RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Auto High Beam Disappears

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 04:40 AM
Pahoof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Department Refuses to listen

I have the same issue on my 2017 rx350 and have taken it back to the dealer 3 times. The service department refuses to listen and just repeatedly says it's not showing any errors on the system. I told them this time I am not picking it up until they fix it. So frustrating.
Old 06-04-19, 05:37 PM
Hurleyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pahoof
I have the same issue on my 2017 rx350 and have taken it back to the dealer 3 times. The service department refuses to listen and just repeatedly says it's not showing any errors on the system. I told them this time I am not picking it up until they fix it. So frustrating.
Did you print out this thread and show them the solution that tkspeedy5 posted? If so, and they won't try it, then you probably have a few options. You could go to a different dealership but that I'm sure you thought of.

You could also contact Lexus Customer Care. They actually helped me work out an issue with a dealer once before. They opened a case and someone was assigned to investigate my complaint with the dealer. The issue had to do with a 1 year old RX that was covered under Lexus CPO. The wheels were repainted at the dealership (probably due to curb scuffing) prior to me purchasing it. The paint was pealing off a year later. The issue became who was going to be financially responsible to properly restore the finish. At the end of the investigation the dealer offered to pay 50% and Lexus gave me the other 50%. You have multiple people here in this post saying this issue has been solved for them. You have a right to know why they won't try this solution and Lexus should be able to open a case for your complaint just as they did for me.
Old 06-05-19, 04:15 AM
Pahoof
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hurleyman
Did you print out this thread and show them the solution that tkspeedy5 posted? If so, and they won't try it, then you probably have a few options. You could go to a different dealership but that I'm sure you thought of.

You could also contact Lexus Customer Care. They actually helped me work out an issue with a dealer once before. They opened a case and someone was assigned to investigate my complaint with the dealer. The issue had to do with a 1 year old RX that was covered under Lexus CPO. The wheels were repainted at the dealership (probably due to curb scuffing) prior to me purchasing it. The paint was pealing off a year later. The issue became who was going to be financially responsible to properly restore the finish. At the end of the investigation the dealer offered to pay 50% and Lexus gave me the other 50%. You have multiple people here in this post saying this issue has been solved for them. You have a right to know why they won't try this solution and Lexus should be able to open a case for your complaint just as they did for me.
I have provided them with video of the issue from my phone, printed out this thread, and spoke with the lead technician. He said they have a protocol to follow and that if other service centers have not followed it then they will have to answer for that. They did agree to keep it and try to reproduce the error again and had it out for an extended drive last night (per my Lexus Enform app). Ironically, one of the service techs said he has the same issue with his 2018 450 AND the loaner car they gave me (2019 RX 350 with 650 miles on the ODO) did the same thing on my drive home last night! Clearly a design flaw! I did start a case with Lexus corporate yesterday and am awaiting a call from the assigned case manager. I also have an appt scheduled with another dealer just in case. I took these steps after looking into my State's consumer protection laws. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-06-19, 10:36 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to thank everybody that has contributed this thread, especially tkspeedy5 for his/her write up. My car was also having the same issue and I ended up printing out his/her write up and taking it to my dealer for my 50k mile service. During the service, I brought up this issue and gave them the write up. Of course, my SA said this was the first time that she has ever heard of this problem. I left the car with them and she called me a couple of hours later and said that in order for them to "fix" the issue, they have to duplicate it so the shop foreman would have to take the car home to try and duplicate the issue. Next morning and I receive a call and she said that the shop foreman was NOT able to duplicate the issue. Of course, I'm surprised because it happens on every drive I go on where the headlights turn on. My thought is it did happen but since the shop foreman can't look down 100% of the time, he's missing it when it happens. Anyway, she said that even though he couldn't duplicate the error, they're going to go ahead and follow the instructions on the print out and as a courtesy, perform the fix as outlined in the print out.

Fast forward after getting the car back and I didn't have any night driving for a week so I couldn't confirm if the fix worked or not. We had a Vegas trip planned for the weekend and so we took the car on the drive at night and the high beam symbol did turn off once so it seems like it worked. Interesting, while we were in Vegas on the strip, I noticed a couple of times where it turned off the high beam symbol but I'm guessing because it was getting confused with all of the lights on the strip but since then, driving at night has been fine so it seems that the fix is truly a fix.

