RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 11:57 AM
chris0055
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the info.

I'll give them a call. I got a quote from a local shop and a dealership that sells this model for $799 plus tax

They came in both 18 and 20. I think I'll try 18. They looks just like my stock one.

Will report back once I have one.

Originally Posted by Academic
Hi Chris:

If you go to Garage Five in Richmond, they sell clonable sensors for our car. Since my car was so new back in 2017 (only 2nd year of 4th gen RX), no place including Costco could clone my TPMS back then and I think many places still cannot close our sensors. They have sensors called G31 Green 315 MHZ Smart Sensors that can clone ours exactly. When shopping around many, many shops back then the problem was that the car was so new at the time no one's machines could read the signal on the sensors. Only Garage Five was the only shop that had the correct gun to read the signal as well as clone the sensors. I have used these winter wheels now for 4 winters including this year and never had any problems with them. No need to reprogram anything when swapping wheels and they read tire pressure as well. If the winter / summer wheels are stored close to the car, they may read the stored tires pressures sometimes but once you drive off, it will read the tire pressure on the car at the present time.

I would also try to get your dealer to get Michelin Xice tires since there is a rebate going on right now and they wear much better. The rebate is during this time of the year annually (as well as Spring I believe) and I go to Costco for my tires. Despite 3 full winters on them going onto 4, I have very minimal wear on the Xice tires. No problems at all going up to Whistler as well.

Oh and for winter wheels, you should go with the narrowest and smallest wheels as possible. Therefore even though I have an F Sport 3 with stock 235/55/20, I went with 235/65/18 winter wheels (Lexus Star spoke). On a past car, I went from a staggered 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 staggered set up to a square 215/45/17 winter wheels I believe (it's was 2 cars back so I can't recall exactly).
Old 10-05-21, 11:02 PM
rquan
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it safe to use spacers, which resulted with less turns with the wheel nuts?

Hi, I got a set of used winter tires with 20" rims (non lexus's) for cheap, but I need to add spacers since the spokes are kind of curved in and touching the brake calipers a bit . The OEM wheel nuts get 8 turns into the wheel studs when using the OEM 20" wheels, but the acorn wheel nuts (not the OEM nuts) used for these winter tires can only get 5.5 to 6 turns due to the use of the wheel spacers (5mm). Wondering if they are safe to drive with that? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rquan; 10-06-21 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-06-21, 03:57 PM
rquan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Academic
Hi Chris:

If you go to Garage Five in Richmond, they sell clonable sensors for our car. Since my car was so new back in 2017 (only 2nd year of 4th gen RX), no place including Costco could clone my TPMS back then and I think many places still cannot close our sensors. They have sensors called G31 Green 315 MHZ Smart Sensors that can clone ours exactly. When shopping around many, many shops back then the problem was that the car was so new at the time no one's machines could read the signal on the sensors. Only Garage Five was the only shop that had the correct gun to read the signal as well as clone the sensors. I have used these winter wheels now for 4 winters including this year and never had any problems with them. No need to reprogram anything when swapping wheels and they read tire pressure as well. If the winter / summer wheels are stored close to the car, they may read the stored tires pressures sometimes but once you drive off, it will read the tire pressure on the car at the present time.

I would also try to get your dealer to get Michelin Xice tires since there is a rebate going on right now and they wear much better. The rebate is during this time of the year annually (as well as Spring I believe) and I go to Costco for my tires. Despite 3 full winters on them going onto 4, I have very minimal wear on the Xice tires. No problems at all going up to Whistler as well.

Oh and for winter wheels, you should go with the narrowest and smallest wheels as possible. Therefore even though I have an F Sport 3 with stock 235/55/20, I went with 235/65/18 winter wheels (Lexus Star spoke). On a past car, I went from a staggered 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 staggered set up to a square 215/45/17 winter wheels I believe (it's was 2 cars back so I can't recall exactly).
Do you mind post some picture of the sensors? Thanks.

Originally Posted by chris0055
Thank you so much for the info.

