RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Why doesn't RX350 offer a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 06:47 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=sirtiger;9610939]After driving the 4RX for 6 months, I think this car could use more power. For such little cost, Lexus could have easily throw in a turbo or offer that as an option. Yes, 4RX has more HP but there is added weight since the 3RX which I had....so its the same to me. Since its a totally redesigned vehicle, the RX should be in front of the pack with their peers for HP. To me, only the Infinity QX60 is severely underpowered compared to the competition.

RX350= 295HP
MKX= 303HP, optional 335 HP
XC90= 316HP
MDX= 290HP
Q7= 333HP

i agree with the underpowered but it's more than just HP. My 2010 RX is quicker than the 2016, IMO. 0-60 published info supports that feeling. To me the 16's feel a little sluggish even though they have more power. The power band-torque and HP play a part in performance. More torque delivered at a low RPM vs peak torque and HP at higher RPM can make a big difference in real performance. The priority of economy over performance probably contribute to a loss of the "snappy feel". I have recently driven most of the SUV's you list. The German cars and the new Jag F Pace feel snappier and deliver better 0-60 acceleration times but deliver lower MPG's. I'm on the fence about what to buy because I love the interior and build quality of the RX.
Old 09-12-16, 12:11 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
why would they need to decrease the motor size? If BMW can throw twin turbo in their I6 bay I am sure lexus can find room in a SUV....turbos don't take up that much space. I am just stating that for a few hundred bucks, there will be a decent increase in HP output.
If you think a turbo V6 is only going to cost a few hundred dollars to us you are sadly mistaken. (What is the difference in price between the X5 and the MX5 again? lol)
Lexus isn't about making more power just to make power.
Look at the other cars in the line. GS and IS for example.

Also the current V6 will outlast any turbo engine.
Old 09-14-16, 07:01 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
If you think a turbo V6 is only going to cost a few hundred dollars to us you are sadly mistaken. (What is the difference in price between the X5 and the MX5 again? lol)

N/A is always a better than a turbo V6 or S/C V6. No one can dispute that turbo or s/c is a cheap way to add power and not burn a lot more gas

Its unfair to compare the X5 to the X5M. Have you driven it? I own a M5 and its more than just a 550i with more power. The ///M is also about suspension, seats, etc, etc....sort of like our F sport here. Turbo cost lexus manufacture a few hundred....what they would charge us is another story. Quite a handful of people here are obviously willing to pay for the FSport or the AWD option......and I am sure quite a few would pay a turbo
Old 09-14-16, 08:22 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

N/A is always a better than a turbo V6 or S/C V6. No one can dispute that turbo or s/c is a cheap way to add power and not burn a lot more gas

Its unfair to compare the X5 to the X5M. Have you driven it? I own a M5 and its more than just a 550i with more power. The ///M is also about suspension, seats, etc, etc....sort of like our F sport here. Turbo cost lexus manufacture a few hundred....what they would charge us is another story. Quite a handful of people here are obviously willing to pay for the FSport or the AWD option......and I am sure quite a few would pay a turbo
Yes put it was said that for "only a few hundred more"....
I don't care what Lexus has to pay I only care what I have to pay.
Old 09-14-16, 10:17 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I was referring to cost....as in easy profit for Lexus. Lexus marketing a product people want to buy...perception is important. The horsepower race is people willing to pay for....just as in AWD marketing game. I believe I read that AWD system is one of the most profitable option in a vehicle...which is why almost every entry to mid price luxury vehicle tries to stand out from the 4matic, Quattro, SH-AWD, etc
Old 09-19-16, 06:27 PM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I was referring to cost....as in easy profit for Lexus. Lexus marketing a product people want to buy...perception is important. The horsepower race is people willing to pay for....just as in AWD marketing game. I believe I read that AWD system is one of the most profitable option in a vehicle...which is why almost every entry to mid price luxury vehicle tries to stand out from the 4matic, Quattro, SH-AWD, etc
I think you may be forgetting about the demographic that typically buys the RX. Yes I know Lexus has recently gone for more progressive design/performance, but first off the concept of an SUV being like a sports car is a bit of an oxymoron; they have higher center of gravity, higher weight, etc. And if you really want a luxury SUV that attempts to be a sports car you're probably looking at a Porsche Cayenne or Macan and not an RX. Also why bother with the development costs of a turbo/supercharged V6 when they could just shoe-horn in the V8 they use in the various "F" cars? Hmm, to answer my own question probably because the RX platform is designed as transverse/front drive and would not support it...
Old 09-20-16, 08:07 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The RX200t turbo is offered in other markets except for the US... This would have been perfect here in the US market... http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/rx/rx-200t/
Old 09-21-16, 09:03 PM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to keep in mind the Toyota/Lexus state of mind - the are not chasers of HP and brand new technology to boost performance. They are very methodical and careful, using proven methods and technologies.
Look at how everyone jumped on direct injection bandwagon, while Toyota took their time. It seems that carbon build up is pretty common for DI only engines, and IS250 did have that issue (im sure u can find people complaining about it on forums), but Toyota applied D4-S using both direct and port injected, and that seems to have no issues and it works. Now its spreading across their engine line up. Again, just highlights their conservative approach.
Now they have 2 liter turbo engine appearing, slowly but its there. They know their audience, they make money and grow. Why should they risk going FI? Is it truely such a simple thing, just slap a turbo?
What is Toyota/Lexus biggest innovation of last couple of decades? Hybrid, cvt and other boring things. Its their thing.

