RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reproduction Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 08:35 AM
curf
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reproduction Wheels

Has anyone purchased Lexus reproduction wheels? If so any issues? On e-bay and some other reproduction websites they now have the wheels I wanted for my new RX. Dealer would not change the ones that came on the luxury package for the premium package wheel. So I have been watching e-bay. I just found replica's for $895. They look identical to the Lexus wheel. Also found another website that sells them for $800 and they come in chrome to, actually it states 3 colors. He said my center caps will work on these. Advice please!

Old 07-29-16, 08:52 AM
mikli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are fine. You get what you paid. I've purchased eBay/Taiwan oem style BMW wheels before and they are just fine for everyday street driving. Buy from a high feedback eBay seller and let them know if you see any blemish or unbalance issue on the wheels if any. They usually would take care of you. The much price difference between dealership parts price, you could order one extra one for future replacement.

Post photo after you install them.
Old 07-29-16, 09:06 AM
curf
Rookie

They do have a return policy if I have a problem with any of the wheels. I'm sure I would have to pay return shipping. I'll look into that. I'll check feedback scores. Both company's have actual stores you can order from. Thought with e-bay / paypal I would have a better buyer protection if there were a problem. I've spoken to both and they are super nice / helpful. I'm a bit nervous about quality. But $800 ~ $895 is super cheap considering the Lexus ones are going for about twice that amount. Thanks for responding!
Old 07-29-16, 03:42 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're going to buy new wheels, why get OEM looking ones? Be different and get different ones so you don't look like every other RX out there.
Old 07-29-16, 04:38 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
If you're going to buy new wheels, why get OEM looking ones? Be different and get different ones so you don't look like every other RX out there.
Because he likes those wheels! Different isn't necessarily better.
Old 07-29-16, 09:08 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Be careful buying replica wheels.
Old 07-30-16, 08:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow great video!
Old 07-31-16, 06:51 AM
curf
Rookie

Agree GREAT video... re-thinking the replica idea. Thanks
Old 07-31-16, 07:12 AM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good video to watch.

Old 07-31-16, 12:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter64
This video claims that the test video said all aftermarket wheels were unsafe and genuine is the only option. I wouldn't say that was the claim in the test video; I would say that they were claiming fake OEM wheels (or replicas) are not safe and genuine OEM wheels are the safest options. Of course genuine OEM wheels are the safest, since your car was designed to work with them best, but there are some good aftermarket options too. Some aftermarket wheel companies have strict standards/tolerances for their products, so I wouldn't be worried installing those. I would be worried to install fake OEM/replica wheels on my car though; most are made in China.
Old 08-01-16, 02:56 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
This video claims that the test video said all aftermarket wheels were unsafe and genuine is the only option. I wouldn't say that was the claim in the test video; I would say that they were claiming fake OEM wheels (or replicas) are not safe and genuine OEM wheels are the safest options. Of course genuine OEM wheels are the safest, since your car was designed to work with them best, but there are some good aftermarket options too. Some aftermarket wheel companies have strict standards/tolerances for their products, so I wouldn't be worried installing those. I would be worried to install fake OEM/replica wheels on my car though; most are made in China.
Some of these statements are untrue. Genuine OEM wheels are NOT 'of course' the safest. You can probably find over engineered wheels with thicker spokes and advanced materials for example. There is a reason why quality aftermarket rims can exceed the price of OEM.

The second video argues that it doesn't matter if it is fake OEM or replicas. They can be just as high quality if they passed regulatory standards. OEM are probably trying to improve their profit margins by reducing quality to minimum standards too.

Not to defend the Chinese market, but sometimes they do take replicas and make them better than the originals. Sometimes they cut corners to increase margin however. A lot of replicas actually come from the same OEM factories that produce excess capacity or operate 3rd shifts to product that replica wheels.

Finally in a biased video, you can almost be sure that they selected the poorest quality wheels to prove their point. It was not a controlled third party test, it was a propaganda video. My two cents.
Old 08-03-16, 11:42 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Great Video Baxter! If you want to see more of this guy, here's a video with him going on a rant about the top 20 lemon autos, enjoy:

Old 10-05-16, 01:37 PM
Thivi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel swap

Hi Curf,

I saw a pic of the luxury wheels you have with the silver inserts. Here's a pic of the ones I got. However, don't know how practical this is going to be. I live in S. Florida so unless we are both local and drive ourselves to a tire shop and do the swap, it will not be possible. Besides we will both have to do an alignment check and wheel balance when swapping these out ($$$ more).
Attached Thumbnails Reproduction Wheels-img_5950.jpg  
Old 10-05-16, 03:55 PM
curf
Rookie

Yes... these are wheels that I like. My OEM luxury wheels came with black inserts. I tried to pm you a pic but it did not allow me to attach it. I'm watching e-bay for a set of wheels like yours. I had planned on buying a set of reproductions but after posting and receiving feed back from several members on this forum I decided not to go that route. THX
Old 01-12-17, 07:01 PM
uhaveit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curf
Yes... these are wheels that I like. My OEM luxury wheels came with black inserts. I tried to pm you a pic but it did not allow me to attach it. I'm watching e-bay for a set of wheels like yours. I had planned on buying a set of reproductions but after posting and receiving feed back from several members on this forum I decided not to go that route. THX
Did you find the wheels you were looking for ?

I am in the market for 20 inch wheels ( OEM only) and was wondering what is a fair price for a OEM take off wheels
Is buying at dealership not recommended ?

Your thoughts and recommendations are welcome . Looks like you have spent lot of time researching the wheels

Quick Reply: Reproduction Wheels