RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 12:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Wow you seem to be quite well equipped!! You must cover about 20,000Km yearly, I'm far from that. On my MB E350 I used Continental all weathers though they weren't so classified, I think for liability purposes and changed them after 5 yrs with the same tires and brand, they performed well, but my weather here in the GTA is far different from yours, I think that if were in your neck of the woods I'd be taking a really hard look at the Hakkapellitta r2, though very expensive it's like having tracks instead of wheels
I got transferred out here in 1970. I used to live in Scarboro near the Sinclair subway station. Retired in 2002, GTA must be changed a lot since.
We just drive like 25 Km a day going to Seniors club. When we go out to cabin in the woods, that is 250km round trip on highway mostly.
Today temp. climbed back above freezing. We may have flooding from melting snow, LOL
Old 01-13-18, 01:38 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I got transferred out here in 1970. I used to live in Scarboro near the Sinclair subway station. Retired in 2002, GTA must be changed a lot since.
We just drive like 25 Km a day going to Seniors club. When we go out to cabin in the woods, that is 250km round trip on highway mostly.
Today temp. climbed back above freezing. We may have flooding from melting snow, LOL
My company wanted me to go to Vancouver in 1968 but I declined, silly me!! Was il Alberta many times, have always enjoyed it.Toronto to me is unliveable, way too much traffic and people, this is the reason why I'm in the burbs.
Old 09-12-18, 07:49 PM
GMCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" Wheel on RX350L As Winter

Hi there,

I have a set of Lexus 19" Wheel from my old 2015 RX350, P235/55R19. I'd like to use them as my winter set for my new 2018 RX350L. I wonder if they will fit.

Thanks,

AT
Old 09-12-18, 10:06 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

The rims should be a perfect fit, since the bolt pattern etc should be the same. The tires though, are a bit too low. 3% lower overall diameter; according to the wheel size calculator site. For 19" rims, if you want to stick with the 235 width, you'll need to replace the tires with 235/60R19 to get them within 0.2% of the stock 235/55R20.
Old 09-13-18, 07:57 AM
GMCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kolokmee
The rims should be a perfect fit, since the bolt pattern etc should be the same. The tires though, are a bit too low. 3% lower overall diameter; according to the wheel size calculator site. For 19" rims, if you want to stick with the 235 width, you'll need to replace the tires with 235/60R19 to get them within 0.2% of the stock 235/55R20.
Thanks Kolokmee,

Just a noob question, what happen if I just re&re with P235/55R19? You said it would be a bit too low. Would it affect the car safety or performance?

Thanks again,

AT
Old 09-13-18, 01:25 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCT
Thanks Kolokmee,

Just a noob question, what happen if I just re&re with P235/55R19? You said it would be a bit too low. Would it affect the car safety or performance?

Thanks again,

AT
It will cause an error in the speed indication and in the run distance measured. The tolerance is max 3% error, which is majorly tolerated by the governing bodies managing transportation.

BUT the 3%, I wonder if it is in diameter or in circumference... I don't recall.

For my winter tires, I bought the OEM Lexus 18" mags (not the same ones than delivered with the base package, they are nicer) with 235/65R18. 1200$ for the set of four.

Old 09-16-18, 09:04 AM
GMCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Hi Kolokmee,

After searching on internet, I can not find any 235/60R with 19', Would you have any site with the tire size conversion?

Thanks very much,

AT
Old 09-16-18, 09:26 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCT
Hi Kolokmee,

After searching on internet, I can not find any 235/60R with 19', Would you have any site with the tire size conversion?

Thanks very much,

AT
I typically use http://www.wheel-size.com/calc to look them up.

Tirerack also gives you options if you specify your car and a custom wheel size. Just looking at tirerack, it looks like their default option for a 19" rim that fits our cars is 245/55R19; which according to the wheel size calculator is down -1.9% overall diameter.

A better fit might actually be 255/55R19, which Tirerack has plenty of choices of tires for. Diameter is within 0.4%. It is a wider tire, and I've heard some people say skinnier tires are better for snow/winter, but I'm not sure if it matters to you.
Old 12-13-18, 05:57 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocal
I really like them and my next door neighbour after seeing mine also bought them, but they are not the same type of tire, the Michelins were summer ones and these Toyos are all weather (not all seasons) so that I don't have to change tires every 6 months. Michelin had all weather but not in 20" alas.
In Quebec we have a law that all vehicles must be equipped of winter tires from Dec 15 to Mar 15. We cannot escape that. And the police do check on parked vehicles,
Old 12-13-18, 06:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
In Quebec we have a law that all vehicles must be equipped of winter tires from Dec 15 to Mar 15. We cannot escape that. And the police do check on parked vehicles,
Yes I know, I think it will come soon to Ontario as well. Way overdue, when I see the morons trying to negotiate a slight hill with ice being a danger to themselves and others I say it'll never be too soon.
Old 12-13-18, 06:56 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Just curious, what is meant by "winter" tires? Would that include all weather or all season etc?
Old 12-13-18, 07:11 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Just curious, what is meant by "winter" tires? Would that include all weather or all season etc?
You could use them for the other seasons too but they would wear prematurely since the compound is softer so they don't get hard and stiff at very cold temperature. Having the gum softer, it keeps grip on cold surface and ice.

But the threading is different too. It has small close lines (verry noticeable on Michelin X-Ice tires) to keep a good grip on ice, and the larger ones are designed to grip on a snowy surface, as well to be able to evacuate properly water and slush.

The ideal temperature range is bellow 10 degrees Celcius to avoid too much wear.

One would choose his winter tires for the most encountered conditions of the roads used. Someone that roll mostly on highways and city would choose a tire more designed for gripping on ice (like Michelin X-Ice). For me I live in the suburb and roll more in snowy conditions, so for me the best choice is Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2.

Here is the thread of the Bridgestone:

And here is the thread of a Michelin X-Ice

Old 12-13-18, 07:57 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

PeeVee, so then it's strictly winter tires only. If you buy a new car during the winter, what would the car come with? What does the dealer do with the OEMs?
Sorry, I'm just curious.
Old 12-13-18, 09:05 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

PeeVee, so then it's strictly winter tires only. If you buy a new car during the winter, what would the car come with? What does the dealer do with the OEMs?
Sorry, I'm just curious.
You still get the OEM all weather tires, but most of the dealers make some promotions for the winter tires if you buy in the winter.

I bought in spring (20 " wheels) and at fall, I bought by myself a set of 18" mags and TPMS (Lexus) and winter tires (Costco) for my winter set. I change my wheels by myself at fall and in the spring.
Most people buy a separate set of wheels and tires, but some just make the change of tires on the OEM wheels, but have to go to a garage to do it.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 09:26 AM
Cocal
Racer

All Seasons are out! You can use an All Weather IF it has the 3 mountain peaks & snowflake printed on the outside of the tire (Most do), it means that it has been winter approved. All winter tires in Canada have the 3 peaks & snowflake showing that it has met all the requirements for winter driving
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-13-18)

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims