RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: What sort of paint protection do you have?
PPF such as Xpel film or other manufacturer
35.71%
Paint overcoat such as Opticoat or other manufacturer
14.29%
Third option I didn't list, post in comments
14.29%
Nothing needed, save your money
35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Paint Protection Film, Opticoat, or ??? for New RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 01:12 PM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll on Paint Protection Film, Opticoat, or ??? for New RX

Hoping to see what people prefer for their RX before I spend $1-4.5k

I have Nightfall Mica and it got keyed the 6th day I had it, 3 panels so ~1800 damage (claimed under comprehensive insurance though)
Old 09-14-16, 02:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Xpel on front of car, bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors and door edges, door cups. More traditional synthetic wax used all over. Wish I'd used Xpel on rear bumper too. Only ding on car from loading propane tank into back.
Old 09-14-16, 03:07 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NealKBrown
Hoping to see what people prefer for their RX before I spend $1-4.5k

I have Nightfall Mica and it got keyed the 6th day I had it, 3 panels so ~1800 damage (claimed under comprehensive insurance though)

shop a few more place and get quote, don't go to dealer, they outsource it to other small company anyway

http://www.eco-tint.com/eco-tint-las-vegas/

this is the place i go in Vegas, they do quite a few large dealership around Vegas, they did my front bumper, fender, foglight, headlight, hood, door edge + door cup for $799 with xpel or llumar don't remember,
Old 09-14-16, 05:18 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your RX getting keyed! I remember reading about that on another tread. Made me cringe! Some people are just jerks!!!

Nevertheless, here is my advise on PPF and coatings. I was originally planning of getting my entire car wrapped in Paint Protection Film! And, sure, I was quoted $5000 to do a wrap on the whole car, but in my opinion, it was worth it. So, I dropped the car off at my detailer/PPF installer. Couple of days later, I got a call and was told that I could make a choice: PPF the whole car but with a lot of relief cut lines, or PPF the highly vulnerable bits and coat the rest. It turns out the design of the RX is not paint protection film friendly. Specifically, I was told that areas around the mirror, above the taillight in rear quarter panel, and the part under the rear glass was too difficult to stick down. Since I did not want to see PPF seams and cut-lines all over my car...I opted to go for film and coating.

So, I did Suntek Paint Protection Film (personally think it looks better than XPEL) on Full Hood, Full Fenders, Full Bumper, Grille Slats, Headlights, Fog Lights, Mirror Caps, A-Pillar, Leading Edge of Roof, Door Cups, Door Edge Guards, Door Sills, and Rear Bumper. Finally, over all surfaces (paint and film), I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ceramic Coating Applied. Total Cost...$3000, which was totally reasonable. Make sure who ever installs your film/coating preps the paint correctly first!
By the way...there is a lot of information here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...act-steps.html

I say film the parts you think will sustain the most damage from you and the roads you drive on. Then do a coating over everything, or at the very least a good sealant/wax. I'm partial to 3M Performance Finish Synthetic Wax. Will this stop people keying your car...no! But, it should shield the car from the elements.

Old 09-14-16, 05:54 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree with Curry.

Put the ppf on the most vulnerable parts, hood, front fenders etc.
It will protect it from rock chips but not larger sharp debri. Something hit my front fender and cut through the xpel. Luckily it was a small scratch on the paint, but it could have been way worse.

Get a ceramic coating for the rest of the paint. It makes washing easier and if any bird poops on it, helps to remove it as well.
Old 09-14-16, 07:16 PM
AJD
5th Gear

I have Xpel Ultimate ($1475) on the front end (bumper, full hood, full fenders, and mirrors) and Opti-Coated the film and rest of the vehicle.
Old 09-15-16, 07:03 AM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all the opinions and love your autumn shimmer Curryolla. We shall have to agree to disagree about the wheel inserts

I have a few weeks to make up my mind because I have to wait for my new paint to cure.