RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Ride quality difference between F-Sport and non F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20 | 11:02 PM
thequickad
Rookie

I test drove both 2020 models and chose the F-sport. The F-sport's ride is not harsh at all, even in Sport or Sport+ settings, the rides are both comfortable. The adaptive suspension does a great job. But the F-sport seats are not good, the side bolsters are too aggressive and dig into my upper thigh. My choice was between the Premier or the F-Sport and at the end, I picked F-sport for the nicer instrumentation and sport/sport+ settings. The 8-speed in the RX350 hesitates a lot if not in sport/sport+. I have Michelin tires from the factory and they are decent. Didn't want the 20" wheels but no choice because the F-sport. Was hoping 19" with more rubber but the ride with 20" turned out to be fine. Again, try out the F-sport seats and make sure you really can live with them, as I find the seats bother me more than the ride (which is not harsh at all even with 20" wheels).
Old 06-21-20 | 03:30 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kyle76
I have never driven an F-Sport; however, my 2020 RX350 has paddle shifters and the option of a “sport” driving mode (in addition to regular and eco). My salesman told me that part of the 2020 “refresh” was adding a firmer suspension in addition to more welding points to tighten up the body. Coming from a 2014 RX, I can’t comment on how that differs from models of the last few years, but the ride is definitely a bit firmer with less sway than my 2014. It’s also quieter, according to the noise meter on my Apple Watch, but we’re comparing with a seven-year-old vehicle.
which one is more comfortable or less jittery?
Old 06-24-20 | 09:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 703
which one is more comfortable or less jittery?
The FSport will be LESS comfortable due to the horrendous seats.
Old 08-15-20 | 03:19 PM
Lead Lap

Default F Sport AVS Ride

Have anyone here driven both the F Sport and Non F sport version of the RX?

I want to know if the AVS improves the Daily ride compliance of the car.

Old 08-15-20 | 05:02 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

doesnt make a noticeable difference imo, I couldnt tell from a base and a f sport.
Old 08-15-20 | 05:15 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

For me, the biggest difference was the RX F-Sports didn't bob or dive as much in moderate to heavy braking conditions. In terms of cornering, I like to think the RX F-Sports have a bit of an edge, but honestly there isn't an appreciable difference.

Make sure you're test driving with the right tires too. The Bridgestone Ecopias are just awful and don't grip well, and the Michelin LTXs are moderately better, though not exactly class-leading either.
Old 08-15-20 | 05:44 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

I couldn’t really tell much of a difference between the two.

I loved the sports grille, wheels, gauges, and the red leather of the F sport but I wasn’t to crazy about the seat. I loved its appearance so much that if the luxury package seats weren’t so much more comfortable I would of probably gotten it anyway.

At the time I was a big boy 6’2” 255lbs, with a wide back. It felt like I was wedging my back in between the seats bolsters. Even though I really really wanted the sport to drive so much better so I could overlook the seats, I even recited to myself the on paper differences that would make it so much superior. Honestly if I didn’t look down I couldn’t tell which I was driving. Same thing with the $1000 Leds they look so cool that I wanted them to light so much better than the hids but nope at least in my city environment with tons of lighting the difference was negligible.

I think Lexus has seriously dropped the ball on opening an entirely new wave of customers by not actually creating a F Sport. Especially now that they have different versions of the F. They should keep the pretty appearance package which is all that the F sport is now a days, but then make a top of the line F Sport model that’ll lives up to when they wanted F to be equal to BMW’S M package. The horsepower has to get up to at least in the 450 range either by using a turbo, or putting a V8 in there (not probable) and then give it a real sport suspension.

This would entice people that would never consider a Lexus to consider a Lexus. By keeping the regular FSport you won’t upset your core customers but it will If anything at least make people rethink the Lexus=boring attitude. They have a few sporty cool cars, but nobody’s buying cars anymore.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-15-20 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dannnn (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20 | 06:36 PM
Lead Lap

We have a 3rd gen Rx and a 4th gen GS. The thing about the GS is that the ride is much more compliant and there is no nose dive under normal braking. The 3rd Gen Rx always dip when braking. If anyone came from a 3rd Gen to 4th Gen, how does it compare in this regard?

maybe I need to drive the 2020 model to see if the suspension tuning have improved over the earlier models. I have never driven a f sport but have briefly a 2016 model.

I have also driven the latest RAV4 Hybrid to see how it handles compared to the 3rd gen RX. chassis is stiffer but lots of noise bounces around the cabin.
Old 08-15-20 | 08:43 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
The 3rd Gen Rx always dip when braking. If anyone came from a 3rd Gen to 4th Gen, how does it compare in this regard?
I've had both a regular 3RX and a 3RX F-Sport - so the regular 4RX dives as much as both the 3RXs, while the 4RX F-Sport has a noticeable reduction.

I will say all 4RXs drive a lot better than the 3RXs in the sense that turns are more crisp, body roll is reduced and it feels like you have better control with the overall manoeuvrability of the vehicle. I can take on- and off-ramps at a higher speed with the 4RXs in the same tires without feeling the need to slow down. The 3RXs were also a bit more vague with the steering feel, and it's been improved with the 4RXs.

Though, 4RX F-Sports have a stiffer suspension so you have to be comfortable with that particular tradeoff. It's not as stiff as the 3RX F-Sport where you would've felt every pothole or crack on the road reverberate quite harshly into the cabin, but it's definitely not a cushy ride.