. Here is what I would try:

based on recollection...
1. First, Press far left and far right buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds until the lights flash to clear any old codes out.
2. Now press the button you want to use on the mirror and hold it, while holding the garage door mfgr's remote within three inches right in front of the mirror and simultaneously pressing the open/close button on the remote, until it flashes a different color (orange I believe). You want to keep holding both buttons until the light corresponding to your button flashes.
3. Now get out of car and press the "learn" button on your garage door opener motor, and then get in the car and press the same button on the mirror as you pressed in step one for about three seconds. As per instructions, press mirror button repeatedly for a few seconds at a time. You may need to repeat these 3 to 4 second "presses" several times before the door starts to operate. (took three presses on my opener).

In reference to another post, I don't recall having the ignition on when I did mine. I would try it without turning on the ignition, and if that doesn't work, try again with the ignition on. As another member suggested, it only worked for them with the ignition on so while I don't believe I had my ignition on, I wouldn't discount that as a requirement - perhaps depends on the year of the vehicle.
Old 08-09-21, 11:11 AM
ninja757
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TechNut

based on recollection...

​​​​​​​These instructions wont work on SOMMER-usa.com garage door openers. i finally got it to work on my lexus. I got the instructions from homelink.

thanks

Last edited by ninja757; 08-09-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-11-23, 02:03 PM
RLM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Universal Garage Door opening issue!!!

On my 2016 450RH recently having an annoying issue. I have been using it for years to open two of my garage doors, and the security gate where I live, no problems.

Recently, intermittently, occurring about 3 times in the last month or so, the Lexus opener will not open my garage doors. I sat in my driveway yesterday and pushed the button about 10 times and the door would not open.

I had to open the garage doors from the inside of the garage. However, after doing that the Lexus opener worked perfectly. And it once again is working perfectly today.

So this is an occasional issue, and the Lexus opens the security gate without issues.

My concern is one time I will not be able to open the garage doors, and not be able to get into the garage to open from inside.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue.

Old 05-11-23, 02:12 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

It may be the button you have selected is getting worn out. I would program another button on your rear view and see if that resolves your issue.
You could try a shot of contact cleaner around the button.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 05-11-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 02:18 PM
RLM
Driver

It is strange that both buttons for both of the garage doors would go bad. One is hardly ever used, the other a lot.

Right now all three buttons are being used. Thanks for responding.
Old 05-12-23, 09:01 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by RLM
It is strange that both buttons for both of the garage doors would go bad. One is hardly ever used, the other a lot.

Right now all three buttons are being used. Thanks for responding.
I suppose it’s possible that the garage door opener is the problem? Inspect the dangling antenna wire to make sure it didn’t get tangled up and isn’t touching anything. Is there any chance you have the original remote for the garage door opener? I would put it in the car and then next time the mirror button fails to open the door, try the factory remote. If the factory remote opens the door, then you just confirmed it’s probably not the door opener but rather an issue with the car. Of course, if this is a double door and another car/remote operates the door consistently, then the opener is unlikely the problem. From your description, it just wasn’t clear to me that you had positively ruled out the opener as the culprit. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Old 05-12-23, 09:16 AM
RLM
Driver

Thanks, good suggestion. Does Home Link on a Lexus ever not work????? I have never heard of Home Link on Lexus needs to be replaced???

Quick Reply: Garage door programming