RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket remote start options

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 04:35 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeon
Fliptop, did you disassemble the steering wheel when you installed your HC3? I can't seem to find the steering lock underneath the steering column... Don't tell me I have to disassemble the steering wheel....

i thought 1 of the videos i saw, had the steering lock black conector, between 1 and 3, to the right of the column, set back, the connector was vertical, going up and down, on a fixed portion.
hope this helps, i was just skimming videos a few days ago, and remember something about it.
Old 11-29-19, 04:20 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aeon
Thanks man. It was behind the big white plastic thing with the main oem harness going through it. You need to loosen up a push tab where it meets the metal part to get it loose. I would've tore apart my whole steering wheel before I found it.
excellent, glad you found it,
what kit did you decide ??
looking at the same, my 17 is $160? per year for remote start, 18 is $80 per year, due to the 10 year free safe part.

thanks, and post up results and stuff,
Old 11-29-19, 09:39 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Ahhhhhhhh, thanks
I might skip the trunk release, plus you would have the regular fob with?
Old 08-19-20, 07:03 PM
mishutka
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone isntalled FLCAN remote start with Compustar remote fob

I am highly disappointed with Enform remote start. Started looking at brand name instalation by a dealer.
Found Lexus Rt 10 of NJ - the only one among 4 dealers in my area - willing to install it via their prefered car alarm dealer (Lexus warranty will not be void).
Here is a problem - they are offering only FLCAN remote start, which is supposedly a branch of Compustar.
No Viper or any other DEI offering, like Avital, etc - just Compustar off-spring and not even flagship Compustar offering.
Had anyone heard of FLCAN?
Any suggestions on Lexus dealers to install remote start in Northern NJ?
Would it be worth risking the car warranty to go to an established car alarm dealer?
Thank you in advance
Old 08-19-20, 07:23 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 104 Posts

The FLCAN is actually a rebranded iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module. Believe it or not, when it comes to bypass modules, iDatalink is the premiere company to deal with. Their products have been way better than any DEI product for the last decade. I have been using them for years. They are rock solid. Their documentation and support are outstanding. I had one of their other products ( HC series ) installed in my 2016 RX350. It had a one mile range and never had any issues. And just an FYI, DEI got bought out by AudioVox about 2 months ago. They are now a subsidiary of VOXX Corp.
Old 08-19-20, 09:14 PM
mishutka
Driver

I was looking for some options, but the Lexus dealer offering is quite poor - was looking for more choices.
Not sure if I can go with non-dealer installation and jeopardize the warranty on the car.
Old 08-19-20, 09:23 PM
mishutka
Driver

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
The FLCAN is actually a rebranded iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module. Believe it or not, when it comes to bypass modules, iDatalink is the premiere company to deal with. Their products have been way better than any DEI product for the last decade. I have been using them for years. They are rock solid. Their documentation and support are outstanding. I had one of their other products ( HC series ) installed in my 2016 RX350. It had a one mile range and never had any issues. And just an FYI, DEI got bought out by AudioVox about 2 months ago. They are now a subsidiary of VOXX Corp.
I have a feeling that the whole playing field had evened out so much that regardless of the company, as long it is a brand name, there shall be no problems with alarm/remote start.
I remember how DEI had purchased so many other brands for the last 20 years. Now they are being devoured by Audiovox... what must come up must come down.
Old 12-16-20, 12:27 PM
Acarpenter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy RX lower steering panel removal

Dear friends and fellow owners. Newbie here. I am in a pickle. I purchased a 12 Volt Solutions remote starter kit for my fiancé RX (2017) and am asking if anyone has suggestions on how to remove the lower panel under the steering wheel. It seems the remote starter will take 5 minutes to install and program but it may be a lot to do to get to that point. I got the lower panel partially removed before finding the next one seems very hard and could not find any clips or screws to remove. I know I am wrong. Please help people....Christmas depends on it...HELP SANTA'S
Old 12-16-20, 12:46 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

This YouTube Video should help...
Old 12-16-20, 12:55 PM
Acarpenter
Driver School Candidate

Default thank you

I am sorry. I may not have been clear. I am in understanding of how to install my remote starter. I need to know how to remove the panels under the steering wheel without breaking anything. But I thank you for the reply.
Old 12-16-20, 01:37 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Starting at 0.51 it actually shows the whole disassembly process...

Last edited by FlopTop04; 12-16-20 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 04:51 AM
Acarpenter
Driver School Candidate

Default Sir

You my friend are exactly right. Perfect. Thank you and you literally just saved Christmas.
Old 12-17-20, 05:37 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Gotta love YouTube! It's usually those two steering wheel screws at 10 and 2 O'clock that get you the first time. The cold weather doesn't help when separating the upper and lower cover, either.
Old 12-17-20, 12:07 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone tried the MPC remote start? Thinking of getting that for my RX, it's half the price of the 12volt one.
Old 12-17-21, 03:26 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

With winter coming on and some performance issues with the Lexus remote start and phone app, I installed an iDataStart HC3 two-way long range remote start in my 2018 RX350. I went the easy way* with the T-Harness so that there was only one hardwire connection necessary. Works great, good range, 15 minute run time and Parking Lights come on while remote started. Wife is happy - factory FOB range was too short for her and the iPhone App was hit or miss on her phone. The phone app worked a little better on my android phone. I will probably drop the $80 Lexus add-on next time it comes due.

* Some driver side lower dash panels must be removed for the install but start-to-finish install time was less than 2 hours. The lone hardwire connection is necessary if you want the iDataStart remotes to control the rear hatch, otherwise it's just the two T-Harness connections.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start options