RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 09:29 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
All Seasons are out! You can use an All Weather IF it has the 3 mountain peaks & snowflake printed on the outside of the tire (Most do), it means that it has been winter approved. All winter tires in Canada have the 3 peaks & snowflake showing that it has met all the requirements for winter driving

Yes like the Toyo Celcius. But I would not use it on an RX... But I would use it for a Corolla...

These types of tires passed the bare minimum of the requirements. But I feel safer with a higher end winter tires.
Old 12-13-18, 09:32 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Yes like the Toyo Celcius. But I would not use it on an RX... But I would use it for a Corolla...

These types of tires passed the bare minimum of the requirements. But I feel safer with a higher end winter tires.
I've had the Nokia WRG3 on an Outback and they performed very well, wanted to put them on my RX but they didn't come in 20"so I put on the Celcius, they've been great so far, but we don't get the amount of snow you do. If I were in Qc I'd have dedicated snows for sure and I'd get Hakkapellitta.
Why would you not use Celcius on the RX?
Old 12-13-18, 09:42 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

I've had the Nokia WRG3 on an Outback and they performed very well, wanted to put them on my RX but they didn't come in 20"so I put on the Celcius, they've been great so far, but we don't get the amount of snow you do. If I were in Qc I'd have dedicated snows for sure and I'd get Hakkapellitta.
Why would you not use Celcius on the RX?
I would not use Celcius on a SUV by an educated guess.

1- The adherence must be decrease by very cold temperature (like -20 C)
2- Due to the weight of the RX, they must wear a lot during the summer days.
3- Looking at their threads, the efficiency on icy road must not be that great.

I would have liked those Nokian tires too but our Costco did not hold them. And according to Consumer report, the Bridgestone is very good on snow and also good on ice. This is why I chose them.
Very happy with them, third season this year. And the ride is very smooth and quiet!
Old 12-13-18, 10:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

You said: “I would have liked those Nokian tires too but our Costco did not hold them. And according to Consumer report, the Bridgestone is very good on snow and also good on ice. This is why I chose them.
Very happy with them, third season this year. And the ride is very smooth and quiet!”

So, you purchased Bridgestone Ecopias yourself or did I miss something here? CR has the Ecopia 422 tires ranked very near the bottom of the heap & they do not have a recommendation. This is one reason why I’m bewildered as to why Lexus would install such garbage OEM tires on their best seller. I could understand the NX, but not the RX. Our Camaro has highly specialized run-flat tires that grip like hell, but wear out fast. They do what they are designed to do, hold a 455hp sports car to the pavement like glue.

So the folks in Canada that are required by law to have winter tires; is that on all 4 wheels or just the drive wheels? I would assume one would want the RX 450h to have all 4, since it’s a form of all wheel drive.
Old 12-13-18, 10:26 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
You said: “I would have liked those Nokian tires too but our Costco did not hold them. And according to Consumer report, the Bridgestone is very good on snow and also good on ice. This is why I chose them.
Very happy with them, third season this year. And the ride is very smooth and quiet!”

So, you purchased Bridgestone Ecopias yourself or did I miss something here? CR has the Ecopia 422 tires ranked very near the bottom of the heap & they do not have a recommendation. This is one reason why I’m bewildered as to why Lexus would install such garbage OEM tires on their best seller. I could understand the NX, but not the RX. Our Camaro has highly specialized run-flat tires that grip like hell, but wear out fast. They do what they are designed to do, hold a 455hp sports car to the pavement like glue.

So the folks in Canada that are required by law to have winter tires; is that on all 4 wheels or just the drive wheels? I would assume one would want the RX 450h to have all 4, since it’s a form of all wheel drive.

Not Ecopia, Blizzak (winter tires).

My OEM are Michelin Premier LTX, which I love for summer.

Not all provinces require winter tire, but in mine, they are mandatory. And on all 4 wheels and it is very important that they are. If not the vehicle could under/over steer and do a 180.

The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 10:45 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Note to the moderator, the threads should not have been merged. The ropic was about EOM Bridgestone timer versus other. A tangeant was taken talking about winter tires, but that was off topic,

EDIT:

Ok I see that the original topic was merged to another one. My bad!
Old 12-13-18, 10:47 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I would not use Celcius on a SUV by an educated guess.