Last edited by yermolovd; 09-21-16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 03:07 PM
RTSRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
The RX200t turbo is offered in other markets except for the US... This would have been perfect here in the US market... http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/rx/rx-200t/
I would agree with your statement if Lexus did not launch the NX here in the US. If Lexus offered the RX200t (which has the same engine as the NX 200t) in addition to the NX lineup, it would cannibalized the NX.

Old 01-23-17, 08:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Reliability is the key for Lexus.

Originally Posted by bootman

Old 01-23-17, 09:29 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why would they need to decrease the motor size? If BMW can throw twin turbo in their I6 bay I am sure lexus can find room in a SUV....turbos don't take up that much space. I am just stating that for a few hundred bucks, there will be a decent increase in HP output.
Lexus is overly conservative when it comes to tuning their engines. If you compare the 4RX to the X5 35i, the torque and acceleration on the X5 blows away the 4RX even though they are fairly close in HP.

It drives me crazy that Lexus doesn't offer better power options in their lineup of vehicles.
Old 01-23-17, 09:33 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

i own an M5 too. My wife has the 4RX. I guess us M5 guys have a hard time not thinking about power when driving the 4RX. Of course, there aren't many cars out there that will satisfy the need for power after driving our cars.
Old 01-24-17, 05:06 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After driving the 4RX for 6 months, I think this car could use more power. For such little cost, Lexus could have easily throw in a turbo or offer that as an option. Yes, 4RX has more HP but there is added weight since the 3RX which I had....so its the same to me. Since its a totally redesigned vehicle, the RX should be in front of the pack with their peers for HP. To me, only the Infinity QX60 is severely underpowered compared to the competition.

RX350= 295HP
MKX= 303HP, optional 335 HP
XC90= 316HP
MDX= 290HP
Q7= 333HP
QX60= 265HP
X5= 300HP
id say more maintenance issues with a turbo, especially after 8++ years. Reliability is a big deal at Lexus.
Old 01-24-17, 06:35 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not having a turbo was a selling point for me on my '16 RX. Adding a turbo would have required premium fuel. A friend of mine just had his Audi A4 turbo replaced after 4 years. Fortunately it was covered under an extended warranty.
The RX has plenty of power for me. I'm not sure why I would need more. I have enough horsepower for passing and merging onto the highway.

I expect Lexus will add more turbo's if the federal MPG restrictions aren't lowered. But I doubt this will result in an increase in horsepower.
Old 01-24-17, 11:19 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSRX
I would agree with your statement if Lexus did not launch the NX here in the US. If Lexus offered the RX200t (which has the same engine as the NX 200t) in addition to the NX lineup, it would cannibalized the NX.
Maybe... the markets in which the RX200t is available likely also have the NX200t though. I think in North America, we are power hungry enough that the RX200t would be a tough sell and not competitive with the market. When I had the NX, I felt the 2.0t was just enough for peppy city driving but still not quite enough power for quick mountain highway passes.

The RX350 is plenty powerful in my opinion, just held back by a poorly mapped transmission. I'm sure software could fix the issue but it's clearly tuned for maximum fuel efficiency.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't RX350 offer a turbo?