RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone else think the wipers are slow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 12:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I don't recall being in that heavy a storm to experience what you have. I just put mine on auto and it seems to speed up and slow down as necessary. But I don't think changing blades would have any effect on the speed.
Yea the lucky few of you that say they’re fine is just because you haven’t been in a storm this bad. I never seen rain as bad as it was last week here in NYC so hopefully it doesn’t rain that hard again
Old 06-03-19, 12:29 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Yea the lucky few of you that say they’re fine is just because you haven’t been in a storm this bad. I never seen rain as bad as it was last week here in NYC so hopefully it doesn’t rain that hard again
I live on eastern Long Island, so those storms tend to dissipate by the time they get to us. I'm curious, so the next time I take it out I'll try the wipers on high.
Old 06-03-19, 12:32 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I live on eastern Long Island, so those storms tend to dissipate by the time they get to us. I'm curious, so the next time I take it out I'll try the wipers on high.
Cool thanks. I’m about to try to take a video for comparison. I guarantee everyone has the same wipers. Probably just this storm from last week was epic and rare. Most rain I ever seen in my life.
Old 06-06-19, 07:16 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Well I did have a chance to try out the wipers last night. I usually keep them on auto, but pulled the lever all the way down to high and they were just as fast as any car I've ever been in. Just as fast as my RAV4s wipers. So, you possibly could have a problem with yours?
Old 06-06-19, 07:26 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

What are you talking about? It’s ALL RX that have slow wipers. I got a 2019 loaner brand new and same thing. I can’t imagine you have a special RX that has faster wipers then the rest of us. You just haven’t noticed it because you haven’t been in a storm as bad as those of us who DID notice it.
I've only read about YOU & another poster with this problem, I guess you must have a special rain where you live that can't be handled by these wipers!
Do you REALLY think that Lexus would have not tested them?
Old 06-06-19, 03:10 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool thanks. I’m about to try to take a video for comparison. I guarantee everyone has the same wipers. Probably just this storm from last week was epic and rare. Most rain I ever seen in my life.
Mine are as fast as any car I've owned.
If it's raining so hard that you can't see with the wipers at their fastest setting, it's best to pull over and wait it out, particularly if you are driving in the same direction as the storm.
We get lines of thunderstorms like that in SW Ontario a few times each year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Usual:
CharmCtyIS (06-08-19), Cocal (06-06-19)
Old 06-07-19, 12:37 PM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, they are slow compare to my old TSX. They are even slower on the NX which i had before i traded in for the RX.
Old 06-07-19, 12:46 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by tommytqt
Yeah, they are slow compare to my old TSX. They are even slower on the NX which i had before i traded in for the RX.
The longer the wiper arm the slower it is (appears), but that doesn't mean it can't handle the volume, at least in my experience.

So if you compare with shorter arms, they will indeed be slower, but at the same time you'll have a longer wiper blade that will handle a higher water volume.
Old 09-07-19, 03:36 AM
room4dana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes wipers are slow

Originally Posted by Trek150
Have driven my 4-month old RX 350 F-Sport through a couple of heavy downpours this summer while on the Interstate. Both times, I could barely get the wipers up to what I would call a medium-speed. I could barely see the road, even dropping down to 55 mph. Not even close to how my former 2012 RX350 wipers functioned.

Yesterday, we tried a side-by-side comparison (parked in driveway, using garden hose to simulate rain) with my husband's old 2007 Chevy. Even this was significantly faster than my 2016 RX.

Thoughts?
I have a 2017 and it is dangerously slow. I’ve brought it on to the dealership 4x to solve issue with various but not helpful results. Finally I had Passengers during a rainstorm that corroborated by story: it is dangerous with little to no visibility in heavy rain.
Old 09-07-19, 06:30 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by room4dana
I have a 2017 and it is dangerously slow. I’ve brought it on to the dealership 4x to solve issue with various but not helpful results. Finally I had Passengers during a rainstorm that corroborated by story: it is dangerous with little to no visibility in heavy rain.
Wipers on my 2017 are as fast as any car out there. Are you aware that there are many modes for the wipers.....on slow, adjustable interval, automatic and FAST. Make sure you know how to set them.
Perhaps next time you're at the dealer, ask to try another RXs wipers.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (09-07-19)
Old 09-07-19, 06:40 AM
Cocal
Racer

Wipers on my 2017 are as fast as any car out there. Are you aware that there are many modes for the wipers.....on slow, adjustable interval, automatic and FAST. Make sure you know how to set them. Perhaps next time you're at the dealer, ask to try another RXs wipers.
Same here, I too think that some people don't know how to set them. In auto mode they are not as good as my MB E350, but quite acceptable nevertheless.
Old 09-07-19, 06:51 AM
room4dana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wipers on my 2017 are as fast as any car out there. Are you aware that there are many modes for the wipers.....on slow, adjustable interval, automatic and FAST. Make sure you know how to set them.
Perhaps next time you're at the dealer, ask to try another RXs wipers.
Its been to the dealership 4X. It is at its highest setting. If you’ve read this and other forums, the wipers are a thing. Lexus needs to pay attention.
Old 09-07-19, 08:38 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Its been to the dealership 4X. It is at its highest setting. If you’ve read this and other forums, the wipers are a thing. Lexus needs to pay attention.
Like I said, go to the dealer and ask to sit in another 2017 RX. Start it up and run the wipers on high, making sure you use the washers so as not to drag the wipers on a dry windshield. If they're the same as yours, the dealer wins. If they whip across the windshield like mine, point it out to him and ask when yours will be fixed.

Reading back thru all the posts on this thread, it seems like it's divided between the two opinions. Perhaps it's a perception of what constitutes "fast". I'm pretty sure Lexus installs the same wiper motor and controls in all their cars. You could have a defective control stalk that won't go into high, but that should be pretty obvious to the dealer.

Last edited by ravenuer; 09-07-19 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 09:06 AM
Cocal
Racer

It could be that your particular vehicle may have a corrupted control, it may also be that your dealer isn't up to snuff.
As Revenuer said try another vehicle and if it is not the same go to another dealer as the one you are using may not be competent, OTOH if it is the same than it's a question of perception.
Old 09-07-19, 10:05 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Like I said, go to the dealer and ask to sit in another 2017 RX. Start it up and run the wipers on high, making sure you use the washers so as not to drag the wipers on a dry windshield. If they're the same as yours, the dealer wins. If they whip across the windshield like mine, point it out to him and ask when yours will be fixed.

Reading back thru all the posts on this thread, it seems like it's divided between the two opinions. Perhaps it's a perception of what constitutes "fast". I'm pretty sure Lexus installs the same wiper motor and controls in all their cars. You could have a defective control stalk that won't go into high, but that should be pretty obvious to the dealer.
Ravenuer,

what is up with you and defending the RX like you built the car. It’s NOT an opinion. The wipers on the GS, NX, IS and ES are significantly faster! I’ve never had a car where I couldn’t drive in heavy rain. NOT the same wiper motor across all models, that’s an ignorant assumption. Once again, you do NOT have a special RX. Your always chiming in to defend the RX and tell us how you don’t have the issue stated. I’ve had loaners and they all have the same wiper speed. Simply not fast enough for the large windshield with heavy rain. It doesn’t even have to be a storm, any heavy rain and the wipers cannot keep up.

You said “my RX doesn’t have any hesitation issues, I drive it in sport mode all the time.” That pretty much means you do have the hesitation which is why you have to use sport mode all the time.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think the wipers are slow?