Good luck to all.
Old 11-08-19, 07:49 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Lexus owners are lucky they get this fixed under warranty. My wife's 2017 RAV4 has developed the same problem and Toyota systematically refuses to acknowledge and fix the issue (2 dealer visits and two calls to Toyota customer service so far). Referencing this and other forum threads does not help - neither is my video documenting the problem.

I am officially giving up and will be fixing it myself.
Old 01-17-20, 06:21 AM
BillPalmer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the story
Old 01-17-20, 06:28 AM
Pahoof
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pahoof
I have provided them with video of the issue from my phone, printed out this thread, and spoke with the lead technician. He said they have a protocol to follow and that if other service centers have not followed it then they will have to answer for that. They did agree to keep it and try to reproduce the error again and had it out for an extended drive last night (per my Lexus Enform app). Ironically, one of the service techs said he has the same issue with his 2018 450 AND the loaner car they gave me (2019 RX 350 with 650 miles on the ODO) did the same thing on my drive home last night! Clearly a design flaw! I did start a case with Lexus corporate yesterday and am awaiting a call from the assigned case manager. I also have an appt scheduled with another dealer just in case. I took these steps after looking into my State's consumer protection laws. Thanks for the suggestions.
Consider yourself lucky if you got this fixed. I filed a case with corporate Lexus and they denied knowledge of the issue, the engineers could not figure out the problem (I provided video of what happens) and so they closed my case with no resolution. It still literally happens all the time when i drive. Not happy with the service or the corporate decision so will consider this when i purchase my next vehicle.
Old 01-17-20, 06:45 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I brought my 2016 RX350 FSport to local Lexus dealer to fix the same issues (with video proof provided). Dealer opened a tech-line or case with Lexus. I was told Lexus said it's normal because there is too much light to make the Auto High Beam shuts off automatically. In other words, there is no fix because it shuts off itself when the camera senses there is too much light therefore the green icon will disappear and will come back automatically when the condition improves.
Old 01-17-20, 07:05 AM
Pahoof
Driver School Candidate

That doesn't make sense. The lights would shut off, the whole system should not stop working!
Old 01-17-20, 07:24 AM
mnemons
Rookie

I agree, I told the dealer the same thing. The service adviser agrees that Auto High Beam is pretty much a useless option unless you were driving in a pitch-dark environment.
Old 01-17-20, 09:40 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemons
I agree, I told the dealer the same thing. The service adviser agrees that Auto High Beam is pretty much a useless option unless you were driving in a pitch-dark environment.
Mine works well, howeverI can't think of a time when it would be useful except on a somewhat straight country road, something we don't have where I live. On curvy roads I find it much better to use manual to avoid blinding an oncoming car. It's useless in the city.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 10:14 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 378 Posts

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to when trying it out right after getting my 17 RX. I just flip the brights on and off like I've always done. No problem.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 11:25 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I brought my 2016 RX350 FSport to local Lexus dealer to fix the same issues (with video proof provided). Dealer opened a tech-line or case with Lexus. I was told Lexus said it's normal because there is too much light to make the Auto High Beam shuts off automatically. In other words, there is no fix because it shuts off itself when the camera senses there is too much light therefore the green icon will disappear and will come back automatically when the condition improves.
That's how it is supposed to work, when you need it and that's not when you have all kinds of other lights around. That's why it auto dims when oncoming traffic is approaching.
Old 01-17-20, 02:38 PM
Pahoof
Driver School Candidate

The high beams should automatically dim but in my case the entire auto high beam system shuts down, the "auto" icon disappears, they do not turn back on, and i cannot control the high beams manually unless i disengage the system entirely. If i try to disengage and re-engage the system by pressing the button on the dash, the system will usually not turn back on either.
Old 01-17-20, 03:33 PM
mnemons
Rookie

In my case, sometimes, I have to shut off the car and restart in order to see the green Auto High Beam Icon back on the cluster. Yet, the dealer just followed Lexus' instruction not to fix it and said the the disappearance of the icon is normal because the camera senses too much light.

Last edited by mnemons; 01-17-20 at 05:42 PM.