I'll give them a call. I got a quote from a local shop and a dealership that sells this model for $799 plus tax

They came in both 18 and 20. I think I'll try 18. They looks just like my stock one.

Will report back once I have one.
Did you get the whole set for $799 + tax? If so, that was a great deal. Called the dealer in Calgary, they wanted $305 + tax each!

Last edited by rquan; 10-07-21 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 10:53 AM
Academic
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rquan;11140263]Do you mind post some picture of the sensors? Thanks.

Hi Rquan. See below.

Old 10-07-21, 05:13 PM
rquan
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Academic;11140789]
Originally Posted by rquan
Do you mind post some picture of the sensors? Thanks.

Hi Rquan. See below.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-20-21, 06:16 PM
rquan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rquan
Hi, I got a set of used winter tires with 20" rims (non lexus's) for cheap, but I need to add spacers since the spokes are kind of curved in and touching the brake calipers a bit . The OEM wheel nuts get 8 turns into the wheel studs when using the OEM 20" wheels, but the acorn wheel nuts (not the OEM nuts) used for these winter tires can only get 5.5 to 6 turns due to the use of the wheel spacers (5mm). Wondering if they are safe to drive with that? Thanks in advance.
Well, end up selling this set of tires, as I don't want to use spacers. Got an excellent deal on a set of almost brand new 235/55/20 Bridgestone Blizzak dm-v2 tires. Can I put them on 20" rims with 8.5" width (20x8.5)? The OEM wheels are 20x8.
Old 10-28-21, 06:52 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!

My mother recently replaced her 2010 Lexus RX350 with a 2021. She had a set of winter tires and rims for the old 2010: 235/60R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUVs. These tires were practically new, having been purchased in late 2019 and barely used in 2020 or 2021. If my math serves me correctly, they are ~739.2mm in diameter. The new RX, however, has 235/55R20 tires of ~766.5mm diameter. This makes the old tires 3.6% smaller than the new ones.

As I understand, the old rule of thumb for a passenger car type chassis was that it was generally acceptable to go +/- 3% on tire size, with the smaller the deviation the better. My father thinks that the old winter tires can be equipped to the new car, but I'm wondering: are there any potential risks of doing so, beyond a slightly inaccurate odometer/speedometer and a loss of about 1/2" in ground clearance? Could it throw off some sensors? Could there be any drivetrain problems from the higher-than-anticipated final drive?

As you can imagine, we'd be very interested in not having to spend the extra money on a new set of snow tires when the old ones are practically new. But it would be madness to potentially damage a vehicle just to save some money on tires. Do you folks have any guidance on this? Has anyone done it before?

Thanks.

Last edited by MTerrence; 10-28-21 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-28-21, 07:02 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MTerrence
Hello!

My mother recently replaced her 2010 Lexus RX350 with a 2021. She had a set of winter tires and rims for the old 2010: 235/60R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUVs. These tires were practically new. If my math serves me correctly, they are ~739.2mm in diameter. The new RX, however, has 235/55R20 tires of ~766.5mm diameter. This makes the old tires 3.6% smaller than the new ones.

As I understand, the old rule of thumb for a passenger car type chassis was that it was generally acceptable to go +/- 3% on tire size, with the smaller the deviation the better. My father thinks that the old winter tires can be equipped to the new car, but I'm wondering: are there any potential risks of doing so, beyond a slightly inaccurate odometer/speedometer and a loss of about 1/2" in ground clearance? Could it throw off some sensors? Could there be any drivetrain problems from the higher-than-anticipated final drive?
As you can imagine, we'd be very interested in not having to spend the extra money on a new set of snow tires when the old ones are practically new. But it would be madness to potentially damage a vehicle just to save some money on tires. Do you folks have any guidance on this? Has anyone done it before? Thanks.
I'd worry more about using 11 yrs old tires than anything else, rubber degrades just by sitting still and if parked outside the degrade is even more/faster.
I'd NOT trust my life to 11 yrs old tires!
Old 10-28-21, 07:05 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I'd worry more about using 11 yrs old tires than anything else, rubber degrades just by sitting still and if parked outside the degrade is even more/faster.
I'd NOT trust my life to 11 yrs old tires!
I apologize for the confusion; the RX 350 was 11 years old, but the tires were not. The tires were purchased, I believe, in late 2019.
Old 10-28-21, 07:25 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not a tire expert but I'd use them if it were me. My dealer purchased winter tires size is P235/65R18 and not sure if a 5% difference in aspect ratio will be a big issue. Any experts in our midst to advise?

