RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Auto High Beam Disappears

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 05:28 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just back from dealership to resolve intelligent high beams that stopped working 100% of the time. My fix was related to the switch button harness had slipped loose. It went across all 3 butttons until none of them worked and the backlighting went out as well.

Old 11-11-18, 03:35 PM
does185
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. This resolved the same problem on my 2017 ES350. This feature malfunctioned from the day I picked it up brand new. Brought it in twice with no result. No response from Lexus engineers. Told the dealer I did not want the car. As a last resort the service manager agreed to take the steps outlined in this post. It has not malfunctioned since. So thankful for forums like this.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (02-03-22)
Old 12-07-18, 07:15 PM
RLM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2016 Lexus RX 450H is now doing this all the time. About a year ago, Lexus service had the car for a month and could not fix it. They determined it was the film on the lens.

After cleaning the lens it has worked up until now. I think.

Because of Standard Time doing more night driving so much more noticeable.

This issue is back, and my window is spotlessly clean.

I do not get it. My Lexus only has 17K miles.

Lexus America needs to do something. This is a unresolved problem.

It is not their style to ignore their customers problems with their cars.

Hopefully this post will help.
Old 12-08-18, 08:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

That's why I use Krown rust proofing spray in the engine bay! Not for the rust but to coat all the electronic terminals with it to prevent oxidation which the Achille's heel of all these cars.
Old 02-10-19, 06:49 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Hi-Beam Issue

Can anyone help? Ever since I bought my vehicle (2017 RX350 Non-Hybrid w/Luxury Pkg), the Auto Hi-Beams have not been staying on consistently. When I turn it on, it works for a few minutes & then the "Auto" light icon on the instrument cluster will go out & the system stops functioning. Just the low beams are on. So I push the button on the dash to turn it "off", the hi-beams come back on, then push the button back in and it doesn't work. I then turn the system off and keep it off for a few minutes and then push the button...and the "Auto" light comes back on & it works again. Sometimes I'll push the light stalk forward & push the button & it doesn't even come on at first. So I try a few minutes later and it works. But then, only for a few minutes. Maybe 5. Maybe 10....and then, for no reason, I'll look at the instrument cluster & the "Auto" light will have gone out and the auto hi-beam feature is no longer functioning. I took it to the dealer a few times and it worked for them. Even though I explained the issue thoroughly, they said it's an unusual situation their tech can't figure it out. I don't use the feature all that much, which is why I haven't raised the roof about it since it hasn't worked consistently since I bought the vehicle new in Feb 2017, but one would expect all features on a brand new Lexus to work and it's the only feature on the vehicle that has not worked reliably & consistently. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-19, 07:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes, there is a problem with the "new" design Auto High Beam system and apparently a solution that is described in the following thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...isappears.html

This problem seems to be in all vehicles made by Toyota that have the camera attached directly to the windshield. The problem does not exist with the older AHB system that has the hanging camera.
Old 02-10-19, 08:37 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I turn it off anyway, the frequency of on & off is annoying to me. I prefer the manual way.
Old 02-11-19, 07:18 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
I turn it off anyway, the frequency of on & off is annoying to me. I prefer the manual way.
I agree. More trouble than it's worth.
Old 02-11-19, 07:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Another "Useless" feature of the kind we did it because we could and not because it's useful.
Old 02-11-19, 08:24 AM
kg11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the usefulness depends on the traffic patterns, but for me it's very useful. Driving on semi-rural roads where cars are spaced far enough apart that it is constant high/low switching. Deer and wildlife make it better to use high as much as possible. However, it seems to disable itself quietly when the window needs defrosting.
Old 02-11-19, 07:28 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Have no problem with mine in rural areas (the only place I use it), it's great turns on/off as required, occasionally a large road sign will reflect and turn off high beam but very quickly comes back again.
Old 03-08-19, 07:35 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tkspeedy5...THANK YOU! I have been having this same issue with my 2017 RX since purchase & dealer could not figure it out. I finally turned to this site & found this thread. When I saw your post & printed it & took it to my dealer. Luckily, the Service Manager there was quite willing to try this at no charge since, even though my warranty has expired, it was noted that I had been complaining about it for a long time. Anyway, they did exactly what was described and tonight I tested it for the first time. Stayed on the entire way home whereas before it would disengage after about 10 minutes and then go on/off sporadically. I really appreciate your sharing this!
Old 03-23-19, 12:48 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a slightly different issue with no resolution from dealer. 2017 RX350, Triple Beam LED, Luxury Package

While driving at night on a highway, (70 MPH), and on Auto High Beam. The "Auto High Beam" function works without any issue. But if i give a left lane change signal, the entire headlight unit turns off (both right and left), and the navigation screen display changes to "day" setting (with bright blue back ground, rather than dark gray background); this is very spooky, imagine the road outside going pitch back and you getting blinded by bright light inside the cabin from the navigation screen.

This happens for 2-4 seconds max and then everything goes back to normal. And, this happens at random, and only with left turn signal. No issues with right turn signal.

The dealer's replies were as expected: "We cannot detect any issues using our diagnostic tools", "We cannot fix a problem that we cannot reproduce", "Are you turning lights off instead of hitting the turn signal?"

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Old 03-23-19, 01:11 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
The dealer's replies were as expected: "We cannot detect any issues using our diagnostic tools", "We cannot fix a problem that we cannot reproduce", "Are you turning lights off instead of hitting the turn signal?"

Any thoughts?
I suggest using a dash cam to capture these events so you can show videos to the dealer. It isn't necessary to do a full blown dash cam install with hidden wires, etc. Just mount the dash cam on the top of your dashboard or on your windshield with a suction mount and plug it in to a 12V port.
Old 05-09-19, 10:50 AM
HeavyEnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirmation of resolution

Thank you tkspeedy5!

I too had the same afflictions described. I printed out this thread and provided it to my service dealer: New Country Lexus of Latham, NY.
They cleaned both the camera lens and windshield surfaces during the service visit. That was at least 3 weeks ago.
The issue has not returned since service. Prior to service, the issue happened at least every weekday I drove to work.

SOLVED! Thank you once again for sharing tkspeedy5! SOLVED, SOLVED, SOLVED!!!

Quick Reply: Auto High Beam Disappears