RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Upgrading from an NX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 08:50 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Question Upgrading from an NX?

Interested to see if anyone has already upgraded to the new RX from the NX? Wanting to hear opinions on cabin comfort, ride quality and handling between the two from first-hand owners. After a recent road-trip, I realized the NX is just a tad too small for my needs and I'm looking to improve ride and cabin quality.
Old 10-28-16, 07:16 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

My wife has a 16 NX, I have a 16 RX.

- The cabin quality is equally impressive in both.
- The NX steering and handling is tighter.
- The RX feels (and is of course) significantly larger, both the interior and while driving, i.e. a higher up profile from the road. So the ride quality is like going from a compact to mid-size sedan.

You obviously have to drive it. They are both fine SUVs but they do drive quite differently.

I feel Lexus is targeting a younger demographic and probably more toward women with the NX. The new RX unlike the previous soccer mom RXs is likely targeted to men.
Old 10-28-16, 01:20 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I owned a 2015 Rx 350, test drove the NX on a short drive, agree with the above comments, however as a previous Rx 350 owner, I decided to go with the 2016 FWD Rx 350 Nightfall Mica sitting in the showroom floor. It has the "Bamboo" interior wood & steering wheel.trim with "Ivory" color seats, trimmed in Brown. The interior rugs and plastic are all Brown. Some other differences I noted follow:
***Back Up Camera has "lines" on the screen now.
***Parking brake no longer a pedal, now electric sets when placed in park (I like it).
***Gas filler door releases by pushing on the access door when car is unlocked.
***Brake "Hill Hold" feature is now activated by electric switch which must be selected each time the engine is started.
***Eight speed transmission
^^^Loss of convenient "Cup Holder" on driver's left by steering wheel.
***Eco or Sport mode "Select" on center console
***Select switch for A/C that directs to Driver Only when activated.
***Steering is more sensitive.
***Twelve Inch Information/Navigation Screen huge and more flexible to show information.
***Speed Limit indicates on Nav Screen on major streets
***Re-positioning of Gear Selectof to center console
***Dual "USB" ports in center console box.
***Sun glass holder is back on overhead console by rear view mirror
***Optional Rear Lift gate/door automatic opener works first time about half of the time for me?
***Optional "Radar Cruise Control" works fine and usefull
***Doors can be locked on any/all door handles now, previously only on front doors
***Plastic covers removed from Engine Bay

Tech Representative gave a one hour overview of all the buttons/switches/features and invited me to return if I desired more.
Old 10-31-16, 12:36 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. Ended up biting the bullet and buying one this weekend. Got a good deal on a 2016 model and traded in the NX lease with some equity left even.
Old 11-01-16, 08:14 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been driving the 16 NX for a week as a loaner while my 4RX is at the dealer. NX reminds me of a fully loaded Rav4. Its night & day from the RX. It's not slow car but the 4 banger just doesn't cut it for me. I can really feel the bumps compare to the RX....just wow.
Old 11-01-16, 09:14 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
It's not slow car but the 4 banger just doesn't cut it for me.
The RX isn't faster though... the NX gets to 60 mph about half a second faster than the RX, almost a whole second faster if comparing AWD.
Old 11-01-16, 09:33 AM
computerwi
Advanced

I have been driving the 16 NX for a week as a loaner while my 4RX is at the dealer. NX reminds me of a fully loaded Rav4. Its night & day from the RX. It's not slow car but the 4 banger just doesn't cut it for me. I can really feel the bumps compare to the RX....just wow.
Agreed. The turbo 4-cyl is actually plenty powerful, it just lacks the refinement of a V6. The ride is also very choppy due to the short wheelbase and the interior noise levels are not as quiet as I would expect from a Lexus. On the other hand, the handling and steering response is definitely better than the RX. Coming from an IS350, I think that's what won me over initially and at the time, the 4th gen RX wasn't out yet. For me, the crossover is meant to be the family hauler so hopefully the RX works better for that.
Old 11-01-16, 11:51 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The RX isn't faster though... the NX gets to 60 mph about half a second faster than the RX, almost a whole second faster if comparing AWD.
yeah sure, watch that engine choke and the turbo spooling. Driving alone, it was a peppy...I floored it a few times. I also driven loaded with 5 people, I really feel the weight. At idle, I was a bit disappointed how I can hear the engine noise....its the same as the RAV4 minus the turbo.

I already made a thread how the RX could use more power compared to its competitors. Please don't mistake assuming that I am complaining its underpowered.... I am not. Most people here chimes in that the 4RX has enough power. I assume most people don't buy Lexus for power or performance which I understand.
Old 11-01-16, 05:10 PM
computerwi
Advanced

...yeah sure, watch that engine choke and the turbo spooling. Driving alone, it was a peppy...I floored it a few times. I also driven loaded with 5 people, I really feel the weight. .
Very true. Loaded with 4 adults and luggage, the turbo definitely bogs down. Passing in the mountains was a struggle during a recent road trip.