1- The adherence must be decrease by very cold temperature (like -20 C)
2- Due to the weight of the RX, they must wear a lot during the summer days.
3- Looking at their threads, the efficiency on icy road must not be that great.

I would have liked those Nokian tires too but our Costco did not hold them. And according to Consumer report, the Bridgestone is very good on snow and also good on ice. This is why I chose them.
Very happy with them, third season this year. And the ride is very smooth and quiet!
Toyo & Nokia have the same performance +/- with Nokia slightly better in braking, but they start from opposite poles Nokia is a winter tire adjusted to perform in the summer Celcius is the opposite, summer tire adjusted to perform in winter. I don't drive much so I change tires due to time and not mileage. I looked at the Blizzaks, but they only keep their ice performance till they're worn down to 50% after that the performance is the same as any other winter tire and I think they were more expensive.
Old 12-13-18, 10:49 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

I wondered how we got into winter tires - I’m guessing I’ve been commenting into the wrong thread now? My thread is about RX OEM Bridgestone tires...
Old 12-13-18, 12:45 PM
Cocal
Racer

I wondered how we got into winter tires - I’m guessing I’ve been commenting into the wrong thread now? My thread is about RX OEM Bridgestone tires...
One of the greatest conundrums of life, the way any tread diverges
Old 12-13-18, 01:19 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I’m not upset - I’ve learned about the differences in Winter, All Weather & All Season tires, so no harm
Old 12-13-18, 04:37 PM
Cocal
Racer

I’m not upset - I’ve learned about the differences in Winter, All Weather & All Season tires, so no harm
Ain't forums amazing !
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (12-13-18)
Old 12-14-18, 09:02 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Toyo & Nokia have the same performance +/- with Nokia slightly better in braking, but they start from opposite poles Nokia is a winter tire adjusted to perform in the summer Celcius is the opposite, summer tire adjusted to perform in winter. I don't drive much so I change tires due to time and not mileage. I looked at the Blizzaks, but they only keep their ice performance till they're worn down to 50% after that the performance is the same as any other winter tire and I think they were more expensive.
I bought Blizzaks 25 years ago when they first came to Canada and I bought a set of 20 inch Blizzaks and aluminum rims a few weeks ago for my RX.

Over the years I've tried the other brands, because Blizzaks wear so quickly in warm weather (realistically they are good for about 15k) but have not found anything that comes close to the Blizzaks performance in real world driving.
Unfortunately, "winter conditions" includes a very wide variety of situations, from hard-pack to fresh falling snow to blowing snow to greasy, salty slush to black ice, with the worst being the polished ice that forms at intersections from repeated skidding and spinning wheels. In my experience, the tests on frozen lakes or ice rinks don't simulate this variety of conditions at all. I've lost count of the times I've heard people talk about how slippery the drive to work was and I think to myself - I didn't even notice it being slippery.

So yes, Blizzaks are the most expensive winter tires, but I only need to avoid one accident to justify the cost.
Old 12-14-18, 09:56 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Usual
So yes, Blizzaks are the most expensive winter tires, but I only need to avoid one accident to justify the cost.
They are good tires indeed, but Hakkapellitta are better still IMO, though how much better is moot.

Compounds are getting better and better every year and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "All weathers" of today will eventually be the tire of norm and kill the "All seasons"
Old 12-14-18, 10:40 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They are good tires indeed, but Hakkapellitta are better still IMO, though how much better is moot.

Compounds are getting better and better every year and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "All weathers" of today will eventually be the tire of norm and kill the "All seasons"
Back when I had a Volvo, the service department really pushed those, but I didn't find them to be in the same league as Blizzaks on wet ice.
Old 12-14-18, 10:56 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Just curious, what is meant by "winter" tires? Would that include all weather or all season etc?
Winter tires are one for use in snow and cold. All season is progressing to all weather which is bit better in wither but I don't expect
one tire can do the dual duty well. My wife has no expert knowledge of cars or tires. She always wants we should buy AWD cars and two sets of
tires for two seasons. Every car we owned for us and kids, they have been AWD and had winter tires in winter. I am in Alberta.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims