RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone else think the wipers are slow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 11:11 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 226 Posts

My GS wipers are significantly more quiet than my RX.
Old 09-08-17, 05:37 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

I am waiting for it to rain here in LA so I can test it.
Old 09-09-17, 05:42 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek150
Have driven my 4-month old RX 350 F-Sport through a couple of heavy downpours this summer while on the Interstate. Both times, I could barely get the wipers up to what I would call a medium-speed. I could barely see the road, even dropping down to 55 mph. Not even close to how my former 2012 RX350 wipers functioned.

Yesterday, we tried a side-by-side comparison (parked in driveway, using garden hose to simulate rain) with my husband's old 2007 Chevy. Even this was significantly faster than my 2016 RX.

Thoughts?
Yes they are very slow. I owned a few euro brands and they wipe very fast. where if u force it into high speed mode at a standstill you can feel the car rock.The fast on the RX is the medium of Mercedes and Audi I feel. I catch myself forcing the wiper switch higher only to realize it in the fastest mode.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 08:50 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Yes they are very slow. I owned a few euro brands and they wipe very fast. where if u force it into high speed mode at a standstill you can feel the car rock.The fast on the RX is the medium of Mercedes and Audi I feel. I catch myself forcing the wiper switch higher only to realize it in the fastest mode.
+++Exactly how I feel. In heavy rain earlier this year driving at 35 or 40 mph I had to slow down to 25 mph.
The wipers are so much slower than my previous euro car.
Old 09-12-17, 06:27 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm an outlier. The wipers are too fast. They speed up too much while driving at speed and during heavy downpours. I also wish the wipers would significantly slow while at a stop and resume when I take my foot off the brake.

Last edited by Hubs; 09-12-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 06:39 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
I'm an outlier. The wipers are too fast. They speed up too much while driving at speed and during heavy downpours. I also wish the wipers would significantly slow while at a stop and resume when I take my foot off the brake.
Maybe you and I have turbo motors because I find them way too fast in auto and a heavy downpour. Fast as anything I have ever driven.
Old 09-12-17, 07:05 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Maybe you and I have turbo motors because I find them way too fast in auto and a heavy downpour. Fast as anything I have ever driven.
My Corolla goes faster than the fastest speed of my RX. But with Rain-X, no need for very fast, which I find anoying to see and hear, it is more more distracing that the rain itself.
Old 05-31-19, 12:47 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Wipers not fast enough for storm

is it just me or does the RX have really slow wipers? I was in a really bad storm the other day and I could barely see anything infront of me because they weren’t fast enough. Other cars next to me on the highway like Honda civics passing me because their wipers were almost twice as fast. I have a 2017 F Sport. Noticed this in the 2019 RXL loaner I had as well. Is there any way to fix this? New Lexus wipers or maybe rain x wipers? You think aftermarket rainx wipers work better then oem? My friend who is a mechanic said only use Lexus wiper blades as you just replace the insert. He said they are better then rainx but I’m not sure he even knows for sure. Anyone noticed better performance from aftermarket wipers?
Old 05-31-19, 01:06 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're in the NE and had some wicked weather mid-week and hadn't (and haven't) noticed it being an issue in our '16 for the last 3 years. Maybe post a video of your at both low and high speeds?

We've stuck with OEM wipers. Quiet and do a good job.
Old 05-31-19, 01:13 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by justin1203
We're in the NE and had some wicked weather mid-week and hadn't (and haven't) noticed it being an issue in our '16 for the last 3 years. Maybe post a video of your at both low and high speeds?

We've stuck with OEM wipers. Quiet and do a good job.
Ok I’ll try to take a video. Yea I’m in NY and the storm we had a few days ago was next level. I could barely see infront of me on the highway. When you look at the other cars you can see how much slower the wipers are on the RX.
Old 06-01-19, 06:50 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
is it just me or does the RX have really slow wipers? I was in a really bad storm the other day and I could barely see anything infront of me because they weren’t fast enough. Other cars next to me on the highway like Honda civics passing me because their wipers were almost twice as fast. I have a 2017 F Sport. Noticed this in the 2019 RXL loaner I had as well. Is there any way to fix this? New Lexus wipers or maybe rain x wipers? You think aftermarket rainx wipers work better then oem? My friend who is a mechanic said only use Lexus wiper blades as you just replace the insert. He said they are better then rainx but I’m not sure he even knows for sure. Anyone noticed better performance from aftermarket wipers?
There is a dial on the stalk that lets you adjust the speed, it may be only for the intermittent setting I'm not sure, but I've never found them to be slow.
Old 06-01-19, 09:57 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
There is a dial on the stalk that lets you adjust the speed, it may be only for the intermittent setting I'm not sure, but I've never found them to be slow.
I was about to post something like that, but I thought surely he would know that!
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (06-01-19)
Old 06-01-19, 04:07 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, I think my wipers are slow. In a hard rain, not a torrential downpour, I have to slow down even at speeds of 25 mph. The wipers just can't keep up with the water on the windshield.
Old 06-03-19, 12:13 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I was about to post something like that, but I thought surely he would know that!
I believe that dial is ONLY for the auto or intermittent. Max speed is when pushing the **** all the way down, and it’s nowhere near as fast as other cars.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cocal
Frankly It's 2 cars as others do not have the same problem. Go to the dealer there may be something wrong in your settings.
What are you talking about? It’s ALL RX that have slow wipers. I got a 2019 loaner brand new and same thing. I can’t imagine you have a special RX that has faster wipers then the rest of us. You just haven’t noticed it because you haven’t been in a storm as bad as those of us who DID notice it.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think the wipers are slow?