I apologize for the confusion; the RX 350 was 11 years old, but the tires were not. The tires were purchased, I believe, in late 2019.
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (10-29-21)
Old 10-28-21, 08:54 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Hello!

My mother recently replaced her 2010 Lexus RX350 with a 2021. She had a set of winter tires and rims for the old 2010: 235/60R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUVs. These tires were practically new, having been purchased in late 2019 and barely used in 2020 or 2021. If my math serves me correctly, they are ~739.2mm in diameter. The new RX, however, has 235/55R20 tires of ~766.5mm diameter. This makes the old tires 3.6% smaller than the new ones.

As you can imagine, we'd be very interested in not having to spend the extra money on a new set of snow tires when the old ones are practically new. But it would be madness to potentially damage a vehicle just to save some money on tires. Do you folks have any guidance on this? Has anyone done it before?

Thanks.
I would NOT use those tires. Just sell them & get the correct size for the new car. It’s not worth the risk & frustration. Tire shops may not even touch it due to liability. Buy new & start over.
Old 10-28-21, 02:58 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Hello!

If it makes you feel better, the 2021 RX has a factory option for a 235/65/R18 tire. If you do the math using that one as the base, your 235/60R18s are almost exactly 3% smaller. tiresize.com/tires/Lexus/RX/2021/350/ lists the 235/60R18 as an alternative size for the 2021 RX350. That's not a recommendation on their part, as I think they are just doing the same math you are doing.

My bet is that using the tires will be fine, especially since they are smaller than OEM. However, I'd be inclined to sell them and buy a new tire closer to OEM spec if it were my vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
gadgetman1 (10-29-21), raylor4 (10-29-21)
Old 10-29-21, 01:46 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

MTerrance - I understand your reluctance to buy four new snow tires when you have four with almost no wear. If your Mother has M+S (mud and snow) tires on her car, and her driving is mostly around town on flat streets, city driving those tires should be good enough. If she drives in the mountains in snow, then snow tires are the way to go. Since you bought snow tires in late 2019, didn't use them in 2020 or 2021 (Has it snowed already where you are?), then you should be all right since the tires are only about two years old. There's a date of manufacture on the tire, if you are concerned. I'm going to side with "bamalam" and say that your two-year-old snow tires should be fine. Ignore the reduction in tire diameter. As to throwing off the sensors, that would be true if you had an 18" tire on one side, and a 20" tire on the other. But hey, what do I know? I'm just another bozo on the bus.

Last edited by raylor4; 10-29-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 02:53 PM
PacNW
5th Gear

Default What years of RX 18" rims will fit a 2021 RX450hl?

What years of old 18" RX rims will fit a 2021 RX? Can I go back to 2019? Gen 3? Gen 2?

Thoughts on finding used or refurbished rims besides eBay?

New RX450hl owner.
Planning to use Blizzard or XIce 235/65R18's. Probably Costco install.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this great thread!
Old 01-01-22, 07:21 PM
MY20RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PacNW
What years of old 18" RX rims will fit a 2021 RX? Can I go back to 2019? Gen 3? Gen 2?

Thoughts on finding used or refurbished rims besides eBay?

New RX450hl owner.
Planning to use Blizzard or XIce 235/65R18's. Probably Costco install.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this great thread!
2016-2019 Lexus RX 18x8 7-Spoke Wheel
$600 Whole set with OEM caps in A condition from "Santa Ana Wheel"
235/65R18 Tires and TPMS from Costco

Have been 2 seasons

Last edited by MY20RX; 01-01-22 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims