RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket springs for 4th Gen RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17 | 07:42 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Default Anyone running the Tein coilovers?

I just spoke with my wife's cousin in Japan and he told me Tein makes coilovers for the RX. A quick Google search confirmed his statement but I'm unable to find anyone who's posted a review or pics. Looking for links and/or feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by elimmigran; 08-26-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-28-17 | 12:20 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Darith
Sweet I'd love to see if that damper helps with the rocking...it's still hurting my back and my wife complains about the rocking on the semi-sharp turns. I'll ask him about the coil overs for you and see what he says.
Hi Darith,

Any updates?
Old 09-08-17 | 07:09 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Aside from Nigel, does anyone know who sells Modellista springs?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Modellista springs?

I've decided that I don't want coilovers or a 1.5 drop with the RS-Rs. For the record, the F-sport is .75" lower than the base RX. Standard of measure is center of hub to bottom of fender.
Old 09-19-17 | 01:54 AM
robert2423
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Darith
Good news, I spoke with a 4RX owner who lives in Taoyuan District, Taoyuan in Taiwan and it's confirmed he's running RS*R ti-2000 coil overs on his 4RX. Pics to prove it:

RS*R Super i Coil Overs (i Shock Intelligence) for the 4RX
RS*R Super i Coil Overs (i Shock Intelligence) on the 4RX in Taiwan
Any idea what sizes this guy is running it looks great.
Old 09-20-17 | 12:17 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Exclamation RS-R spring and coilover information specific to the 450H AWD F-Sport

Thought it would be useful to share this information which came directly from RS-R.

"Thanks for your call earlier, I'm glad I could help. For reference your chassis code is GYL25W.

First you'll want to look at the images I've attached for the fitment between the springs (RS★R DOWN SUS T299D/T299TD) and coilovers (Super☆i SIT299M) as they are out of the box. As your car is particularly rare, either part would have to be shipped from our Osaka, Japan facility with a wait time of around 6 weeks, or air expedited in 5-7 days.

Some additional production and engineering information for you or the forums:

RS☆R products are made specific to model and drivetrain, and come out of the box tuned for OEM wheel and tire choice. Even between AWD and RWD models, engine choice, and especially hybrid/non-hybrid, there's differences in the weight distribution or damper type that have to be accounted for. Since everyone's been asking, the F-Sport version of the 450h includes AVS, a set of active dampers which are not on the base model. The Japanese notes for both of these products specify they're for the F-Sport only.

Because you're moving to aftermarket wheels and tires, the coilovers would be better to maintain the compliance and ride you mentioned you want. From an engineering perspective, the suspension system includes the wheel mass and tire spring rate; moving to a larger wheel, stiffer or lower profile tire, etc. will change the suspension behavior even when overall diameter is identical. Judging by the setup choice you're mentioning (22R40) you can expect the ride to be more harsh compared to stock as the thinner tires are more stiff and the wheel/tire masses have changed. With coilovers you can dial this harshness out by softening the setup on the suspension side, so your overall ride is again similar to OEM while picking up better roadhandling and significantly reduced body roll.

The following drop information is from our Japanese spec sheet:

SPRINGS [F] 30-35mm (1.2 - 1.4") / [R] 25-30mm (1.0 - 1.2")

COILOVERS are identical out of the box but have a very wide range of adjustability, including ride height and dampening:

[RECOMMENDED] F 20-65mm (0.8 -2.6") / R 25-65 (1.0 - 2.6")

[MAX ADJUST] F 10-125mm (0.4 - 4.9") / R 25-65mm (1.0 - 2.6")

There are a few warnings on the Japanese spec sheet that I want you to be aware of, namely that you'd be losing the AVS active dampening system when switching to our coilovers.

That's about as much as I can cram into one email. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll see what I can do."

First pic is springs. Second pic is coilovers.

I'm concerned about losing the AVS. Should I be? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket springs for 4th Gen RX (merged threads)-gyl25w_f_d-springs-.jpg   Aftermarket springs for 4th Gen RX (merged threads)-gyl25w_fsports_r-coilovers-.jpg  
Old 10-05-17 | 10:26 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Default RSR Lowering springs

Good Morning to All, as my wife loves modding cars and wants to lower her 17 fsport. Besides vossen has anyone else lowered their rx with the rsr springs? Looking for feedback and pictures.
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17 | 10:35 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Good Morning to All, as my wife loves modding cars and wants to lower her 17 fsport. Besides vossen has anyone else lowered their rx with the rsr springs? Looking for feedback and pictures.
Vossen are wheels. Two members here have lowered with RSR springs. I'm in the process of lowering mine as well.

There are pics in this thread.
Old 10-05-17 | 12:24 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Yea sorry I meant vossen owners wifes RX. Ok I will dig.
Old 10-17-17 | 08:40 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Sneak peek...

Took this pic in the workshop garage. Will post better pics tomorrow night.

First RX450H in the North America with RS-R 450H-specific springs on 22x10.5 bronze Vossen VSF2s.

Not digging the bronze too much so will likely custom finish them next month.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket springs for 4th Gen RX (merged threads)-img_3147.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lilboi (10-18-17)
Old 12-02-17 | 03:57 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Thinking about getting springs for my RX F Sport. Just wondering if the RSR Spring drop really ends up being at 1.5". Also, how is the ride after the drop?
Old 12-02-17 | 04:39 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mixman
Thinking about getting springs for my RX F Sport. Just wondering if the RSR Spring drop really ends up being at 1.5". Also, how is the ride after the drop?
Closer to 1”-1.2” in my experience. The ride is a bit stiffer but I’m not sure if it’s because of the thinner tires or the springs because I did both at the same time.
Old 12-04-17 | 06:38 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by elimmigran
Closer to 1”-1.2” in my experience. The ride is a bit stiffer but I’m not sure if it’s because of the thinner tires or the springs because I did both at the same time.
Did the lower springs also improve handling too?
Old 12-04-17 | 06:57 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Did the lower springs also improve handling too?
Yes. Big improvement.
Old 12-06-17 | 07:12 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

One more question if I just get the springs without coilovers, I will still be able to use the F Sport adjustable suspension, correct?
Old 12-06-17 | 07:16 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

One more question if I just get the springs without coilovers, I will still be able to use the F Sport adjustable suspension, correct?
Correct. I have the springs only and the F-Sport electronics will still adjust the dampening of the shocks.

I'm considering switching over to the AirRunner setup in the Spring. I drove an LS with the AirRunner system and the ride and performance is even greater.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket springs for 4th Gen RX (merged threads)